Heavy Marlins talk on ESPN right now.

I think it's gonna happen

Buster Olney sure made it sound (at least the way I was listening) that we could get him for less than Dontrelle.

"2 young pitchers, ideally to slot in behind Wang in the rotation."

JJ, Nolasco and one of the fab 5 to get the money down? :whistle (Hey, I can dream).

If you are keeping willis you need to get the money down pretty far. Does the yankees rotation need more lefties or righties? They might want Olsen instead of Johnson after all.

So does this mean we need to give Arod a suite on all traveling?

I read that A-Rod's owed 62 million over the next 4 years by the Yankees not 66, not that it really matters. This is all speculation on ESPN's part at this point. Do I think it could happen? Sure, but I would be shocked if it does. The Yankees would probably have to eat about half of his contract for us to even start thinking about a possible deal, and there are other teams that could probably give up more if we don't give up Willis, which would be a mistake in my opinion.

I read that A-Rod's owed 62 million over the next 4 years by the Yankees not 66, not that it really matters. This is all speculation on ESPN's part at this point. Do I think it could happen? Sure, but I would be shocked if it does. The Yankees would probably have to eat about half of his contract for us to even start thinking about a possible deal, and there are other teams that could probably give up more if we don't give up Willis, which would be a mistake in my opinion.

I'm not sure I get that...explain.

I think it's gonna happen

I think it comes down to what do we give up in players and money

lol really?

you think its gonna come down to which players and money? :p

:lol :lol

I think it's a great move and I think he would make a huge splash on this organization and get a lot of common baseball fans excited. First i think he'd be great protection for Cabs and would be a great addition to the offense and yes i know he personally doesn't fill the need at CF or in the bullpen but he is one of the elite players in the game i think it would also get the common fan excited about baseball and that's what we need Miami and the rest of South Florida is an area of common fans and when the Heat signed Shaq people were excited, went to games and became fans and I truly believe that A-rod would have that effect in South Florida.

Get it done

Arod at 4 years 66 million is an absolute bargain. A steal for a player with his talent/marketing abilty.

Someone said in the other thread that this would not make a bigger splash than the Shaq deal to the heat. I disagree. Arod is probably the best athlete born and raised in the South Florida area ever, he is hispanic, baseball is more popular than basketball in South Florida, and this town always has embraced spanish athletes, but never really had a superstar. He would be huge down and is the perfect fit.

It just makes too much damn sense.

First off, he wasn't born in South Florida. He was born in NY. He is not a Miami native.

Second, he is nowhere near the star Shaq is, being a borderline icon and *gasp* a champion.

Third, Basketball is more popular, at least right now.

Fourth, all the reasons that people don't go to the stadium aren't going to change as a result of this. It won't affect regular attendance significantly.

As far as it being a steal, I'd like to remind everyone of how well A-Rod has rewarded every team that picked up part of his contract: Texas continued to stay in last place and the Yankees have had their 3 worst consecutive finishes of the last 10 years since having A-Rod. Do you really want the Marlins on that list? He picks up big numbers in blow out games, but he doesn't step up to win games the teams need.

The richest, highest payed player in history on the lowest payed team playing the poorest city in the country isn't a "perfect fit". Not by a long shot.

Certainly would be a bizarre twist of fate for Arod to wind up here although I suppose stranger things have happened. I don't see how the math works out, or whether Arod would not allow himself to be run out of town without Boras extracting something extra for his client. Can't see Olsen part of any trade either.

BTW, slightly off-topic - does anyone know if the Yankees insured Pavano's 4/40 contract?

I think it's a great move and I think he would make a huge splash on this organization and get a lot of common baseball fans excited. First i think he'd be great protection for Cabs and would be a great addition to the offense and yes i know he personally doesn't fill the need at CF or in the bullpen but he is one of the elite players in the game i think it would also get the common fan excited about baseball and that's what we need Miami and the rest of South Florida is an area of common fans and when the Heat signed Shaq people were excited, went to games and became fans and I truly believe that A-rod would have that effect in South Florida.

Cabs did fine without "protection". Fill the needs first.

And unless A-Rod is going to pay for a stadium, that's not going to change all the reasons that attendance is low.

As far as it being a steal, I'd like to remind everyone of how well A-Rod has rewarded every team that picked up part of his contract: Texas continued to stay in last place and the Yankees have had their 3 worst consecutive finishes of the last 10 years since having A-Rod. Do you really want the Marlins on that list? He picks up big numbers in blow out games, but he doesn't step up to win games the teams need.

The richest, highest payed player in history on the lowest payed team playing the poorest city in the country isn't a "perfect fit". Not by a long shot.

He made the playoffs 3 times with the Mariners, twice got to the ALCS with them.

Even with his well documented failures with the Yankees, he's still got a .305 career post season average.

