Sixto Sanchez Not a Lock for the 2021 Rotation

Projecting the rotation, Mattingly noted three who would be considered “locks.” He mentioned Sandy Alcantara, Pablo López and Elieser Hernandez, who missed the final month and the playoffs due to a strained right lat.

Left off the “locked list” were rookies Sixto Sánchez and Trevor Rogers, both of whom made their MLB debuts this season and pitched in the postseason. That doesn’t mean either won’t be in the rotation at the start of 2021, but Mattingly reminds they may need some more Minor League polish.

“We know what Sixto showed he’s capable of,” Mattingly said. “We’ve also seen some downsides to that and areas he needs to grow. So that will be more discussions. Trevor Rogers is in that same boat. You see upside, but you also see things that, would it help him to continue to develop?”

A decision also will have to be made on José Ureña, who has one year left in arbitration. He sustained a fractured right wrist in the last game of the regular season. Rookie Nick Neidert is another rotation candidate.

Source: marlins dot com

• Like 1

If Sandy, Pablo and Elieser can stay healthy and consistent in 2021, we could possibly be  looking at the next great MLB "big three" pitching trio. Having Sixto as the 4th pitcher to start the year wouldn't be the worst option of all time. I definitely think the Marlins need at least one LHP in their starting rotation. I would like to see Trevor Rogers get that chance if he's ready..

• Haha 1

yep. Sixto should definitely NOT be a lock based on his body of work. after his first few starts dudes were hitting rockets off of him and he looked hittable. I think a really good offseason conditioning program will work wonders for him by the start of next season. Would really like to see him buy into that.

• Like 1

I like Elieser, but I think he's what we already saw: a guy who can give you 5 or 6 strong innings every 5 days, but not a guy who is going to go deep into 7th or 8th innings very often. That's definitely someone who belongs in a good team's starting rotation, though. I like Elieser as a 3/4 in a good rotation behind Sandy and PLop. Sixto will obviously be back in the rotation sooner or later, but I agree that he needs to earn it back because he looked very hittable the second (or third) time a team faced him. He needs to work on varying his pitches in the offseason and in Spring Training. We got good pitching though, online friends! 

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

I like Elieser, but I think he's what we already saw: a guy who can give you 5 or 6 strong innings every 5 days, but not a guy who is going to go deep into 7th or 8th innings very often. That's definitely someone who belongs in a good team's starting rotation, though. I like Elieser as a 3/4 in a good rotation behind Sandy and PLop. Sixto will obviously be back in the rotation sooner or later, but I agree that he needs to earn it back because he looked very hittable the second (or third) time a team faced him. He needs to work on varying his pitches in the offseason and in Spring Training. We got good pitching though, online friends! 

I thought overall Elieser made some nice strides this season as a starter to the point I didn't cringe when I saw he was starting any longer.  He looked a lot better this year than previous with my 'eye test'.  Hoping he recovers nicely and picks up where he left off with his progress next season. 

41 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I thought overall Elieser made some nice strides this season as a starter to the point I didn't cringe when I saw he was starting any longer.  He looked a lot better this year than previous with my 'eye test'.  Hoping he recovers nicely and picks up where he left off with his progress next season. 

Yes, he did make nice strides, but as SITA said, still a two times through the order guy.

Third time around, every time, got walloped. Usually games were close enough where it mattered, too.

If he can get his change-up figured out, he almost immediately adds a full inning to his starts.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Yes, he did make nice strides, but as SITA said, still a two times through the order guy.

Third time around, every time, got walloped. Usually games were close enough where it mattered, too.

If he can get his change-up figured out, he almost immediately adds a full inning to his starts.

Hmm, I wonder what person, employed by the team, could maybe have prevented him from going a third time through....

• Haha 1

Agree with this. Sixto, while dominant in some starts, obviously needs more polishing. I'm a big Elieser fan after this past season for him. Sandy-Pablo-Elieser is a nice solid trio. Definitely plan on seeing a lot of Sixto at some point though. Rogers needs to be in the minors for the majority of next season imo. Same with Braxton Garrett. If not the entire season for both. I think both have a lot of development left.

3 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Hmm, I wonder what person, employed by the team, could maybe have prevented him from going a third time through....

He saw a batter 3 times only 7 PA in 2020. Not sure if there's any room to rag Donnie on this one.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=hernael01&year=2020&t=p#times::none

I think the Marlins know well that Elieser is great early, but still needs to develop another pitch or two.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

He saw a batter 3 times only 7 PA in 2020. Not sure if there's any room to rag Donnie on this one.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=hernael01&year=2020&t=p#times::none

I think the Marlins know well that Elieser is great early, but still needs to develop another pitch or two.

Given the opposing OPS started with a 2.2 in those 7 PAs, I think we can definitely still rag on him a little! Lol

• Like 1

I agree he shouldn't be a lock.  As has been pointed out, he was impressive the first time seeing a team, but after that, he was very hittable for whatever reason.  He likely needs more seasoning in the minors.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I agree he shouldn't be a lock.  As has been pointed out, he was impressive the first time seeing a team, but after that, he was very hittable for whatever reason.  He likely needs more seasoning in the minors.

Salt Bae Cooking GIF by Nickelodeon

• Haha 1

I was just talking about this with my Dad yesterday. Sixto has absolutely wonderful potential. And also, there's no need to rush him. AAA may be the place to start. He'll be up here for the long haul soon enough.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

What is this thread? He was 3-2 with an under 3.50 ERA. Like what? He pitched brilliantly vs. the Cubs too.

Yeah, other than the two Atlanta games he's been a lock starter.  Who knows though, maybe he needs to work out a hitch in his mechanics of just fine tune it.  I think he will start before Elieser next year to be honest.  

Mattingly may be pumping the breaks with the mentality that next year is a new season and players need to remain competitive. 

I would like to see Sixto come in trimmer next spring if anything.  Just to increase his stamina and durability.  

4 hours ago, ZfromCIS said:

What is this thread? He was 3-2 with an under 3.50 ERA. Like what? He pitched brilliantly vs. the Cubs too.

I don't think it's being down on the guy, it's just being realistic.

17 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I don't think it's being down on the guy, it's just being realistic.

There’s nothing realistic about saying he won’t be in the rotation next year. From a Managers standpoint you say that for PR and to inspire competition but there’s no way in God’s earth he isn’t going to be at least in the. No. 4 spot just based off pure talent alone and not including his early success. He has already proven he has the best big league stuff out of the entire rotation. A bad game in the playoffs doesn’t change that. Don’t know if you realize but out of all the guys that are going to be competing he would have the 3rd most experience behind Pablo and Eliesar AND far and away the best stuff.

Edited by ZfromCIS
3 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

There’s nothing realistic about saying he won’t be in the rotation next year. From a Managers standpoint you say that for PR and to inspire competition but there’s no way in God’s earth he isn’t going to be at least in the. No. 4 spot just based off pure talent alone and not including his early success. He has already proven he has the best big league stuff out of the entire rotation. A bad game in the playoffs doesn’t change that. Don’t know if you realize but out of all the guys that are going to be competing he would have the 3rd most experience behind Pablo and Eliesar AND far and away the best stuff.

Never said he didn't have good stuff.  He obviously does, just said I think he could use a bit more seasoning in the upper minors.