December 29, 20223 yr 2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said: Baseball is a game of skill that is played with a hard ball and a bat between two teams of nine players each at a time on the playing field at once. Although many different people play Baseball all over the world it is most popular in the United States. It is so popular in fact, it is referred to as the national pastime of the United States because of the tradition and popularity associated with the game. Baseball consists of many complicated rules. It also has a very elaborate history. One can not fully understand the game America has grown to love until learning about not only the rules but also the history. HISTORY A popular legend of the history of baseball claims that Abner Doubleday, who was a Union officer during the American…show more content… In each half of an inning one team bats while the other plays the field. If the score is tied after nine innings are over then the game is continued into extra innings and is concluded when one team is winning after an extra inning. These are the basic rules of baseball. THE FIELD AND EQUIPMENT Baseball is played on a field, which usually covers about two acres. The field is divided into an infield and an outfield. These two parts are considered fair territory and the rest of the field is considered foul. The infield is in the shape of a diamond and is 90 ft on each side. One point of the diamond is home plate which batters hit from. The other three points are bases: first, second, and third base. In the middle of the diamond is a pitchers mound which is slightly raised off the ground. The edges of the diamond from home plate to first base and home plate to third base are the foul lines, which extend all the way to the wall in the outfield. Behind first base is right field, behind second base is called center field, and behind third base is called left field. Fences are placed at the farthest limits in the outfield. In foul territory beyond the foul lines in the infield are dugouts where players sit when they are not playing or waiting to bat. Do we need a CF? Oh...my bad...wrong mb member.
December 29, 20223 yr 11 minutes ago, Das Texan said: I dont understand this fascination with Garrett Cooper. He is a. awful defensively b. has no power c. had a really bad second half d. was still only a 1 WAR player. Are we setting the bar THAT low? Garrett Cooper would be a nice bench complementary piece. The Marlins should have sold ultra high on him at the all star break in 2022. What part of good enough did you interpret as fascination? 1.4 fWAR, and the previous two seasons, he has around a 2 WAR if you extrapolate it to a full season. He isn't great, or good for that matter. He's also an injury risk. But there are bigger holes. Edited December 29, 20223 yr by Entendu
December 29, 20223 yr 43 minutes ago, Entendu said: What part of good enough did you interpret as fascination? 1.4 fWAR, and the previous two seasons, he has around a 2 WAR if you extrapolate it to a full season. He isn't great, or good for that matter. He's also an injury risk. But there are bigger holes. I'm going to modify what I originally said... I wasn't aware that Wendle was a 2.4 WAR player last year. I'd list him as good enough and drop Cooper
December 29, 20223 yr 1 hour ago, Michael said: Just give me .275 and 20 HR from every position on the field. Remember when we had that 30HR* infield? Pepperidge farm remembers. *Cantu had 29 because of that damn Chevron car in SF
December 29, 20223 yr 1 hour ago, Entendu said: What part of good enough did you interpret as fascination? 1.4 fWAR, and the previous two seasons, he has around a 2 WAR if you extrapolate it to a full season. He isn't great, or good for that matter. He's also an injury risk. But there are bigger holes. I dont think he is good enough. And you cant extrapolate stuff out to a full season. That's just for nerds and not for anything that really affects wins and losses. Marlins should absolutely be looking to upgrade 1b. The way I see it: You should be ok at catcher. You have 2b (I assume Jazz is your 2b but I revisit should be approached about cf), basically I think the Marlins can be a better team if Jazz is not playing 2b. Whatever spot Segura plays (he is best at 2b) You are going to have Garcia and Soler playing whether you like it or not so you have both corner of spots or a corner and a DH spot covered. You need: 1b ss/3b (whatever Segura isnt playing) CF (see above on Jazz) LF or DH The beauty of seeing if Jazz can play CF: 1. It requires the least in terms of acquisition cost (you already have Jazz) 2. You can slide Segura to 2b where he is best suited 3. You open up 3b more for Wendle/ Groshans I feel Jazz at worst would be as good as Jesus Sanchez in CF. But that requires intelligence of which I'm not sure the Marlins front office has it, I'm not sure if Skip has really had a chance to even explore this and I know the guys like Mish arent that intelligent to figure this out.