I would think the Yankees would want Willis over any of our other pitchers. They appreciate his total value, unlike a few here. But if we say no to a Willis deal, I think the Yankees would take Anibel in a package. And there's no way this deal gets done if it means the Marlins paying more than 5M a year. Not saying he's not worth more. He is of course. But the Yankees can pay half of what they owe him. And mini-me says we can't afford it anyway.

We wouldnt be paying him 4 years 66 mil anyways, the yankees would eat some. Texas is already paying around 8-10 mil for him. If we got him at around 6 mil a year it would be a steal. I will personally pack dontrells bags for him and drive him to the airport.

literally LOL'd.

and I agree.

For the Marlins to get the Yankees to eat the amount of salary that would make this feasible the Marlins would have to give up some combo of Dontrelle + (Anibal, JJ or Olsen) + prospect(s) or Anibal + (JJ or Olsen) + Jacobs + prospect(s). We are talking about A-Rod here, not Joey Gathright.

that is exactly the type of question I was posing there before.

62/4 would be 15.5 million a year before the bonus (mvp, all star, etc etc etc. I am sure he has alot of clauses for it).

If the yankees cover 20 million would break it down to 10.5 which is managable (not easily) but managable.

basically who would it cost to make it affordable

Here's the thing, any move for ARod is contingent on the Marlins actually spending the money they're given by MLB.

If they still treat spending money like a disease, there's no way this is ever conceivable. As it is, I have my doubts that a meaningful chunk of change (read: $10 million total) is absorbed by the Yankees.

He (ARod) had a bad year by the fans standards, but Cashman isn't a knee-jerk GM and he realizes the immense talent ARod has. Just because a few fans are calling for his head doesn't mean he's definitively gone. Cashman will only make the trade if it makes sense for the Yankees. That means a big chunk of money won't be changing hands and talented pitching has to come in return.

All things equal, we'd be the team most likely to match up with the Yankees needs, but all things aren't equal and we don't have the combination of money, pitching and youth that other teams do. My hunch is he either ends up in California with the Dodgers or Angels or he stays in New York.

That doesn't mean, however, that I'm not very excited by the suggestion that Olney had that we could very possibly get ARod and keep Willis.

He made the playoffs 3 times with the Mariners, twice got to the ALCS with them.

Even with his well documented failures with the Yankees, he's still got a .305 career post season average.

How about something this century? That's not unfair to bring up, do you think? Is it not simply possible that the guy is washed up, regardless of his personal numbers? He was the Man on the Ranger and they couldn't do a thing. The Yankees picked him up and they got worse. A .305 career postseason average. Nevermind that the last two postseasons he's been under .150, and under .100 this year.

Again, this team doesn't need extra offense. And adding more offense while sacrificing pitching (we don't have 5 good starters without Dontrelle and we don't want another Ismael Valdez or Brian Moehler in our rotation) and not fixing the defense isn't going to cut it. We should be trading to fix our weaknesses, not creating new ones and ignoring the old.

How about something this century? That's not unfair to bring up, do you think? Is it not simply possible that the guy is washed up, regardless of his personal numbers? He was the Man on the Ranger and they couldn't do a thing. The Yankees picked him up and they got worse. A .305 career postseason average. Nevermind that the last two postseasons he's been under .150, and under .100 this year.

Again, this team doesn't need extra offense. And adding more offense while sacrificing pitching (we don't have 5 good starters without Dontrelle and we don't want another Ismael Valdez or Brian Moehler in our rotation) and not fixing the defense isn't going to cut it. We should be trading to fix our weaknesses, not creating new ones and ignoring the old.

"Washed up"?!?!???

Sorry, I stopped reading there.

First off, he wasn't born in South Florida. He was born in NY. He is not a Miami native.

Second, he is nowhere near the star Shaq is, being a borderline icon and *gasp* a champion.

Third, Basketball is more popular, at least right now.

Fourth, all the reasons that people don't go to the stadium aren't going to change as a result of this. It won't affect regular attendance significantly.

1) He went to high school here, and is considered by those in Miami a native son. That's what matters.

2) Maybe, but you underestimate his appeal.

3) Simply put, you're wrong. Facts prove it.

4) Attendance was already going up before the firesale, another increase should be assumed and that bump up will only be higher if ARod is added.

This team could use more offense, dont kid yourself. The Rangers couldnt win because they had no pitching, don't blame ARod who won a f***ing MVP for them. The Yankees "got worse" because they too have no pitching.

We could have another rookie step in and take over for Dontrelle. There's quite a few options out there in our own system who could possibly be our 5th starter this season.

This is still only speculation but I think that I can be excited about this. I wouldn't be excited about seeing Dontrelle go, but getting A-Rod? I mean, seriously, our problems on offense would be solved forever, and we still have a crapload of prospects in the minors who can fill in for Dontrelle, according to our scouts, etc. So pitching should not decline. On the other hand, if what we can give up are top prospects, then so much the better.