Realmuto traded to Phillies

Erick

This opinion doesn’t belong here in the “if traded” thread but i would prefer keeping JT.  I would only take a package that no other team would offer   

If we had a top15 farm system I’d agree sure why not, but we aren’t close to contending in the next 3 years and don’t have the prospects needed to get to the next level. Paying him would only consume money and add a couple more wins. It makes more sense to sell high and save the money for when you are about to contend.

If we had a top15 farm system I’d agree sure why not, but we aren’t close to contending in the next 3 years and don’t have the prospects needed to get to the next level. Paying him would only consume money and add a couple more wins. It makes more sense to sell high and save the money for when you are about to contend.

You raise a fair point.  Our farm is still very far behind where we need it to be.  I raised this several times last winter.  But I also don’t think that turning the entire 2017 MLB roster into prospects was ever going to elevate the Marlins Minor league system into one of the leagues best (which is what we all want).  Any one individual trade is not going to move the needle much at all.  Getting to where we want to be is going to require year after year of smart drafting, international signing, and quality player development at all levels of the minor league.  That is going to take some time.  If we do trade JT and get a good deal, the minor league system is still going to be rated very low.  So your concern, one that we all share, that the minor league system is poor is one that will still be a truth should we trade JT. 

Now, what is going to provide the Marlins a greater benefit.  Additional prospects or JT…a 27 year old catcher with tools that are very unique and whom has the ability to handle our young pitchers as they are promoted up to the major league level?  I like the idea of having JT there to work with the young pitchers, and as an added bonus the guy can hit! 

The Stanton trade had to happen because of the contract.  The Ozuna trade was smart in my opinion because he was clearly a sell high candidate.  There was an argument to be made to keep Yelich even in light of the rebuild.  Many people argued that case.  I think the same could be said for JT. 

Again I suppose it depends on the player we get back.  If we trade JT then signing a veteran catcher becomes a priority in my opinion because we don’t have a catcher behind him that I’d be comfortable catching Caleb Smith, Trevor Richards, Sandy Alcantara, Pablo Lopez, Zac Gallen (the list goes on if you want to dig down into AA and A+).

What do we expect the package to be? 6 years 140? 3 years 70? I mean I think we should only keep him if we can get him for something reasonable. I just don't think it would make a lot of sense to give him a free agent contract. Especially because there are guys you can sign for significantly cheaper that have some upside, and you would get the free agent plus the prospects you would get for a Realmuto trade. 

And I do think even now a Realmuto trade does bring back significant value due to the fact that he is young, and a catcher.

You raise a fair point.  Our farm is still very far behind where we need it to be.  I raised this several times last winter.  But I also don’t think that turning the entire 2017 MLB roster into prospects was ever going to elevate the Marlins Minor league system into one of the leagues best (which is what we all want).  Any one individual trade is not going to move the needle much at all.  Getting to where we want to be is going to require year after year of smart drafting, international signing, and quality player development at all levels of the minor league.  That is going to take some time.  If we do trade JT and get a good deal, the minor league system is still going to be rated very low.  So your concern, one that we all share, that the minor league system is poor is one that will still be a truth should we trade JT. 

Now, what is going to provide the Marlins a greater benefit.  Additional prospects or JT…a 27 year old catcher with tools that are very unique and whom has the ability to handle our young pitchers as they are promoted up to the major league level?  I like the idea of having JT there to work with the young pitchers, and as an added bonus the guy can hit! 

The Stanton trade had to happen because of the contract.  The Ozuna trade was smart in my opinion because he was clearly a sell high candidate.  There was an argument to be made to keep Yelich even in light of the rebuild.  Many people argued that case.  I think the same could be said for JT. 

Again I suppose it depends on the player we get back.  If we trade JT then signing a veteran catcher becomes a priority in my opinion because we don’t have a catcher behind him that I’d be comfortable catching Caleb Smith, Trevor Richards, Sandy Alcantara, Pablo Lopez, Zac Gallen (the list goes on if you want to dig down into AA and A+).

I understand your point but another thing to take into consideration that might not have been mentioned is his value to the W/L also. It’s minor but with him we’ll be better no doubt offensively than without him and potentially finish closer to the mid and top of the top 10 picks the next two years.

If we were to trade him soon, we’d acquire not only two top100 prospects. Also most we’d likely finish with probably one of the top 3 worst records without him.

I’d love to resign him but don’t see value in him going forward due to once we might begin competing he’ll likely be costing us a lot and be on the decline. I hate the stigma with the Marlins and the constant trade our best guys for pennies on the dollar but this is an instance in which it makes sense.

I understand your point but another thing to take into consideration that might not have been mentioned is his value to the W/L also. It’s minor but with him we’ll be better no doubt offensively than without him and potentially finish closer to the mid and top of the top 10 picks the next two years.

If we were to trade him soon, we’d acquire not only two top100 prospects. Also most we’d likely finish with probably one of the top 3 worst records without him.

I’d love to resign him but don’t see value in him going forward due to once we might begin competing he’ll likely be costing us a lot and be on the decline. I hate the stigma with the Marlins and the constant trade our best guys for pennies on the dollar but this is an instance in which it makes sense.

Maybe a sidebar debate we should have in this thread should be who the best catching options are for the near term should we trade JT because there are lots of ramifications good and bad to keeping and trading him.  You're right though, he does have great value now it would seem.

Maybe a sidebar debate we should have in this thread should be who the best catching options are for the near term should we trade JT because there are lots of ramifications good and bad to keeping and trading him.  You're right though, he does have great value now it would seem.

If we traded him we could sign like a Grandal or Lucroy or we sign a cheap guy like Bryan Holaday again. But idk if Grandal or Lucroy would be there if or when we trade JT

Now that that's cleared up... trade him.

With that said... was an offer presented? How about wait until the Marlins give a fair offer and then see if Realmuto wants it or not once it's presented. Doing it this way robs Realmuto of the opportunity to be presented with a fair payday and also, saying he'll definitely be on a different team next year is putting the cart before the horse, trying to force a trade when the Marlins still don't have to trade JT if they would rather keep him for 2019 on a one year contract. What a wonderful agent Realmuto seems to have here.

Unless an offer was presented and his agent isn't talking about I wouldn't read too much into it. Jeff Berry has the right to advise his client but at the end of the day the decision is up to JT. The Marlins have time to get together with JT and offer a fair market contract, which I really do believe they would do so.

But if JT really doesn't wanna be here then of course trade him. No sense in even going year to year. His trade value is the highest right now. It will only go down once the season begins. 

The agent stepping in and speaking on behalf of the client is all reminiscent of the Yelich issue.