Baker to see James Andrews

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

John Baker is scheduled to meet with Dr. James Andrews in the next few days for a second opinion on his elbow injury.

Baker experienced a setback while playing in rehab games last weekend with Single-A Jupiter. Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez is not optimistic about the injury, according to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, so it certainly sounds like major surgery could be an option.

---RotoWorld.com

Something is definetly wrong. It was affecting his bat far too much. His lack at the plate really magnified his poor defense.

Hayes is probably the best defensive catcher we have right now that s even close to being ML ready. He has a nice glove and handles the pitchers well. His bat is his downfall. But I'm not so sure Paulino can handle starting so much for the rest of the season. Wouldn't surprise me to see a move made.

Will Baker get TJ and come back and actually throw runners out?

Not if our pitchers still take a forever to deliver the ball.

Check some stats. See if there has been a reduction in the amount of stolen bases since he went on the DL Pitchers have really worked on that this year so that may be a little unfair comparison seeing he had probably no time this year when he was actually healthy.. So then also check to see if there has been a reduction on passed balls and wild pitches. I would be willing to bet it's a yes on all counts. But that's just a guess. And I have never been a fan of Baker's glove work.

The five most dreaded words in baseball:

lastname to see James Andrews

Anything out there on the radar for catchers? I know Coste just got released, not to go down the path of former Marlins but wasn't LoDuca playing somewhere in the spring?

I don't know that Lo Duca would offer much value as a catcher at this point.

The Marlins really botched this one. It was obvious that he was really hurt. It appeared that he was stopping his swing so as to not hurt himself more. Knowing how he can hit from his first two years, it was hard to watch him favor his arm in his swing. They wasted six months forcing him to gut it up and play. The guys a gamer and our lineup is noticeably unbalanced without his left handed bat. Oh, and for those defense minded guys out there, Baker had actually had a better percentage throwing guys out so far this year than last. This with an elbow problem! I suspect that he will have surgery and return better than ever. If not with the Marlins, there are a lot of teams out there that would snap him up in a minute now that he's an established player. When Hayes plays, we are playing with 7 batters and 2 pitchers!!

Guest Guest

Lo Duca was released a little over a week ago, for what it's worth. He was having a .233/.292/.302/.594 line in AAA this season so I doubt he could help the Marlins much at this point.

The Rays currently have 3 catchers on their roster; I'm sure they'd be willing to give one of those guys up. The guy they're most likely to give up would probably be Dioner Navarro. Not exactly a huge upgrade over Hayes, in my opinion, but it's worth noting that he did post a .295/.349/.407 (.757 .OPS) in 470 PA's in 2008. He had a .777 .OPS against righties that year, as well (although, he's actually had more success against lefties in his career, for what it's worth). All in all, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get him, and I'd take him over Hayes. The Rays have no need for him.

The Rays currently have 3 catchers on their roster; I'm sure they'd be willing to give one of those guys up. The guy they're most likely to give up would probably be Dioner Navarro. Not exactly a huge upgrade over Hayes, in my opinion, but it's worth noting that he did post a .295/.349/.407 (.757 .OPS) in 470 PA's in 2008. He had a .777 .OPS against righties that year, as well (although, he's actually had more success against lefties in his career, for what it's worth). All in all, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get him, and I'd take him over Hayes. The Rays have no need for him.

Dioner has personal family issues that I always thought may have at least in part kept him from focusing all his energies on the game.

The Marlins really botched this one. It was obvious that he was really hurt. It appeared that he was stopping his swing so as to not hurt himself more. Knowing how he can hit from his first two years, it was hard to watch him favor his arm in his swing. They wasted six months forcing him to gut it up and play. The guys a gamer and our lineup is noticeably unbalanced without his left handed bat. Oh, and for those defense minded guys out there, Baker had actually had a better percentage throwing guys out so far this year than last. This with an elbow problem! I suspect that he will have surgery and return better than ever. If not with the Marlins, there are a lot of teams out there that would snap him up in a minute now that he's an established player. When Hayes plays, we are playing with 7 batters and 2 pitchers!!

Unless my math is off, the difference is really maginal. And may be more contributed to the work the pitchers have been doing on their deliveries and holding runners. Now how about that passed balls/wild pitches question? Pre DL to post DL.

Hayes is a definite upgrade behind the plate, but you are right. His bat just never was there. It's what has kept him out of the majors.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.