July 6, 201115 yr I think it's sad that I'm looking forward more to the Florida Panthers in October then I am the Florida Marlins in July.
July 6, 201115 yr I just read this thread from start to finish. Some of you really need to get out more. Says the one who had the time to read a 5 page thread about Mike Cameron. It's not about time. It's about people concerned with their "status" or "rank" on MarlinsBaseball.com. Bahaha you phrased it poorly, so Ashraf still deserves the LOLZ.
July 6, 201115 yr What does Helms have to do with this? And Cameron's probably going to get his fair share of starts in CF. The fact that a non-contending team just traded for a 38-year old with no future in the sport is basically a waste of time. The season is over; they should start selling, instead of making lateral moves that make no difference, whatsoever. The only thing this does is take away playing time from Petersen who could actually help this organization in the near future as a 4th OF'er, etc. They should be evaluating him more, instead of wasting their time on this has-been. I agree completely. Erick is hell freezing over? And I don't agree because I don't think he is going to get "his fair share" of starts in CF. Or any field. No doubt he will get some playing time, but "his fair share of starts" is pushing it. But then I guess it's what someone's defintion of that term is. They seem pretty hot on Peterson, the guy I thought they would call up before they brought in Wise. I think Cameron is going to help in his development more than anything else. LoMo's and Stanton's as well. Fielding-wise at least. How is he going to help their dev in the outfield? I agree with eric. This is a lateral move that takes starts away from peterson. Tips and tricks? Maybe he can help, I don't know. I tend to think that coaches should know the same tips and tricks, but maybe not.
July 6, 201115 yr I think it's sad that I'm looking forward more to the Florida Panthers in October then I am the Florida Marlins in July. It wont be sad when you're looking forward to the April Miami Marlins and not the April Florida Panthers... I mean, I'd love for them to make the playoffs but at this point they could ice Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin together and we'd still find a way to lose.
July 6, 201115 yr Is it really a tragedy if Mike Cameron takesa few starts away from Peterson against especially tough left handers?
July 6, 201115 yr Is it really a tragedy if Mike Cameron takesa few starts away from Peterson against especially tough left handers? Petersen hits lefties better than he hits righties.
July 6, 201115 yr UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Sounds like everyone is having an orgasm in this thread! :lol
July 6, 201115 yr Tips and tricks? Maybe he can help, I don't know. I tend to think that coaches should know the same tips and tricks, but maybe not. tips and tricks sounds funny. like there's a secret door in left field that takes you right to the bermuda triangle. or if someone's stealing 2nd you can spring a trap door that drops them into a dungeon beneath the stadium.
July 6, 201115 yr Tips and tricks? Maybe he can help, I don't know. I tend to think that coaches should know the same tips and tricks, but maybe not. tips and tricks sounds funny. like there's a secret door in left field that takes you right to the bermuda triangle. or if someone's stealing 2nd you can spring a trap door that drops them into a dungeon beneath the stadium. Hmm ... that's our features at the new stadium.
July 7, 201115 yr Right after Edwin left he said this... "The physical talent is there but asking those young players to be the guys, to step up for [injured pitcher Josh Johnson], to step up for [injured shortstop Hanley Ramirez] with their years in the big leagues, I think that they felt the pressure and then we start losing and it was a snowball," ..."I think it was that we were missing that veteran voice, veteran influence in the clubhouse that would take charge of that because as a coach and as a manager there's so much you can say or do." Cameron is not a threat to take over a spot in the outfield but should help the current outfielders play up to their abilities.
July 7, 201115 yr I think you guys are forgetting that this move probably came from Trader Jack himself, didn't the articlle say that Jack has a really good relationship with Mike Cameron and we know that a team with so many young players needs a positive veteran voice sometimes. Someone who's been through the wars, like Darren Dalton was that one year. Cameron is here to show the kids how to get the job done, off the field, on the field, attitude, work ethic, etc. . .Cameron is a positive for this organization.
July 7, 201115 yr I think this might be a move where you would have needed to be in a major league clubhouse before to gauge the importance of having enough veterans on a team. I never have, so I'll reserve my opinion on this one. But I'm not really too afraid of taking at-bats away from Petersen.
July 7, 201115 yr I think this might be a move where you would have needed to be in a major league clubhouse before to gauge the importance of having enough veterans on a team. I never have, so I'll reserve my opinion on this one. But I'm not really too afraid of taking at-bats away from Petersen. Peterson is hitting .315 since being called up, he is 6 - 19, 3 out of his 6 hits are doubles. He is seeing the ball pretty well right now leave him in and see how long it lasts.
July 7, 201115 yr Regardless of precisely why or for what combination of reasons Cameron was signed, Jack has been VERY clear that Petersen is going to play. He doesn't care if he goes 0-5 or 5-5, he's going to start. From the PBP: “He never had a chance to play (in May),� McKeon said. “He’d pinch hit. And when you pinch hit, what’s the first thing you try to do? You play outside yourself because you try to impress the manager.� With the Marlins in desperate need of a spark after a dismal June, McKeon told Petersen he’d be a regular this weekend. The Marlins took two of three from the defending American League champion Texas Rangers, and Petersen played a major part, batting ninth and playing each outfield position. From MLB.com: "I told him to play the game the way he's been playing in New Orleans," McKeon said. "I know he feels he's got to get a hit and he's got to make an impression. But I told him, 'You're not going to impress me if you go 5-for-5 or if you go 0-for-5.' I just want you to relax, have fun and do whatever it takes to help us win a game." That leads me to believe that Jack will use Cameron mostly from the bench and to give LoMo and Stanton a day off here and there. Rarely to give Petersen an off-day, he's only been up for a week. Maybe in August or September. What happens to Wise? Probably gone the instant they need a roster spot, if not sooner. If Cameron is a flop, then maybe he's gone and Wise stays, we'll see. About the only thing that's clear is that neither Wise nor Cameron will be taking any significant number of at-bats, if any at all, from Petersen.
