Jeter's Payroll Trimming Plan? Trade Stanton, Gordon, and Prado

Even if some of the stuff that happens this offseason hurts, I think sticking to whatever their plan is will be the most important thing. The constant changing of direction of the last regime probably screwed us over as much as anything else. 

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

If getting all the prospects means winning the world series,than every team would won the world series in the every season…

Normally, well almost all the time, I don't agree with you but this one I do.

And ENTENDU, I agree with your sentiments "Maybe forever... " because with the Marlins it appears to be working out this way.

There is an article on MLB this morning entitled "Help Wanted: 11 clubs with biggest FA needs" and surprise....we're not listed. So again we're behind the 8 ball.  We're the poor step child who can't play because we don't have the equipment or can't wear clothes like others have.  It's a sad state of affairs.

And here, again, like what has happened before, the Marlins will lose their most valuable asset, now NL MVP, before it was Miggy, because of no fault of our own or his.  Even though we have new owners we have the same philosophy.  Put mediocrity on the field and expect the fans to foot the bill so those with $ make more money.

I truly understand that this is a business.  And with any business the purpose is to make money, or the very least, break even.  But with a business the business owners don't expect to put an inferior product out and the consumer to buy MORE!!  The owners step up to the plate (no pun intended, but it works) and correct the product--make it better--or fold.  Yet again the Marlins fan base is expected to suck it up, turn over our hard earned $ and fix THEIR problem. 

But as fans we do have a choice.  We can give our $ supporting the same shit under new owners who state the same stuff we've heard for years.........we'll just do a tear down/fire sale/market correction and in a few years we'll have a better team..........or we can use our $ and pay for MLB online or on tv watching another team.  And we can join others who don't have a sports team in the area.  I'm certain any one of us can list a handful of states off the top of our heads.

Or be those sucky fans who come to the Marlin games wearing other team jerseys of which they have no affiliation.  Like those Phillys or Mets or Yankees fans where it was their father or grandfather use to live in the other cities and passed down the love of the sport in those teams.  YUCK!

Maybe Miami can't have a viable team.  I more than bet Ross is spending $$ of HIS money trying to field a team, we know Arison has paid luxury tax to have a viable team, and I know absolutely nothing about the Panthers.  But at least two aren't looking for a hand out from us.  They did what they had to do.  (If you remember Ross tried that with the state, was a no go and put up his $$$ to not only get free agents, but renovated his stadium.)

What's the solution?  All I know I'm tired of all this.  And I'm getting mighty sore of getting the shaft again just by a different party. When will this end??

Normally, well almost all the time, I don't agree with you but this one I do.

And ENTENDU, I agree with your sentiments "Maybe forever... " because with the Marlins it appears to be working out this way.

There is an article on MLB this morning entitled "Help Wanted: 11 clubs with biggest FA needs" and surprise....we're not listed. So again we're behind the 8 ball.  We're the poor step child who can't play because we don't have the equipment or can't wear clothes like others have.  It's a sad state of affairs.

And here, again, like what has happened before, the Marlins will lose their most valuable asset, now NL MVP, before it was Miggy, because of no fault of our own or his.  Even though we have new owners we have the same philosophy.  Put mediocrity on the field and expect the fans to foot the bill so those with $ make more money.

I truly understand that this is a business.  And with any business the purpose is to make money, or the very least, break even.  But with a business the business owners don't expect to put an inferior product out and the consumer to buy MORE!!  The owners step up to the plate (no pun intended, but it works) and correct the product--make it better--or fold.  Yet again the Marlins fan base is expected to suck it up, turn over our hard earned $ and fix THEIR problem. 

But as fans we do have a choice.  We can give our $ supporting the same shit under new owners who state the same stuff we've heard for years.........we'll just do a tear down/fire sale/market correction and in a few years we'll have a better team..........or we can use our $ and pay for MLB online or on tv watching another team.  And we can join others who don't have a sports team in the area.  I'm certain any one of us can list a handful of states off the top of our heads.

Or be those sucky fans who come to the Marlin games wearing other team jerseys of which they have no affiliation.  Like those Phillys or Mets or Yankees fans where it was their father or grandfather use to live in the other cities and passed down the love of the sport in those teams.  YUCK!

Maybe Miami can't have a viable team.  I more than bet Ross is spending $$ of HIS money trying to field a team, we know Arison has paid luxury tax to have a viable team, and I know absolutely nothing about the Panthers.  But at least two aren't looking for a hand out from us.  They did what they had to do.  (If you remember Ross tried that with the state, was a no go and put up his $$$ to not only get free agents, but renovated his stadium.)

What's the solution?  All I know I'm tired of all this.  And I'm getting mighty sore of getting the shaft again just by a different party. When will this end??

Agree with this. There's no paradigm shift in how this team is being run. New owners knowingly acquired debt with the intent of drawing it down by selling off critical team assets, decimating the team (at least in the short run, with a possible effect that this could last much longer) adding to the disillusion of the fan base. Before we had to swallow the Cabrera trade, a surefire hall of famer, and now trading away Stanton, another surefire hall of famer and likely future all time home run king, to clear his salary, is another punch in the gut. It's going to feel like we traded (gave away) Babe Ruth. I can take a trade of Ozuna for cost controllable young frontline starting pitching and dumping Prado, Zeigler, Tazawa and may be even Gordon for prospects, all of which would reduce the payroll to 115-120M levels, but to go to 90M forcing them to unload a once in a lifetime player? F_ck them.

A Mas would be largely maintaining the lineup core of this team, negotiating a beneficial stadium naming rights deal, increasing fan interest and attendance through a serious commitment to winning now and in the future, while using increased revenue from MLB revenue sources and increased attendance from enhanced fan interest (and the fact he's not Loria) to help draw down debt. He would not be looking to salary dump a once in a lifetime player. A firesale, a rebuild, a tear down, any way you want to say it. I'm tired and sick of the whole thing and on top of it Mike Hill will be managing it, oh my.          

So who was responsible for some of the Marlins’ bad personnel decisions in recent years?

According to someone with direct knowledge, it was then-owner Jeffrey Loria and then-assistant GM Mike Berger who wanted to sign pitchers Wei Yin Chen, Brad Ziegler andJunichi Tazawa. None has worked out.

So don’t blame Michael Hill, who is staying on as president/baseball operations. New owner and CEO Derek Jeter dumped Berger and several other front office officials.

-Miami Herald 

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article185792543.html

Hill certainly doesn't deserve all of the blame, but who had the bright idea to trade Luis Castillo twice? Who thought the Marlins should bring in Cashner? Who had the most say on the players the Marlins drafted?

I definitely think that Loria should be blamed especially for the "big" mistakes (Chen, Ziegler, Tazawa, etc), but who is responsible for the all of the little mistakes (the 2016 trades with San Diego, for example)? Those small mistakes add up over time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cashner was also Loria's idea.

You completely tear down the lineup core and other miscellaneous pitching assets to acquire pitching prospects who may or may not work out who likely won't be ready to be evaluated until 2019-2020. Spinning the roulette wheel without knowing until a year or two later at the earliest whether you've won or lost it all. Woohoo! Seems like a great idea to me.