Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Official Giancarlo Stanton Man Crush Thread

Featured Replies

They should sign him to a 10 year/200M contract after this season. Just pray he accepts, and if it's a matter of more money...give it to him.

Uh, yeah, he's not getting 20 million per at this stage of his career. I think 8/100-120 is fair-ish.

Uh, yeah, he's not getting 20 million per at this stage of his career. I think 8/100-120 is fair-ish.

 

So 15M a year is fairish by you, but 20M is too much. Plus we'd get an extra 2 years.

Just give the man a contract befitting his ability.

He deserves something over the norm potential wise ala Pujols..

Uh, yeah, he's not getting 20 million per at this stage of his career. I think 8/100-120 is fair-ish.

 

So 15M a year is fairish by you, but 20M is too much. Plus we'd get an extra 2 years.

Just give the man a contract befitting his ability.

He deserves something over the norm.

 

Well, he's absolutely not getting 20 million. I'm sorry, but he's too much of an "injury" risk to give him 20 million a year.

 

8 years/ 100 million is about 12.5 a year, and I'm sure it'll be back-loaded slightly.

Uh, yeah, he's not getting 20 million per at this stage of his career. I think 8/100-120 is fair-ish.

 

So 15M a year is fairish by you, but 20M is too much. Plus we'd get an extra 2 years.

Just give the man a contract befitting his ability.

He deserves something over the norm.

 

Well, he's absolutely not getting 20 million. I'm sorry, but he's too much of an "injury" risk to give him 20 million a year.

 

8 years/ 100 million is about 12.5 a year, and I'm sure it'll be back-loaded slightly.

I hope you have no influence into the front office. The difference makes no sense. If you're going to offer 15M a year and make that commitment, then why not offer 20M, and again, just pray that he accepts.

2 and a half seasons into his career, he is NOT getting Pujols/Votto/Fielder type money.Those are guys who have been in the league a long time and proven themselves. If we could lock him up for 10 years, great. But it's sure as hell NOT going to be for 200 million. At most, 130-140 mill. And he better pray it's offered, not we pray he accepts. That's BS, he's not even in his arbitration years, why should we "pray he accepts" TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS? I'm sorry, you're being a little ridiculous.

Uh, yeah, he's not getting 20 million per at this stage of his career. I think 8/100-120 is fair-ish.

 

So 15M a year is fairish by you, but 20M is too much. Plus we'd get an extra 2 years.

Just give the man a contract befitting his ability.

He deserves something over the norm.

 

Well, he's absolutely not getting 20 million. I'm sorry, but he's too much of an "injury" risk to give him 20 million a year.

 

8 years/ 100 million is about 12.5 a year, and I'm sure it'll be back-loaded slightly.

I hope you have no influence into the front office. The difference makes no sense. If you're going to offer 15M a year and make that commitment, then why not offer 20M, and again, just pray that he accepts.

 

Well, that was rude. He's 22 years old. He's not getting 20 million a year. And I adjusted to 12 million a year, so 8 million difference really.

 

And seriously? The difference between 15 million and 20 million to this FO is a big factor, let alone 12 million. That's an extra 80-100 million you want to give this guy for 2 years. He isn't the healthiest Marlins player we've ever seen either. Him and Reyes could conceivably be near 50% of our payroll.

 

Stanton is a fantastic talent, but not worth 200 million dollars at such a young age.

We should make another thread on how much money and what kind of contract we offer to Mr. Stanton, if we offer him anything.

This being the "man-crush thread" isn't the place for such a financial discussion, imo.

Uh, yeah, he's not getting 20 million per at this stage of his career. I think 8/100-120 is fair-ish.

 

So 15M a year is fairish by you, but 20M is too much. Plus we'd get an extra 2 years.

Just give the man a contract befitting his ability.

He deserves something over the norm.

 

Well, he's absolutely not getting 20 million. I'm sorry, but he's too much of an "injury" risk to give him 20 million a year.

 

8 years/ 100 million is about 12.5 a year, and I'm sure it'll be back-loaded slightly.

I hope you have no influence into the front office. The difference makes no sense. If you're going to offer 15M a year and make that commitment, then why not offer 20M, and again, just pray that he accepts.

 

Well, that was rude. He's 22 years old. He's not getting 20 million a year. And I adjusted to 12 million a year, so 8 million difference really.

 

And seriously? The difference between 15 million and 20 million to this FO is a big factor, let alone 12 million. That's an extra 80-100 million you want to give this guy for 2 years. He isn't the healthiest Marlins player we've ever seen either. Him and Reyes could conceivably be near 50% of our payroll.

 

Stanton is a fantastic talent, but not worth 200 million dollars at such a young age.

Would you offer Trout 200 million right now?

Uh, yeah, he's not getting 20 million per at this stage of his career. I think 8/100-120 is fair-ish.

 

So 15M a year is fairish by you, but 20M is too much. Plus we'd get an extra 2 years.

Just give the man a contract befitting his ability.

