4/30 Post Game Thread

Seven!

Luzardo with 6 pretty strong innings.

Seventh Inning Bass.

Stupid Sexy Sulser with the 8th.

Bender got it done with a heart attack.

One inning where we scored AND THAT'S OK, IT WAS ENOUGH!!

Sandy on the mound tomorrow as we try to do a thing.

• Like 2

Yep. I hope someone really takes command of the closer role. They seem ok in other innings but man it feels like every 9th inning there's multiple guys on base. I guess we can just AJ Ramos it but I prefer to have an Urbina-esque shutdown closer. Good to see DLC and Berti get some key hits!

This rotation is legit. I know I’m beating a dead horse, but replace Elieser with Meyer/Cabrera and we have a shot to win against anyone. That’s how you give yourself a chance to go on win streaks. Each and every night you have a SP that can go out and deal

Edited by marlins_09
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, canada-marlin24 said:

Very crispy.

I like how Luzardo battled through and didn’t get too over hyped. I do think the lack of adding on runs will come back to haunt this team eventually. So far they are getting away with it. 

The Winker hit in the 9th another hit on a shift that doesn’t work. 

Agreed on the hitting with RISP. If they can add a true closer and a bat with some semblance of consistency, we’re in business 

3 minutes ago, canada-marlin24 said:

The Winker hit in the 9th another hit on a shift that doesn’t work. 

Respectfully I disagree with this one. I think he floated it above where anyone would have been playing on the infield so shift or no shift would have been a hit regardless.

And that wasn't even a bad pitch, Winker just went down and poked it.

1 minute ago, marlins_09 said:

This rotation is legit. I know I’m beating a dead horse, but replace Elieser with Meyer/Cabrera and we have a shot to win against anyone. That’s how you give yourself a chance to go on win streaks. Each and every night you have a SP that can go out and deal

Yep I'd like to see Meyer in that spot for sure. Pretty wild that we were all gung-ho for Sixto a couple years ago and he's kinda now just an after thought/punchline instead. He might be that super closer though they so desperately need. 

Also, I'd like to point out that Das has been pretty quiet overall during this win streak lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The pitching depth is a good problem. I want to give Elieser a chance, though. Meyer can stay down there for a little bit. Remember, this is the beginning of this team's competitive window, not the end of it. Let's see what we've got.

I'm much more concerned with the closer role. We can't do this Bender thing every day.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Entendu said:

I'm much more concerned with the closer role. We can't do this Bender thing every day.

Floro coming back soon, not that I necessarily trust him either but more than Bender certainly.

Meyer could go in that role too if they want to do that with him. Some teams have done that with their star pitchers, see White Sox with Sale and Rays with Price.

2 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

Mel clearly got in benders ear - only 2 bbs this year. My theory once bender figured it all out, he’ll be top 3 closer in league 

My concern with him right now is that I don’t think he has an out pitch for lefties.

He seems similar to Bass in that he might be better off in middle relief rather than the “he’s our guy” closer’s role.

Just now, Erick said:

My concern with him right now is that I don’t think he has an out pitch for lefties.

He seems similar to Bass in that he might be better off in middle relief rather than the “he’s our guy” closer’s role.

Disagree! I think he’s struggling between being a wild man like last year and now pitching too many strikes. His stuff tonight was moving. I bet he figures out a balance and soon. Bass is mediocre 

Just now, pollythewog said:

Disagree! I think he’s struggling between being a wild man like last year and now pitching too many strikes. His stuff tonight was moving. I bet he figures out a balance and soon. Bass is mediocre 

Bender’s stuff is more elite than Bass, but his stuff is a moving sinker that seems to run into the barrel of a lefty and a slider that’s more effective against righties when he’s locating it.

There’s a reason why he was trying to develop a changeup in Spring Training.

Just now, Erick said:

Bender’s stuff is more elite than Bass, but his stuff is a moving sinker that seems to run into the barrel of a lefty and a slider that’s more effective against righties when he’s locating it.

There’s a reason why he was trying to develop a changeup in Spring Training.

He’s a RP the slider works against lefties. Agree to disagree m8. I feel like Mel has him on something (less walks) and honestly I trust it’s going to work. Obviously, could be wrong 

1 minute ago, pollythewog said:

He’s a RP the slider works against lefties. Agree to disagree m8. I feel like Mel has him on something (less walks) and honestly I trust it’s going to work. Obviously, could be wrong 

I was an original member of the Bender Fan Club and I’m a big fan of Mel so hopefully you’re right.

I think Don should mix and match more in the 9th, but instead he likes to mix and match Jazz and Jesus Sanchez out of the lineup (which actually kinda worked tonight).

• Like 1