Urena hits Acuna Jr with first pitch

What’s Jeter’s role here? Obviously he’s a former major leaguer and will have an opinion, but I’m not clear that his role with the Marlins puts him in a position to deal with this kind of thing.

From my understanding, he has the final say on every roster move.

Normally this is a manager's thing to deal with but for a guy trying to create a winning culture and a professional, respectful atmosphere this is the perfect thing for Jeter to make an example of. Jeter has said he wants Miami and MLB and players to be proud of this team so this Urena thing is something he shouldn't let slip by. Big test here. 

Urena's move was shitty, but I'm finding the people who have been excusing his actions to be even shittier.

Keith Hernandez backed off on defending the HBP but did think it was ok if he just did a brush back or one of those wild pitches 5 feet behind the batter that would obviously never touch the guy... not to defend Urena now but I wonder how much different this would be if that's the route he took?

Also, I run the IG account for this place and last night I had a handful of people leaving comments ripping Urena. It's weird since we're not actually affiliated with the team but it's amusing how people come out of the woodwork on social media when it's time to trash an athlete/celebrity. 

I'll be the first to call Jeter out if he does nothing. Thus far he hasn't even said anything, but even if he does -- words are meaningless. I want to see something, team suspension without pay maybe in addition to any penalty from MLB. Suspend him today before MLB even reviews it, make a statement. It is conduct detrimental to the team.

Normally this is a manager's thing to deal with but for a guy trying to create a winning culture and a professional, respectful atmosphere this is the perfect thing for Jeter to make an example of. Jeter has said he wants Miami and MLB and players to be proud of this team so this Urena thing is something he shouldn't let slip by. Big test here. 

I agree.  Its not like the Marlins don't get enough bad press as it is.  They definitely did not need something like this.

Do you really think that was intentional? One pitch into the game? This is the same pitcher who threw  first pitch BP ball to Happ on the first game and hit three players and walked two more that inning.

What made that worse was Acuna walking TO the Marlins dugout, and then tossing his shin guard on the mound... all after Urena asked if he was ok. The worst thing Urena did was toss is glove when they were all coming at him.

Snitker is a bitch, Acuna's a bitch and Larry Jones was a compiler. Come at me braves fans,

Do you really think that was intentional? One pitch into the game? This is the same pitcher who threw  first pitch BP ball to Happ on the first game and hit three players and walked two more that inning.

Absolutely intentional. Fastest pitch thrown by Urena all season at a guy who hit a HR to lead-off 3 straight games. It was purposely done when he was leading off.

Absolutely intentional. Fastest pitch thrown by Urena all season at a guy who hit a HR to lead-off 3 straight games. It was purposely done when he was leading off.

It was a piece of shit move but it did stop him from homering. Now it was in the worst way possible but it worked. 

I don’t expect the Marlins to do anything in terms of punishment until they hear from the league office on how the league intends to punish Urena (if they do at all).  Both the league and the Marlins have to consider how the players union will respond and they also have to consider what kind of precedent it will set.  Yea, we’re rebuilding.  Urena is not going to factor into future plans.  So why not send a message and stick it to him?  Jeter is so wrapped up with his self image it seems like a no brainer, but how far down the rabbit hole does he go?  What if punitive damages to Urena results in a faction of the players seeing the Marlins as treating their players unfairly.  I could see our front office being concerned about this. 

From a fans perspective it seems really easy…punish him harshly.  But there are dominoes to consider.  Lets first see how the league handles him

I don’t expect the Marlins to do anything in terms of punishment until they hear from the league office on how the league intends to punish Urena (if they do at all).  Both the league and the Marlins have to consider how the players union will respond and they also have to consider what kind of precedent it will set.  Yea, we’re rebuilding.  Urena is not going to factor into future plans.  So why not send a message and stick it to him?  Jeter is so wrapped up with his self image it seems like a no brainer, but how far down the rabbit hole does he go?  What if punitive damages to Urena results in a faction of the players seeing the Marlins as treating their players unfairly.  I could see our front office being concerned about this. 

From a fans perspective it seems really easy…punish him harshly.  But there are dominoes to consider.  Lets first see how the league handles him

Because maybe it wasn’t intentional?  It’s really foolish to jump the gun on any controllable player and he had a decent year just last year.  Urena has always had control issues and the only person who truly knows if it was intentional or not was him.  You can speculate all you want on your opinion but management isn’t making personnel decisions on pure speculation.

Who says Urena "won't factor into future plans".  He certainly will be around next year, and presumably in the rotation.  He's one of our better starters.  There is no way he will be released over this.  Now, I certainly hope they talk to him sternly behind closed doors.

You can speculate all you want on your opinion but management isn’t making personnel decisions on pure speculation.

You're correct.  Also, if that pitch hits acuna on the rear end and it doesn't take him out of the game then none of this dialogue probably happens.  Let's say he is being 100% honest. Then maybe he shouldn't be major league pitcher if he is incapable of pitching someone inside without making a mistake like that.

Who says Urena "won't factor into future plans".  He certainly will be around next year, and presumably in the rotation.  He's one of our better starters.  There is no way he will be released over this.  Now, I certainly hope they talk to him sternly behind closed doors.

There is an entire thread dedicated to Urena's worth to the organization. 

Guys, forget about last night's game for a moment.  Then, take a step out of the daily minutia of being a Marlins fan.  This team is a bad baseball team.  Coming out of spring training he was a player that many were looking toward to make a step forward.  His advance statistics in some respects paint a picture of a player that is striking out more guys, and walking fewer.  But he is still not great.  Lets not pretend like he is something he's not.

He should not be released and I don't even think it needs to be a "major" punishment. Something needs to be done though just to show that the organization doesn't condone it and it just needs to be more than a slap on the wrist punishment too so that it also doesn't seem like it's done for show. 

Why should anything be done?   There is 0 proof he did anything intentional.  

Why should anything be done?   There is 0 proof he did anything intentional.  

There can't be proof but sometimes all you need is common sense. He'll be suspended by MLB most likely without "proof" just like all the other pitchers in the past who did stupid shit.

You're correct.  Also, if that pitch hits acuna on the rear end and it doesn't take him out of the game then none of this dialogue probably happens.  Let's say he is being 100% honest. Then maybe he shouldn't be major league pitcher if he is incapable of pitching someone inside without making a mistake like that.

There is an entire thread dedicated to Urena's worth to the organization. 

Guys, forget about last night's game for a moment.  Then, take a step out of the daily minutia of being a Marlins fan.  This team is a bad baseball team.  Coming out of spring training he was a player that many were looking toward to make a step forward.  His advance statistics in some respects paint a picture of a player that is striking out more guys, and walking fewer.  But he is still not great.  Lets not pretend like he is something he's not.

You act like no other pitcher has missed that bad before when it wasn’t intentional.  Aroldis Chapman threw one earlier this year then was a good 5 feet in the left handed batters box so I guess he shouldn’t be a major league pitcher anymore? It’s really silly to bury a player when none of us have any proof on anything.  

You act like no other pitcher has missed that bad before when it wasn’t intentional.  Aroldis Chapman threw one earlier this year then was a good 5 feet in the left handed batters box so I guess he shouldn’t be a major league pitcher anymore? It’s really silly to bury a player when none of us have any proof on anything.  

Chapman's miss wasn't [probably] intentional. There's a difference between having a pitch slip and being intentional, and it's not that hard to spot.