He deserves something over the norm.

 

Well, he's absolutely not getting 20 million. I'm sorry, but he's too much of an "injury" risk to give him 20 million a year.

 

8 years/ 100 million is about 12.5 a year, and I'm sure it'll be back-loaded slightly.

I hope you have no influence into the front office. The difference makes no sense. If you're going to offer 15M a year and make that commitment, then why not offer 20M, and again, just pray that he accepts.

Huh?

 

The difference between 8/15 per and 10/20 per is 80 million dollars. That's a f*** ton of money.

 

10/20 is probably above market value for him, but not crazy unreasonable. You still don't offer that right out of the gate.

Stanton will be worth $20 million per year when he hits free agency unless something unforeseen happens in his career (whether that be a meltdown or an injury).

 

At this point, I really stopped caring about what the contract will be. We're not getting the hometown discount we would've if we signed him after the 2011 season, so at this point I'm just happy to buy out some free agency years.

If they don't try to negotiate an extension this offseason, I might be done with this FO.

 

 

I hate when people make statements like this, but if they fail to lock up Stanton before he hits free agency, I think there's just cause for fans to turn their back on the team.

If they don't try to negotiate an extension this offseason, I might be done with this FO.

 

 

I hate when people make statements like this, but if they fail to lock up Stanton before he hits free agency, I think there's just cause for fans to turn their back on the team.

There isn't really much of a justifiable reason for them to wait beyond this offseason. The longer they wait, the more expensive and difficult he will become to lock down.

 

They already botched the Miguel Cabrera extension. They have the revenue stream now. There should be no excuses for waiting beyond this offseason.

I agree. I still have absolutely no clue why they didn't try to lock him down after his rookie 2010 season. You would've had to be a moron to not see the talent, and he would've been glad as a 20 year old kid to sign a nice 7 year deal worth a nice chunk of change. I think everybody knew it would've been worth even the little risk there is of an injury derailing his career or him falling apart for whatever reason.

I don't mind them waiting a year or two, actually. It was known that he had a bunch of raw power, but with the staggering strikeout rate they needed to make sure that he wasn't going to be Mark Reynolds 2.0.

 

Given his arbitration clock, I think the best time to begin negotiations would be this offseason. Hopefully something would be finalized by the all-star break.

I have to believe that the Hanley Ramirez money has to go to locking up Stanton. I just have to believe that.

The numbers in this thread are really off. $200 million is laughable. Based on the best comparables (Cargo is the best he makes 7/$80 over same seasons, J. Upton and Bruce next, he is not to Cabrera/Howard/Prince levels yet, if ever because of the insane RBI numbers of those others), the Marlins are looking at a 7/$85 deal for Stanton to buy out 3 free agency years. Him not being Super2 eligible next year is huge as he'll only have 2.118 days of service time. Think

 

2013 - $1, plus $3 million signing bonus

2014 - $6

2015 - $8

2016 - $11

2017 - $17

2018 - $18

2019 - $21

=$85

 

Each of those years slots slightly higher than Cargo, which is fair considering inflation/Stanton could realistically comp to Cabrera/Howard if he has an insane 2013. If anything, the most this would move is maybe to $90 which is no big deal considering it would be over 7 seasons.

 

Stanton takes that in a heartbeat, and is a free agent in his prime at 29 years old to set himself in line for a massive payday.

The only figures being thrown around in these discussions that are worth bearing in mind are those provided by MarlinsLou. He has proved over the years that he's the numbers guy!

Just saw his homeruns from the past few games and all I want to do is kiss him right in the face

 

And we'd say you're the straightest man alive for that.

Since we all wish to do to so.

 

Completely off topic, how come we don't have any gay members? Or do we? If I remember Dodge said he was bi, but that was the closest we got ...

Uh, yeah, he's not getting 20 million per at this stage of his career. I think 8/100-120 is fair-ish.

 

So 15M a year is fairish by you, but 20M is too much. Plus we'd get an extra 2 years.

Just give the man a contract befitting his ability.

He deserves something over the norm.

 

Well, he's absolutely not getting 20 million. I'm sorry, but he's too much of an "injury" risk to give him 20 million a year.

 

8 years/ 100 million is about 12.5 a year, and I'm sure it'll be back-loaded slightly.

I hope you have no influence into the front office. The difference makes no sense. If you're going to offer 15M a year and make that commitment, then why not offer 20M, and again, just pray that he accepts.

Huh?

 

The difference between 8/15 per and 10/20 per is 80 million dollars. That's a f*** ton of money.

 

10/20 is probably above market value for him, but not crazy unreasonable. You still don't offer that right out of the gate.

Not a ton of money. It's 2 more years, so that's 40M more...or 4M per season. Anyway, it sounds like you basically agree on my admittadly over-market figure, just disagree on how you negotiate it.

He's gonna get around Hanley money. That's what you give a raising superstar. 6-7 years for 70-80 million. That favors both parties. That's the best deal.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.