Brinson

I have no idea what you are looking at but when I check Fangraphs, Brinson has the third lowest WAR of all qualified NL hitters.

Obviously the glove has been superb, but that's an indication of how terrible his bat has been.

by fangraphs he is the second worst bat in baseball. 4th best center field glove. (better than Trout). He needs to be sent down.

I have no idea why you are using ESPN over Fangraphs for WAR (How does ESPN even calculate it?), looking at non qualified players, and comparing him to players in the AL.

Translation: I have no idea why you are using a site that disagrees with me, use mine so you agree.

Here’s the thing, though..........(and I totally get he needs to be sent down)........

if Brinson was having a very successful season offensively but was terrible on defense, he wouldn’t be getting nearly as much hate. 

Elite defense isnt sexy.  OPS is sexy. 

Because playing defense is cake compared to hitting the ball.  Almost anyone in the majors that’s a position player can go from the infield to the outfield and not notice that huge of a difference compared to a guy hitting .150ish. Even Rey Ordonez and all the hate he received from his hitting as a shortstop is far superior with the bat then Brinson....

If you look at qualified position players in the NL using ESPN's WAR, Brinson is 11th worst. That's not a considerable difference from Fangraphs anyway.

But I think it's somewhat illogical and factually misleading to look at non-qualified players and throw AL hitters into the mix too.

His bat is such a liability, he could be the best fielder in baseball and it wouldn’t matter because his bat is that bad at the present time.  I truly wonder how low his average has to get before this idiot GM makes a move.  

His bat is such a liability, he could be the best fielder in baseball and it wouldn’t matter because his bat is that bad at the present time.  I truly wonder how low his average has to get before this idiot GM makes a move.  

Adeiny Hechavarria anyone?

I'm no WAR expert but if WAR is calculated in different ways what makes Fangraphs WAR better than ESPN's WAR? Or who says he can't use ESPN WAR if he wants to? Who's to say which is right and which is wrong if there's no definitive way to calculate it? 

Not trying to be argumentative I'm genuinely asking because that's a question I've always had with WAR. People argue with it objectively when the formulas are so subjective. 

I compare it to arguing over whether McDonald's or Burger King have better burgers. It's just personal preferences. 

If I'm wrong fill me in because I admittedly don't get this. 

If you look at qualified position players in the NL using ESPN's WAR, Brinson is 11th worst. That's not a considerable difference from Fangraphs anyway.

But I think it's somewhat illogical and factually misleading to look at non-qualified players and throw AL hitters into the mix too.

I used ESPN because the search function (at the time) was easier to use.  I normally browse advanced stats on fangraphs. 

I didn’t mean to mislead anyone.  I looked at plate attempts and it looked like the vast majority had significant at bats. 

How was using the AL misleading?  I said major leaguers. 

I had good intentions.  

I'm no WAR expert but if WAR is calculated in different ways what makes Fangraphs WAR better than ESPN's WAR? Or who says he can't use ESPN WAR if he wants to? Who's to say which is right and which is wrong if there's no definitive way to calculate it? 

Not trying to be argumentative I'm genuinely asking because that's a question I've always had with WAR. People argue with it objectively when the formulas are so subjective. 

I compare it to arguing over whether McDonald's or Burger King have better burgers. It's just personal preferences. 

If I'm wrong fill me in because I admittedly don't get this. 

Fangraphs WAR (fWAR) uses FIP for pitchers, Baseball Ref WAR (rWAR) uses RA9. fWAR tends to be better as a predictive stat, rWAR is better to show what has already happened. (this is for pitchers)