Marlins one of 3 MLB teams to lose money

Admin

https://www.forbes.com/teams/miami-marlins/#5fe860f26a27

Here's details on the Marlins specifically.  I found this interesting:

The Marlins had baseball's lowest average attendance last season, 10,103, and the second lowest average local television rating, 1.26.

Reported attendance was off 51%, but paid attendance was roughly flat, as the team did away with inflating attendance figures that often doubled the actual ticket sales.

We know they started reporting actual people in attendance last year, which made numbers look terrible.  But according to this, paid attendance was roughly flat compared to 2017.  Which if I'm interpreting right, means if they'd kept with the Loria version of reporting attendance, it'd have been roughly the same last year vs. 2017.

How did they lose money? I thought this team was just profiting left and right because they've been saving money on cutting players like Dietrich and Straily and on keeping the roof open during games?

Consider the interest / principal payment on $400 million in debt. Remember that Sherman et al didn't pay $1.2 billion for the Marlins out of pocket - they paid $800 million and assumed $400 million in debt.

There’s not much to work with here.  As full of crap as Samson can be one thing he has always said which is 100% true is that the Forbes projections which are published are not based on fact.  These are private companies.  They have no reporting responsibility to anyone but MLB and any significant creditors (potentially) We don’t even know how each team defines operating income.  EBITDA is not uniformly applied across all companies.  Team owners may have assets and income in other entities.  Also these teams are a small piece of their overall wealth.  I have a difficult time getting worked up over Forbes Operting Income figures. 

Anyone else getting the feeling Jeter is purposely showing exactly what Miami is as a Market and is eventually going to use it to try to force the team out of here?

I know he can't do it until 2035 or something like that, but it's only 16 years away and if it doesn't work here...wouldn't MLB try to make it happen sooner.

Miami-Dade's already trying to correct the contract and stuff and like the article says- it's a pandoras box. Any change could result in a year to year lease like Oakland has w the Raiders.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article157638494.html

The weird part is, showing actual attendance- claiming were losing money and not having a consistent cash flow could be enough to bring about contraction. I don't think the lease can be enforced if the teams contracted. It just says if there is a team it has to be in Miami right?

Could MLB contract the Marlins and Rays in a few years, and open expansion teams in other cities after a dispersal draft of sorts?

Just thinking out loud w my tinfoil hat- but this shit w Jeter isn't sitting right w me. Somethings telling me "On the surface, he's trying to bring fans back- but he's hedging his bets and if it doesn't work they can say "Told you so, I tried, get me out of here". "

Anyone else getting the feeling Jeter is purposely showing exactly what Miami is as a Market and is eventually going to use it to try to force the team out of here?

I know he can't do it until 2035 or something like that, but it's only 16 years away and if it doesn't work here...wouldn't MLB try to make it happen sooner.

Miami-Dade's already trying to correct the contract and stuff and like the article says- it's a pandoras box. Any change could result in a year to year lease like Oakland has w the Raiders.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article157638494.html

The weird part is, showing actual attendance- claiming were losing money and not having a consistent cash flow could be enough to bring about contraction. I don't think the lease can be enforced if the teams contracted. It just says if there is a team it has to be in Miami right?

Could MLB contract the Marlins and Rays in a few years, and open expansion teams in other cities after a dispersal draft of sorts?

Just thinking out loud w my tinfoil hat- but this shit w Jeter isn't sitting right w me. Somethings telling me "On the surface, he's trying to bring fans back- but he's hedging his bets and if it doesn't work they can say "Told you so, I tried, get me out of here". "

I don't understand what you're getting at.  The stadium is there and the team is here, both with contracts to be here.  How would that suddenly turn into a year to year thing?

That article didn't say anything about taking money from the stadium, which is already built.