December 29, 20223 yr 5 minutes ago, Das Texan said: I dont think he is good enough. And you cant extrapolate stuff out to a full season. That's just for nerds and not for anything that really affects wins and losses. Marlins should absolutely be looking to upgrade 1b. The way I see it: You should be ok at catcher. You have 2b (I assume Jazz is your 2b but I revisit should be approached about cf), basically I think the Marlins can be a better team if Jazz is not playing 2b. Whatever spot Segura plays (he is best at 2b) You are going to have Garcia and Soler playing whether you like it or not so you have both corner of spots or a corner and a DH spot covered. You need: 1b ss/3b (whatever Segura isnt playing) CF (see above on Jazz) LF or DH The beauty of seeing if Jazz can play CF: 1. It requires the least in terms of acquisition cost (you already have Jazz) 2. You can slide Segura to 2b where he is best suited 3. You open up 3b more for Wendle/ Groshans I feel Jazz at worst would be as good as Jesus Sanchez in CF. But that requires intelligence of which I'm not sure the Marlins front office has it, I'm not sure if Skip has really had a chance to even explore this and I know the guys like Mish arent that intelligent to figure this out. Lol, as if Mish has anything to do with the Marlins personnel decisions?
December 29, 20223 yr 9 minutes ago, rmc523 said: Lol, as if Mish has anything to do with the Marlins personnel decisions? thats the only thing you took away from this. 🤣 No he has nothing to do with personnel decisions, but he has a proverbial pen to write about intriguing scenarios or to you know ask the front office about those things but that would mean he has to actually show up to do the job.
December 29, 20223 yr 1 minute ago, Erick said: So, Segura is going to play 3B every day. What a creative plan. There is no plan.
December 29, 20223 yr 18 minutes ago, hovertical said: That's the plan. It's so brilliant. Rival teams can't know what your strategy is if you don't either! How could we have doubted her?
December 29, 20223 yr 2 hours ago, SilverBullet said: Why hasn't Lou come in to tell us what to think about this signing yet? I think because some on here were picking at his posts because he showed too much optimism.
December 29, 20223 yr 8 minutes ago, Rydawg said: I think because some on here were picking at his posts because he showed too much optimism. That is definitely not the reason he was picked on. I'm not sure he was optimistic really. Anyway, he has gone on vacation from the site before and eventually returns with a few new essays for us to enjoy.
December 29, 20223 yr 8 minutes ago, SonOfJack said: That is definitely not the reason he was picked on. I'm not sure he was optimistic really. Anyway, he has gone on vacation from the site before and eventually returns with a few new essays for us to enjoy. We concur
December 29, 20223 yr 1 hour ago, SonOfJack said: That is definitely not the reason he was picked on. I'm not sure he was optimistic really. Anyway, he has gone on vacation from the site before and eventually returns with a few new essays for us to enjoy. I agree with Lou.
December 29, 20223 yr I'm not convinced Segura is the 3B. I mean if the season started today he is but there has to be more moves coming so I'd wait to see how the roster shakes out. If it's on me he's the 2B but they gotta sort out the Wendle Rojas thing first.
December 29, 20223 yr 4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said: I'm not convinced Segura is the 3B. I mean if the season started today he is but there has to be more moves coming so I'd wait to see how the roster shakes out. If it's on me he's the 2B but they gotta sort out the Wendle Rojas thing first. Wendle SHOULD be the obvious choice to stay (especially since he bats left) so that likely means it'll be Rojas that stays - I will actually have a tiny bit amount of respect for Ng if she moves on from Rojas because he was clearly a Jeter favorite and the "captain" of the team and they (Front office) seem to have this strong attachment to him. He's still an A+ defender and can be a valuable bench piece but I also believe the guys in the clubhouse would like to move on from him as his time here has just kinda come to an end and some new voices need to be heard. So yeah, Wendle will be sent packing.
December 29, 20223 yr Not like it'd be the first time we'd play someone out of position under Kim....
December 29, 20223 yr 24 minutes ago, SilverBullet said: I agree with Lou. In Lou We Trust! E Plurbis LOUnem!
December 29, 20223 yr 7 minutes ago, knglover said: In Lou We Trust! E Plurbis LOUnem! no personal attacks
December 29, 20223 yr 34 minutes ago, hovertical said: I will actually have a tiny bit amount of respect for Ng if she moves on from Rojas because he was clearly a Jeter favorite and the "captain" of the team and they (Front office) seem to have this strong attachment to him. Yea I think it would be a strong statement to move on from Rojas.
December 29, 20223 yr 40 minutes ago, SilverBullet said: Yea I think it would be a strong statement to move on from Rojas. They should’ve done it a couple seasons ago when his value was high. That good fielding middle infielder with a so/so bat kind of player ALWAYS turns up in free agency (Kendrick/Harrison/Iglesias/etc). If a competitor was willing to overpay at the 2021 deadline for reinforcements (as was rumored) then they should have done it. It’s obvious he isn’t a genuine part of this teams future Edited December 29, 20223 yr by marlinsmaniac
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.