Jeter's Payroll Trimming Plan? Trade Stanton, Gordon, and Prado

They are going to want a trade partner to eat as much of Stanton's salary as possible, which means that the Marlins will not get exciting prospects back in return for him.

Ozuna and Yelich are the only trade pieces the Marlins have that would yield exciting prospects. Although Straily could probably bring back something kind of decent.

Ill bet you we will get multiple good prospects back and we wont have to eat much of Stanton's contract.  His contract really is not as bad as its made out to be, and he has the option to opt out in a few years, which he likely will do if he stays healthy the next few years until then.

it's been projected that if the Marlins put Stanton on waivers, basically saying to other teams that they can have him if they pick up his contract, they wouldn't get any takers

Not a projection even. He actually was placed on waivers in August and no teams claimed him.

Ill bet you we will get multiple good prospects back and we wont have to eat much of Stanton's contract.  His contract really is not as bad as its made out to be, and he has the option to opt out in a few years, which he likely will do if he stays healthy the next few years until then.

You'd lose that bet. As mentioned, teams could have had him for no return and didn't take him.

Not a projection even. He actually was placed on waivers in August and no teams claimed him.

It was revokable waivers, and teams do this all the time. If Stanton was claimed, the Marlins would've pulled him off waivers. 

Other managers just know and respect the process. That's how he can be traded. 

He's going to fetch a return. No would've gotten Stanton for free. His return is jusg going to be like, prospects #3/4/5 with the Marlins eating salary.  

That's your assumption, I assume its because they didn't want to risk inheriting the contract like what happened with Alex Rios one time.

Every single team refusing to take on a contract that would otherwise get signed in free agency?

His contract is a liability, true. To assume he simply would come free and zero teams would take him? Yeah not buying that. 

You'd lose that bet. As mentioned, teams could have had him for no return and didn't take him.

Im not gonna lose that bet.  IF its the cardinals we're gonna get one of Reyes (less likely), Flaherty, or Weaver, and then another pitcher and an OF prospect.  You'll see.  Stanton has tons of value even despite the contract.  He's not gonna get as much as he would if he didnt have the contract, but youll see.

I'm down with that.

That's not to say I don't agree with half the stuff Jeter has done, especially what he did to the alumni guys. But he has made some solid hires with guys like Denbo. I am sure he will admit he doesn't know much right now but he is surronding himself with guys that do and he has influence in wooing people in.

But Mike Hill is still here.....WHY ?

They are being as unrealistic as some members here.

I think I'm ok with this in the sense that hopefully they're aiming high but will realistically take a good offer when it comes. It's like selling something and asking for a higher price knowing it will eventually come down to what you really want for it. At least now, being only in November and being at the GM meetings, now's the time to aim high and see if another team is anxious enough to overpay for Stanton. 

You're delusional. The bigger & better than ever TV contracts that drive most of the payroll will be getting smaller as more people cut the cord. Stanton is not going to opt out, he would be a fool as NO ONE is ever going to give him a contract near that. It's fairly obvious now, that contract was signed by Loria as a publicity stunt more than anything.....Loria knew from the time it was signed he would never have to pay it. 

Even with better pitching and without Stanton, it's a wash....you didn't win this year and you won't win next year. They need to do a rebuild but can they do that without killing what is left of the fanbase. They also have to make their ticket structure more realistic for the economic realities of living in one of the poorest cities in MLB. 

Many people are fooled by the glitz and glamour of the Miami image, but the reality is, Miami has one of the highest rates of poverty in the country, and lowest average income, and combined with one of the highest cost of living expenses. One study I saw on this said that 62% of the population pays more than 50% of their monthly income in housing costs. That leaves less disposable income for most of the population to regularly spend money on the Marlins. Also another stat was that Miami has one of the highest average working hours for individual workers....many Miami people are forced to work two jobs (or more) to just be able to get by. 

People can pooh-pooh these reasons but the stats don't lie....people have to work harder and longer hours for less pay and have less time and income to spend on entertainment in South Florida than just about any other place in the country. 

Stanton will make approx 29 M per year going forward. This is fair. There is no cost of living raises. Five years from now that will be cheap for the top power hitter in bb. Expect nothing coming back. 

I think you are completely wrong. The revenue streams are drying up with more & more people cutting the cord & younger people not replacing older ones that die off. MLB has done a pitifully bad job at cultivating the next generation of fans. That is why this sale price for the Marlins just blew me away.

It makes sense for the Marlins to ask for the moon and to see which, if any, teams try to meet them part way. It’s also pretty early in the offseason, so both the Marlins and potential trade partners have an incentive to posture and try to create leverage and all of that. It’s gonna be a process.

Basically exactly what I was saying in my post above. 

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/11/14/marlins-asking-price-for-giancarlo-stanton-is-reportedly-out-of-touch-with-reality/

Nothing is out of touch with reality, until real negotiations begin.  Of course the noise will be to ridicule the Marlins asking price.  There are more than a few experts out there that say that the contract won't be so crazy in a year when Harper becomes a free agent, or after 2020 when Trout can be a free agent, and Trout will make over 34 million each year under his current contract for the final three years.  So, is it Stanton's numbers that are restrictive or that he can opt out after 2020 or that he might NOT opt out?  There should be a decent return, decent, just not #1 prospect material.  At the opt out, each side has to guess the future.  At least it makes the deal making interesting.