July 7, 201115 yr I know I keep harping on Cogs lately but with all this outfield talk, is the team just going to stick Cogs in AAA for most the year or is the injury more substantial than thought? Also have they said who the player to be named later is or if it's straight cash?
July 7, 201115 yr I know I keep harping on Cogs lately but with all this outfield talk, is the team just going to stick Cogs in AAA for most the year or is the injury more substantial than thought? Also have they said who the player to be named later is or if it's straight cash? Even when Cogs was here, its not as if there was anything worthwhile behind him. This team really needed another experienced bench bat and at the end of the day that is what Cameron is going to provide. I know we've had Dewayne Wise here, but Cameron brings all the potential qualities of Wise but with more, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone. Either way, I don't think this says anything about CC that we didn't already know. He was demoted for performance, and if he doesn't look confident during rehab he may be optioned anyway, just to get his bat going. When CC appears ready, he'll be here and nothing will be in his way, at least barring a more substantial move.
July 7, 201115 yr I think this might be a move where you would have needed to be in a major league clubhouse before to gauge the importance of having enough veterans on a team. I never have, so I'll reserve my opinion on this one. But I'm not really too afraid of taking at-bats away from Petersen. Peterson is hitting .315 since being called up, he is 6 - 19, 3 out of his 6 hits are doubles. He is seeing the ball pretty well right now leave him in and see how long it lasts. Good stuff here, might as well put Cameron back on the bus, and the fact that Wise is still here really confuses the hell out of me. We are not in need of a CF'ers anymore. I hope to God Peterson blossoms I will be his number 1 fan. Interviewer to Peterson: "So when did you know you had made it." Peterson: "Well I was on a really bad Marlins ball club and I kinda just started hitting out of nowhere and I guess it's one of those things when you get a chance you take full advantage of it."
July 7, 201115 yr So, I previously quoted Jack about Petersen being here to start. Now, we have Cameron running his yap: "It's refreshing, obviously coming out of Boston and having an opportunity to come here with a lot of young kids and talent," Cameron said. "They need to find a way to put it together as a unit, instead of guys sparsely standing above each other." "Sparsely?" Huh? What the hell does that mean? Are they trees in a forest and some trees are taller than the others? But with few branches? This may be what Hanley will sound like in his declining years. The guy clearly knows nothing about this team. That sort of goofy comment alone is enough to make one question his ability to provide any "veteran leadership." People who can't speak coherent English aren't taken seriously by anyone, not even jocks. That he apparently thinks anyone on this team is only out for themselves speaks more about Cameron than anyone else. Beinfest talks about him in Helms-type terms, as in "Cameron's leadership." Doesn't sound like a starter to me: On Tuesday, Marlins president of baseball operations Admin Beinfest said that the team has been searching for a veteran presence for the young ballclub. "We've been kind of poking around and tried with [Jose] Lopez, and it didn't work out," Beinfest said. "We tried to add some veteran presence here to help with some of our younger guys here in the second half. We just thought it made sense." Jack also talks about him in Helms/bench-type terms: "He brings experience. He's a good guy on the club," said McKeon, who coached Cameron in Cincinnati. "I think he'll certainly be able to help some of the young outfielders, and he's a gamer. He likes to play the game and keeps the clubhouse loose. He's a fun guy, good competitor. He can still run, [he's a] good center fielder and he's got some good pop." He didn't earn any brownie points with his debut PH foul-out tonight, with a guy on 3B and one out. For some reason, the local reporters seem to think he's going to get a lot of starts. They seem to be hanging their hat on this slim reed: Marlins interim manager Jack McKeon said that he envisions Cameron as a starter and letting all of his outfielders "get plenty of work" once the former All-Star shakes off some of the rust. Envisions? People envision lots of things. Doesn't mean any of them are going to happen. Based on Jack's comments, I don't think anything has changed with regard to Petersen. He will start. Usually, when Jack says something, he means it.
July 7, 201115 yr The Marlins bench is full of guys who probably don't belong in the big leagues. Helms, Cameron, Wise...yikes. Of course, this could probably be said for a lot of bench players, anyway.
July 7, 201115 yr veteran leadership :banghead why can't they just bring these guys in as like... towel boys. pep talk the guys in the dugout without wasting roster spots.
July 7, 201115 yr Author veteran leadership :banghead why can't they just bring these guys in as like... towel boys. pep talk the guys in the dugout without wasting roster spots. I don't think it truly has anything to do with "veteran leadership." What happened is that Beinfest botched in the offseason adding some IF/OF depth to the team and perhaps over-estimated Coghlan's abilities (his 2010 performance should have been more of a warning sign). Now that the team sucks, and the lack of depth is plainly obvious, he's desperately trying to piece things together to salvage the season. In the Marlins' case this needs to be done as cheaply as possible.
July 7, 201115 yr veteran leadership :banghead why can't they just bring these guys in as like... towel boys. pep talk the guys in the dugout without wasting roster spots. I don't think it truly has anything to do with "veteran leadership." What happened is that Beinfest botched in the offseason adding some IF/OF depth to the team and perhaps over-estimated Coghlan's abilities (his 2010 performance should have been more of a warning sign). Now that the team sucks, and the lack of depth is plainly obvious, he's desperately trying to piece things together to salvage the season. In the Marlins' case this needs to be done as cheaply as possible. Just curious, what do you consider "salvaging" the season at this point. From now to October, what will make u say "ah well, what a disappointment but at least we salvaged the season."? .500? Over .500? Getting out of last place? A winning record under Jack?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.