Jeter's Payroll Trimming Plan? Trade Stanton, Gordon, and Prado

If (when?) Wei-Yin Chen exercises his option for 2018 through 2020, would the Marlins trade three years of Chen ($52 million), three years of Dee Gordon ($38 million) and two years of Marcell Ozuna (projected 2018 salary of $10.9 million) for a nothing prospect if the trade partner assumes the entire financial obligation of more than $100 million? Or would the Marlins insist on a valuable asset in any trade of Ozuna?

If (when?) Wei-Yin Chen exercises his option for 2018 through 2020, would the Marlins trade three years of Chen ($52 million), three years of Dee Gordon ($38 million) and two years of Marcell Ozuna (projected 2018 salary of $10.9 million) for a nothing prospect if the trade partner assumes the entire financial obligation of more than $100 million? Or would the Marlins insist on a valuable asset in any trade of Ozuna?

Apparently they don’t plan to trade Ozuna at all which is mind boggling.

No, but it's fairly obvious.

I'd argue it's fairly obvious they wish to keep "something" but wish it to be Ozuna. Formally they might not say so, and they'll probably listen to all offers, but they are probably genuine at their word of trying to piece together a competitive team next year. 

Tbh it's not the worst idea in the world - if Stanton etc is worth solid starting pitching. But, the farm is so dry that it would be a major disaster if the attempt failed. 

I don’t think Ozuna, while good, is the caliber of player that would warrant this sort of misdirection on the market.  If they say they aren’t trading him I’m inclined to believe it. As a general rule though anyone can be had at a price.  Especially on the marlins.  It wouldn’t take much I set people off and there isn’t much to lose.  It isn’t like the place is packed at the moment 

http://mlb.mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20171108&content_id=260969934&vkey=news_stl&c_id=stl

Found this article, written by a Cardinals beat writer and intended for Cardinals fans, but I think it really complies and organizes the main points and details of the possibility of a Stanton trade. I thought it would be a good read for some of you guys to better grasp how a Stanton trade can happen. A bit of an FAQ I guess. Kinda wanna pass this out to more casual fans as well. 

And with the Giants being worse than us last year and with the Cardinals not being on the West Coast this keeps open the possibility that Stanton flat out refuses to leave here. 

Giants ain't rebuilding, retooling or whatever the fuck jeter wants to call it or trading for salary dump

Bold Prediction:  You guys will end up loving what this offseason does to this franchise within 2 years. 

The cardinals, if G waives his NTC, is an incredible match for us as far as a trade partner for him.  Their system is absolutely loaded.  Then, if we keep Yelich and trade Ozuna for a huge haul which is his value, our rebuild will already look really bright without us even having to sign a free agent or draft a player or sign an IFA.  We're gonna be really good in a few years if we're able to trade Stanton to the Cards and then deal Ozuna to a team like the Jays.  Also Straily for a nice bunch of prospects, on top of the deals we got for Ramos and Phelps, is gonna make this team really good.

I know its gonna be tough for you guys to see this team trade off these stars, but just know its the right thing to do and the past 2 world series winners did this within the last 5 years and it worked out incredibly because its the right way to build baseball teams nowadays.  This is gonna be a very bright spot in the franchise's history when you look back on it in 5 years or so.

Bold Prediction:  You guys will end up loving what this offseason does to this franchise within 2 years. 

The cardinals, if G waives his NTC, is an incredible match for us as far as a trade partner for him.  Their system is absolutely loaded.  Then, if we keep Yelich and trade Ozuna for a huge haul which is his value, our rebuild will already look really bright without us even having to sign a free agent or draft a player or sign an IFA.  We're gonna be really good in a few years if we're able to trade Stanton to the Cards and then deal Ozuna to a team like the Jays.  Also Straily for a nice bunch of prospects, on top of the deals we got for Ramos and Phelps, is gonna make this team really good.

I know its gonna be tough for you guys to see this team trade off these stars, but just know its the right thing to do and the past 2 world series winners did this within the last 5 years and it worked out incredibly because its the right way to build baseball teams nowadays.  This is gonna be a very bright spot in the franchise's history when you look back on it in 5 years or so.

Finally some optimism. 

We're gonna be really good in a few years if we're able to trade Stanton

Two things:

1. Stanton isn't going to fetch what you think he will. MVP or not, he's a salary dump and a flight risk at the same time. We are going to be hearbroken when we get relative peanuts for him, I guarantee you that.

2. The statement I quoted is silly. You haven't even seen the return and you're forecasting that we are going to be good. Any team at any point can make the argument that if they slash and burn, in five years they will be good. If you didn't notice, this current really good Marlins offense is... really good. Some poor management and ownership shit the bed along the way. The pitching is god awful, as we all know. Awful is an understatement, actually. It doesn't exist.

Anything can happen from a rebuild. We have been particularly bad at producing pitching. Let's hope, however this rebuild goes (or if it does at all), that this trend doesn't continue under new ownership. 

They are going to want a trade partner to eat as much of Stanton's salary as possible, which means that the Marlins will not get exciting prospects back in return for him.

Correct. Stanton was on waivers in August and went unclaimed. That’s because teams were afraid Miami would say go ahead and take him. Other teams wouldn’t take the contract for no return so they aren’t sending good prospects back.