Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sooo... what do you think of this offseason now?

What do you think of this offseason now 43 members have voted

  1. 1. What do you think of this offseason now

    • Excellent offseason 
      0%
      0
    • Good offseason 
      41%
      18
    • Neutral 
      37%
      16
    • Bad offseason 
      18%
      8
    • Worst offseason ever 
      2%
      1

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

  • Author
 Cespedes value has to decreasing daily, he's that guy the Marlins need to expand the payroll for.

 

Admin? Thoughts? Would the front office agree with this if his demands drop?

 

 

Ok but where do they put the power bat?

 

if they would had traded Ozuna then that's were the PB would have fit.  Since ther'e no PB coming they must take another SP to make the team contenders at least in papers

 

 

  • Author
if they would had traded Ozuna then that's were the PB would have fit.  Since ther'e no PB coming they must take another SP to make the team contenders at least in papers

 

Peanut Butter? wtf?

 

Peanut butter Yelly time?

 

 

  • Author
Yes but I doubt his demands drop enough, I still think he ends up back with Detroit

 

That's fair, and I agree with it. Loria would take him but Cespedes is gonna hold out for a lot.

 

 

What everyone is forgetting is that Alvarez basically didn't pitch at all last season.  Adding Chen isn't replacing Alvarez, he is replacing one of the many mediocre arms that we were shuffling in and out of our rotation last season.  Would a healthy Alvarez improve us this season?  Yes, but you would still have to consider Alvarez an addition and not subtraction.  I'm "neutral" with this offseason and I'm hoping that by ST I can feel that it was a good offseason.  Sign Kennedy, or trade for a Cashner type of young bounce back candidate and it will really shape up our rotation. 

 

On the Cespedes front, (and I'm a Cespedes fan) if we are going to go for a power bat and spend that kind of money I would rather go all in for Davis.  Can you imagine Stanton and Davis in the same lineup?  At that point you can trade Bour whose isn't even arbitration eligible yet, for another arm even if it's a back of the rotation arm.  I know that's a pipe dream also, but banking on Davis I think is a safer bet than banking on Cespedes.

 

 

i'm content with keeping ozuna around instead of cespedes who i think would be horrible here.  i'd just like one more legit #3 (that's the best of what's left out there) and i'd feel better about the season until Stanton trips, falls, and breaks his leg coming out of the dugout on opening day.

 

 

Bad offseason. The Chen signing basically replaces Henderson Alvarez whom they let go. All of the other moves made recently are pretty "whatever" at best.

 

I don't understand this logic at all. They let Alvarez go because his arm was hanging on by a thread. How is this even remotely the same thing?

 

 

I think its been a solid offseason. I was telling my brother today that this seems like the offseason a normal team would have... I would still love another SP, but I'm pleased with what they've done so far. Not trading Ozuna has probably been their biggest move so far - give Bonds and Mattingly a year to try and figure him out first!

 

 

What everyone is forgetting is that Alvarez basically didn't pitch at all last season.  Adding Chen isn't replacing Alvarez, he is replacing one of the many mediocre arms that we were shuffling in and out of our rotation last season.  Would a healthy Alvarez improve us this season?  Yes, but you would still have to consider Alvarez an addition and not subtraction.  I'm "neutral" with this offseason and I'm hoping that by ST I can feel that it was a good offseason.  Sign Kennedy, or trade for a Cashner type of young bounce back candidate and it will really shape up our rotation. 

 

On the Cespedes front, (and I'm a Cespedes fan) if we are going to go for a power bat and spend that kind of money I would rather go all in for Davis.  Can you imagine Stanton and Davis in the same lineup?  At that point you can trade Bour whose isn't even arbitration eligible yet, for another arm even if it's a back of the rotation arm.  I know that's a pipe dream also, but banking on Davis I think is a safer bet than banking on Cespedes.

 

Totally forgot about Crush. Hell yeah id be all in for that. The Marlins haven't had a lefty basher since the new stadium. 335 in right field with the new field dimensions. A new power alley on the 2nd deck?!?

 

But what's Bours value?

 

 

No, this isn't the NBA where pretty much every team makes the playoffs and the regular season does not matter.

 

An offseason that improves the team is a good one. An offseason that makes the team worse is a bad one. If a team makes moves now that ultimately win the team a World Series in 2017, does that make this a bad offseason? Baseball is a much more long-term, slow play sport. One good basketball player could make the 76ers into the Warriors, but put Mike Trout on the Braves and they still lose 90 games.

 

For most teams this is true, but this doesn't work for the Marlins.  It;s been 13 years and I am not getting younger.  I'm fucking tired of the take 1 step, take 2 steps yo-yo that this team has been since the Loria regime.  World Series would be great but right now but I'd settle for post-season.  

 

 

Marlins have added really 1 pitcher, 1 reliever and a 1b asshole platoon bad thats not really good defensively and now all of a sudden things are great? 

 

Fans are easy to please.  One injury due to dick for depth kills this team.  The underlining issues have not been resolved at all.  Can't wait til they sell the next competitive balance pick because you know, its what they do, instead of building from within.  

 

The Chen signing is good, he is a solid #3.  Still no #2, could have gotten one earlier this winter.  Or could have traded to..oh wait, the Marlins have dick for a system, scratch that.  

 

Dee Gordon was going to get done because Dee Gordon wanted it to get done and took the very club happy deal they offered.  Not exactly rocket science there.  

 

 

Marlins have added really 1 pitcher, 1 reliever and a 1b asshole platoon bad thats not really good defensively and now all of a sudden things are great? 

 

Fans are easy to please.  One injury due to dick for depth kills this team.  The underlining issues have not been resolved at all.  Can't wait til they sell the next competitive balance pick because you know, its what they do, instead of building from within.  

 

The Chen signing is good, he is a solid #3.  Still no #2, could have gotten one earlier this winter.  Or could have traded to..oh wait, the Marlins have dick for a system, scratch that.  

 

Dee Gordon was going to get done because Dee Gordon wanted it to get done and took the very club happy deal they offered.  Not exactly rocket science there.  

 

The biggest issues with last season were that Alvarez, Fernandez, Stanton, yelich, hechavarria etc missed significant time in the season. 

 

I agree the moves made so far aren't enough but starting the season with a healthy Fernandez and Stanton we've already improved from last season. We aren't that close yet but you can't just add the wins our new acquisitions bring, you have to factor the guys returning from injury also. 

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.