Rodriguez prefers Bonifacio in lineup

Iowa

Rodriguez said this morning that he’d rather see Emilio Bonifacio in the lineup every day than playing the utility role he’s penciled in for but acknowledges that may not be possible.

“I would like to put him in the lineup on an everyday basis, somewhere, if it comes to that,� Rodriguez said. “His energy, what he brings to the game. … I like the lineup when he’s in the lineup.

Rodriguez may get his wish if third baseman Matt Dominguez does not make the team or if Coghlan is not healthy. Otherwise … “At some point in the season when everybody starts getting a day off, he’s going to start getting more playing time.�

Rodriguez says Bonifacio is above average defensively at second base and an average third baseman and outfielder.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/2011/03/20/marlins-manager-edwin-rodriguez-expects-right-fielder-mike-stanton-to-play-in-big-league-game-thursday/#more-7102

I'd rather see him in the lineup too.....if he didn't suck. There is so much that his speed can bring to our game. He just needs to hit his potential. With the performance he had last year, lineup will be the least of his worries. He needs to worry about staying on the roster.

He does? F him.

If I was Loria, I would fire this idiot on the spot. Circa 2009, when Beinfest did not want more egg on his face, that experiment failed pretty awfully until he was finally pulled mid season. Furthermore, like I was bashed on the Loria "pissed" thread, he expects this team to compete with Bonifacio in the everyday lineup? Good Luck to them. First Reggie then Maybin (Reggie # 2) and now Bonifaco. I get it, lose your 30//90 guy for better defense (peanuts). How many HR's hit this spring? I realize Giancarlo has not played, but I think we have hit maybe 6 so far? Like I said before, the catalyst in our lineup is wearing a tomahawk on his Jersey. We seriously need another Manager who lights a fire under this teams ass, evaluates talent at a major league level, and does NOT make lame excuses for mediocrity. If Jack was 10 years younger this would be a moot point. This guy has to go!

Jesus people, calm down. I would rather have Bonifacio in the lineup as opposed to Wes Helms if Dominguez doesn't make it. I would probably take Boni over Wise as well at center. Of course, as Lou will say, this could've been avoided if we signed a decent backup option at either of those positions.

I think people are overlooking the fact that Edwin isn't thinking of playing Bonifacio out of necessity alone. He says he'd like to play him anyway, but realizes he can't because of limitations. Meaning, he thinks Bonifacio is an everyday player. That's ridiculous.

I think people are overlooking the fact that Edwin isn't thinking of playing Bonifacio out of necessity alone. He says he'd like to play him anyway, but realizes he can't because of limitations. Meaning, he thinks Bonifacio is an everyday player. That's ridiculous.

Maybe Edwin is one of those people who thinks his defense and baserunning could one day overcome his limitations as a hitter.

Of course, I disagree, but it wouldn't be a first.

For what it's worth, he could learn to use his speed as a hitter and raise his batting average to a respectable level. That's about all I can see for him as a hitter. Plate discipline isn't as easy to improve as some people seem to assume at times, so I definitely don't expect him to improve much there. And he definitely has no power.

Maybe Edwin is one of those people who thinks his defense and baserunning could one day overcome his limitations as a hitter.

Of course, I disagree, but it wouldn't be a first.

For what it's worth, he could learn to use his speed as a hitter and raise his batting average to a respectable level. That's about all I can see for him as a hitter. Plate discipline isn't as easy to improve as some people seem to assume at times, so I definitely don't expect him to improve much there. And he definitely has no power.

He's basically Luis Castillo without any of the good parts (++ defense, ++ plate discpline/contact). If he's part of the starting lineup I'm going to be a sad panda. :thumbdown

He's basically Luis Castillo without any of the good parts (++ defense, ++ plate discpline/contact). If he's part of the starting lineup I'm going to be a sad panda. :thumbdown

how is he anything like Luis Castillo then, lol? Let's say he's basically like every major league player, except that he's pretty bad at all of the things that they do.

Honestly he'd be passable as a utility player I guess. and I know it was Edwin who was quoted, but I wouldn't say it's just him that thinks he can be an everyday guy..... it was Beinfest after all who made him the centerpiece of that trade.

I don't know if any of you watched the second half of last season, but it appeared to me he was using his skills a lot more by making more contact and hitting the ball on the ground.

I have the stats to back it up:

2010 2nd HALF OF THE SEASON

54 G

180 PA

159 AB

29 R

42 H

6 2B

3 3B

0 HR

9 RBI

9 SB

0 CS

17 BB

37 K

.264 AVG

.330 OPB

.336 AVG on balls in play

Only 2 E all of last year

He was starting to come around.

This spring he is hitting .271 AVG, .300 OBP, 4 SB, 0 CS. 1 2B, 1 3B in 48 AB.

I don't know if any of you watched the second half of last season, but it appeared to me he was using his skills a lot more by making more contact and hitting the ball on the ground.

54 G

180 PA

159 AB

29 R

42 H

6 2B

3 3B

0 HR

9 RBI

9 SB

0 CS

17 BB

37 K

.264 AVG

.330 OPB

Actually you're right. I think the most impressive stat (besides maybe 9 SB with 0 CS -- which we should expect with his speed) is the low K numbers, almost 1 every 5 plate appearances. His OBP still needs work though.... < .50 pts above his BA isn't too hot.

I still don't want him starting though. ^_^

54 G

180 PA

159 AB

29 R

42 H

6 2B

3 3B

0 HR

9 RBI

9 SB

0 CS

17 BB

37 K

.264 AVG

.330 OPB

Actually you're right. I think the most impressive stat (besides maybe 9 SB with 0 CS -- which we should expect with his speed) is the low K numbers, almost 1 every 5 plate appearances. His OBP still needs work though.... < .50 pts above his BA isn't too hot.

I still don't want him starting though. ^_^

Those aren't low K #'s, especially for someone who has no power.

54 G

180 PA

159 AB

29 R

42 H

6 2B

3 3B

0 HR

9 RBI

9 SB

0 CS

17 BB

37 K

.264 AVG

.330 OPB

You do know that a .336 BABIP is generally indicative of good luck, right? Now, it should be said that being shockingly fast will help raise your BABIP, but that's about what Luis Castillo's BABIP was when he played here, except he did it while hitting ~.300.

Also, a sample size of 180 PA is ridiculously small.

His problem isn't his K to AB ratio. Even in 2009 he was about the middle of the pack on our team. He just has to hit the ball on the ground more often and let his speed work for him. Whether that means making the defense hurry their play and make an error, or by bearing out the throws dosen't really matter. Heck, I watched him try a bunt Sunday and he still dosen't have it. Wouldn't bother me a bit to see him chop it more often. Anything to lessen the amount of fly balls. Those are his downfall.

He actually does play a pretty good 2B. I could see Edwin putting him in there if/when Matt goes to NoLa. But my pre ST dark horse was Dobbs. And he is having a very nice ST. Real nice glove at 1B. Haven't seen him play 3B, but I assume he can handle it. He may be an option until Matt finds his bat.