Do you guys think Gaby Sanchez can beat out heyward for rookie of the year? Heyward at the moment has an OPS of 0.833 while gaby has a 0.852. Gaby also has an edge in doubles and BA. what do you guys think. (I am assuming they are in the lead right now for the award, I have no idea whether there are better rookies in the league right now)

Lol I was thinking the same thing when I noticed the numbers...

Mid season survey -

Heyward -

AVG .259 OBP .376

SLG .470 OPS .846

HR 11 RBI 45

Sanchez -

AVG .299 OBP .368

SLG .474 OPS .842

HR 8 RBI 33

So just between Heyward and Sanchez...

AVG +.040 OBP -.008

SLG +.004 OPS -.004

HR -3 RBI -12

Sanchez holds the fair lead in batting average while Heyward holds the fair lead in offensive production (RBIs). We all know Sanchez started the season low in the batting order, so it'll be interesting to see if Sanchez holds up with this hitting. If he does, Sanchez could very well step ahead of Heyward. But at the moment, Heyward's rep puts him over Sanchez.

Gaby is handicapped because no one knows who he is

I agree, it has far more to do w/ his near anonymity and fairly slow start than the fact the Marlins had the ROY last year. Having the previous year's ROY on the same team certainly didn't hurt Mike Piazza, Raul Mondesi, Hideo Nomo or Todd Hollandsworth on an unpresedented 5 straight Dodger ROY's (heck, the Dodgers had 4-time ROY's in the early 80's w/ Fernando-mania, Sax, Howe and Sutcliffe. There are many instances of back-to-back ROY's, especially in the NL.

Remember, Cogs wasn't even in the picture last year, initially. It wasn't until he caught fire around the All Star break and lead MLB in hitting after that point, that he was considered a ROY candidate.

Still, Cogs only had to really surpass McCutchen. Gaby would have to surpass both Heyward and Strasburg, and I just think that's too much hype to overcome even if he continues to improve his numbers. My guess when all is said and done, Strasburg ends up with it, though I think Gaby will at least beat out Heyward and finish second.

forget ROY... lets talk NL cy young!!!

But Gaby doesn't pitch!!!! JK

I think that Gaby is quietly putting up solid numbers and that if he continues to do so he be in consideration for the ROY, I agree with the lack of recognition he'll receive due to Heyward/Strasberg/Garcia and Leake, escpecially with the others, well except Strasberg, on contenders.

Wont happen... Gaby will probably finish 4th. I see this finish:

Strasburg

Heyward

Garcia

Sanchez

Heyward will be the easiest to jump. If Gaby can go ahead of Heyward in every offensive statistic other than RBI's and bat like .310 I think that's not something where popularity matters. And I dont know much about Garcia, but I trust in Erick. We'll see if those numbers hold up. My personal choice is Strasburg... he's lights out. But it'll be interesting to see his numbers hold up too.

GABY SANCHEZ 2010 STATISTICS

69 G | .377 OBP | .177 IsoP (8 HR) | 3 SB (100% success rate) | 1.9 WAR | 1.3 UZR

JASON HEYWARD 2010 STATISTICS

69 G | .371 OBP | .207 IsoP (11 HR) | 5 SB (56% success rate) | 1.9 WAR | 2.0 UZR

RISP

SANCHEZ: .366 AVG | .425 OBP | .521 SLG | .946 OPS

HEYWARD: .306 AVG | .452 OBP | .458 SLG | .910 OPS

CLOSE-AND-LATE

SANCHEZ: .389 AVG | .421 OBP | .566 SLG | .977 OPS

HEYWARD: .289 AVG | .449 OBP | .500 SLG | .949 OPS

GABY SANCHEZ 2010 STATISTICS

69 G | .377 OBP | .177 IsoP (8 HR) | 3 SB (100% success rate) | 1.9 WAR | 1.3 UZR

JASON HEYWARD 2010 STATISTICS

69 G | .371 OBP | .207 IsoP (11 HR) | 5 SB (56% success rate) | 1.9 WAR | 2.0 UZR

RISP

SANCHEZ: .366 AVG | .425 OBP | .521 SLG | .946 OPS

HEYWARD: .306 AVG | .452 OBP | .458 SLG | .910 OPS

CLOSE-AND-LATE

SANCHEZ: .389 AVG | .421 OBP | .566 SLG | .977 OPS

HEYWARD: .289 AVG | .449 OBP | .500 SLG | .949 OPS

Right now Gabby is the hotter hitter but I believe there is a lot of season left...A few HRs on Heywards behalf the numbers will look a lot differnt...Even Stanton can get hot and the whole picture will change but no one is surpassing that kid in DC

Still plenty of season left though, Gaby's getting noticed.

But yeah I doubt he'll be able to surpass the Strasburg-mania.

Tyler Colvin also has some good numbers but doesn't have the at-bats yet.

Call it Strasburg-mania, but he's backing it up with his play on the field. Still, the guys who vote on these things proved last year that they're smarter than we give them credit for. It seems like every guy running a baseball blog of some sort completely forgot or chose to ignore Coghlan last year in favor of guys like Hanson or McCutcheon because they "were going to have better careers", nevermind that end of season awards are based on the merit of performance in that season and not speculation. When it was all said and done, Coghlan won as a dark-horse candidate. If Strasburg ends the season with a .500 record and a 4.00 ERA, he's not gonna get the award over solid offensive players like Gaby and Heyward. But that's a big if, as its pretty obvious Strasburg is capable of dominating now, in which case he'd deserve the ROY.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.