A-Rod / Marlins Rumor Talk

peteyrave

I heard it and was , what, the Marlins? This would be amazing, the stadium would sell out a lot more often. Imagine in a few years, going to the ballpark to catch his 763rd HR!

See Alex Fernandez circa 1997. Cuban, hometown hero, UM, etc....

Absolutely no attendence bump at all resulted. None.

Next -

Infact they averaged about 1,600 less (about 27k) in Fernandez starts at home compared to the 29K a game they drew for games in which he did not pitched.

hahaha well done.

Well there goes that alex fernandez theory

If we get A-Rod then the Yankees would most likely go hard after Cabrera. I'd rather have Cabs.

actually this should be a concern for us. if arod opts out of his deal and leaves ny (the chances of him coming here are extremely slim...) the yanks are gonna need a 3b. i would think that cabs would top their shortlist... and they may make us an offer we cant refuse. as a marlins fan, im pulling hard for arod to stay in ny.

Cabrera still has two years of arbitration left, so it doesnt matter if the yankees want him.

BTW if they make us an offer we cant refuse doesnt that mean it would be one sided in our favor?

If we get A-Rod then the Yankees would most likely go hard after Cabrera. I'd rather have Cabs.

You'd rather have Cabrera than A Rod?

Thats....interesting

Yep. That's a pretty easy one.

Cabrera is Cabrera. If your building around a cornerstone do you build around the A+ player who's 30 something? Or the A-minus player who's not even 25 yet, and could be one of the very best to ever play the game when its all said and done.

I'll take Cabrera.

actually this should be a concern for us. if arod opts out of his deal and leaves ny (the chances of him coming here are extremely slim...) the yanks are gonna need a 3b. i would think that cabs would top their shortlist... and they may make us an offer we cant refuse. as a marlins fan, im pulling hard for arod to stay in ny.

Cabrera still has two years of arbitration left, so it doesnt matter if the yankees want him.

BTW if they make us an offer we cant refuse doesnt that mean it would be one sided in our favor?

no it does matter... just because he is under our control doesnt mean we wouldnt like to shed his 10-11 million he is going to cost.

and it may appear to be one-sided at the time, but remember prospects dont always pan out. cabrera hitting over 300 and 30 homers next year is almost a sure thing.

I love offseason dreams followed by spring training reality.. it starts with Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez, ends with Alex Sanchez and Joe Borchard.

:lol

I heard somewhere that Chase Utley is close to inking a multi year deal with us

No way.

Uggla > Utley.

Utley just had the luckier year.

:blink:

I love offseason dreams followed by spring training reality.. it starts with Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez, ends with Alex Sanchez and Joe Borchard.

No way.

Uggla > Utley.

:notworthy :lol

No way.

Uggla > Utley.

No way, dude. Utley's way better. He's got teh defense and speed skillz. If he didn't hit so many home runs, he'd be the best player in the league.

This might not be too far fetched. I heard a lot of rumors that A-Rod is looking for a deal that will give him part ownership rights. Could be a good fit for both sides

Except the C.B.A. prohibits it. Still a great idea!

I didn't realize that. Then why have there been talks about him signing with the Cubs for a stake in the team...most be shoddy reporting. It is too bad it can't happen, it could have really changed things for this team

This might not be too far fetched. I heard a lot of rumors that A-Rod is looking for a deal that will give him part ownership rights. Could be a good fit for both sides

Except the C.B.A. prohibits it. Still a great idea!

I didn't realize that. Then why have there been talks about him signing with the Cubs for a stake in the team...most be shoddy reporting. It is too bad it can't happen, it could have really changed things for this team

Shoddy reporting is exactly it.

As long as we're having all these ridiculous discussions about acquiring A-Rod and Bonds, why not just go ahead and go full-Monty and propose that Loria sell the team to A-Rod/Bonds. That way we accomplish all the goals. Get rid of Loria. Acquire superstars. First time ever there would be an owner-player.

It just makes me laugh that someone tried to compare the signing of Alex Fernandez to a potential signing of Alex Rodriguez.

The teams in this league that have players like A-Rod or Bonds are teams that get national attention. Much more national attention than even winning a World Series (especially one where you trade your best hitter for a bad defensive and oversized asian feller). The giants sucked this year, but ah the home run record had them on espn every single day. People in cities around the country say, I want to go to the game this sunday bc I want to see bonds, Pujols, A-rod, Griffey etc.

Cabrera and Hanely aren't there yet. Maybe one or both will be at some point but not yet.

Truth is it isnt about 'attendance bumps' Its about marketing, merchandise sales, and a hell lot of more money for the team.

Of course it isnt happening, nor is it necessarily in the team's best interest to have it happen.

No way.

Uggla > Utley.

:notworthy

A-Rod rumor: The past few days, ESPN's Buster Olney has speculated that the Marlins may enter the bidding for Alex Rodriguez, should the Yankees third baseman opt out of his contract.

Olney's report stemmed from a conversation he has had with a league executive who contends the Marlins' low payroll allows room to absorb A-Rod's projected mammoth salary. The thinking is Rodriguez, who grew up in Miami, would also help solidify funding for a new stadium.

While the rumor makes for juicy talk radio conversations, it is completely unrealistic, according to a team source.

Asked if the Marlins would be in position to sign A-Rod, the source said, "no way."

Bottom line is the amount of money Rodriguez will command is simply out of Florida's price range.

There is an irony to the argument that bringing in Rodriguez would help secure final funding on a new stadium.

The Marlins tried the approach of signing popular players to help get stadium deals done in the past. In 2005, the Marlins signed Carlos Delgado for four years at $52 million. A popular pickup at the time, many saw the commitment to the slugger would enrich the team's chances that year of being awarded $60 million in sales tax relief from the state of Florida. For the past several years, the Marlins and Miami political officials have repeatedly tried and have been unable to receive state assistance for a stadium.

Instead of being a move that inspired lawmakers to close the stadium deal, media reports quickly asked how a team in need of $60 million for a ballpark could sign a first baseman for $54 million? Those headlines were picked up around the state, and ultimately the Florida Legislature quashed the tax-relief request.

And when Mike Lowell signed a multiyear contract with the Marlins after the 2003 World Series championship season, there was a stadium clause attached to the deal. The thinking then was by showing a long-term agreement to Lowell that local politicians would step up to get the stadium done. It didn't happen.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=fla