Your off-season shopping spree

Admin

Ohh. didn't know that. Seems kinda stupid though. Or more like a technicality because what team is gonna bother trading for him when they could wait until Tuesday if they really want him.

Yes which is why the Marlins apparently have given up on the trade idea and will just decline the option. They will have to pay him a buyout of I think 400k too

Yeah don't get how people aren't getting the fact that Ozuna's value isn't a Salazar or Carrasco. We even asked for those two last offseason in an Ozuna trade and were told no. Despite an improved season this year Ozuna's value is still Trevor Bauer. Salazar/Carrasco are cornerstone pieces for the Indians and not being traded. 

You look at Bauer and there's legit potential there, just a ton of inconsistency. His month of June this year (2.01) was better than anything a Marlins pitcher has done this season other than Jose. It's clear that he's a legit top end starter talent who with the right coaching could be a star.

That wouldn't happen in Miami, so I wouldn't want him in an Indians trade, but he has star potential for somebody.

Yeah don't get how people aren't getting the fact that Ozuna's value isn't a Salazar or Carrasco. We even asked for those two last offseason in an Ozuna trade and were told no. Despite an improved season this year Ozuna's value is still Trevor Bauer. Salazar/Carrasco are cornerstone pieces for the Indians and not being traded. 

You look at Bauer and there's legit potential there, just a ton of inconsistency. His month of June this year (2.01) was better than anything a Marlins pitcher has done this season other than Jose. It's clear that he's a legit top end starter talent who with the right coaching could be a star.

That wouldn't happen in Miami, so I wouldn't want him in an Indians trade, but he has star potential for somebody.

Ozuna is a terrible center field and such an inconsistent hitter. I do not know how much value he has even for an "all star". He was good for 4 months his whole career (2 last year and 2 months prior seasons).

Ozuna is a terrible center field and such an inconsistent hitter. I do not know how much value he has even for an "all star". He was good for 4 months his whole career (2 last year and 2 months prior seasons).

No. You're just wrong and I hate every opinion you've ever had.

But for real that comment just isn't right. He was a 5 WAR outfielder in '14 and around an .800 OPS guy this past year. He might not have top value but you're incredibly naive to say he has little to no value just because you don't like the way he plays.

Based on .OPS Ozuna was one of the five best outfielders in the entire National League the first half of the season. That is better than Bryce Harper,  Dexter Fowler, and even Giancarlo Stanton/Christian Yelich were to start the year. He was putting up incredible production and fell off due to inconsistency. That hurts his value, sure. But it doesn't take it any lower than it should be. Which is at the very least a legit #3 starter in the major leagues with #2 potential.

Based on .OPS Ozuna was one of the five best outfielders in the entire National League the first half of the season. That is better than Bryce Harper,  Dexter Fowler, and even Giancarlo Stanton/Christian Yelich were to start the year. He was putting up incredible production and fell off due to inconsistency. That hurts his value, sure. But it doesn't take it any lower than it should be. Which is at the very least a legit #3 starter in the major leagues with #2 potential.

Yes he had 2 good months last year. My opinion sucks because I watch the games, I am not into saber metrics and memorizing their hat and waist size and whether they wear briefs or boxers during the game. I leave that to Mike Hill and Co. to figure out. I know their averages, their slugging, and their fielding. I know he has trouble catching a ball over his head and playing caroms off the wall. I apologize for being a shitty fan.

None of this is about sabermetrics. It's common sense. And I watch the games. Many people who also like to keep even basic numbers in mind watch games as well. That doesn't make your opinion on this any less terrible.

Defensive metrics have Ozuna mostly as a slightly above average defensive outfielder. If you want to see bad outfielders in Marlins history please go watch video of Chris Coghlan and Logan Morrison playing left field.

Ohh. didn't know that. Seems kinda stupid though. Or more like a technicality because what team is gonna bother trading for him when they could wait until Tuesday if they really want him.

It's just what I thought,too,but at the same time I think another Loria would trade for him to save about 50K minor league deal money.

MLB.com has a list of pending free agents and for the Marlins it says Rodney could be a trade piece as the Marlins are unlikely to pick up his option. Am I wrong or is that not how this works? If they don't pick up his option isn't he a free agent and thus can't be traded? He'd have to have the option picked up before he can be traded if trading him was the plan, right? Anyone clarify this? (not you [uSER=5078]@pollyvonwog[/uSER] I don't have time to wait)

my people are looking into this and will have some clarity for you ASAP

"legit top-end starter talent but no because Marlins" seems an odd argument.

Defensive metrics have Ozuna mostly as a slightly above average defensive outfielder. If you want to see bad outfielders in Marlins history please go watch video of Chris Coghlan and Logan Morrison playing left field.

No way is he slightly above average CFer. I have to delve into their formula. He has a rocket arm tho for sure but so many balls get by him or over his head and the countless doubles he turns into triples. I would say Bryan Peterson is the best CFer the marlins had

"legit top-end starter talent but no because Marlins" seems an odd argument.

It's because I don't trust the current staff to turn potential like Bauer into legitimate numbers. Under a different system Bauer is worth a chance but he would be ruined here in my own opinion.

So are we all pretty much in agreement that if we somehow had good starting pitching this team can compete?

With last year's production sure. I don't think we're all in agreement that guys like Realmuto, Ichiro, Bour, and Prado will perform as well as they did last season. That may become a wash if Stanton returns to form, but there were definitely overperforming players in our lineup last season.