2012-2013 Florida Panthers/NHL Thread

Dr Beinfest

Well that's when rebound control gets really important.

Ironically, Luongo is a really good goalie who is terrible at rebound control. He's just really good on 2nd chance opportunities as well.

Yeah, that's because of Francis Allaire, the former leafs goalie coach. He's too much of at way is the only way coach. It's helped Luongo become elite, but he's too rigid on the first shot because Allaire instilled in him a "Blocking" style butterfly over a Reactive style. Allaire is what ruined The Monster in Toronto, as well as the other goalies.

Warren Strelow taught each goalie how to play situations and coached them within each goalies style. That's why Nabokov is a stand up, Toskala is more of a butterfly and Kipprusoff is a Reactive Profly goalie. All coached by the same man but each taught to enhance their own natural abilities. Kipprusoff has a hell of a glove hand too, which helps when he goes down on one knee to make saves.

Allaire took luongo and tried to force him into a Butterfly on every shot because that's all he taught/teaches. He teaches the second save should be in the butterfly with a t-push across the crease to get you in position. Luongos length and reach along with his natural ability has helped him stay effective on the first shot. His natural talent shows in the second shot, when its his reflexes that have to take over.

In other words- second chance attempts is when you see the Luongo that was drafted by the islanders first overall.

First save attempts is when you see the Luongo that Allaire has created.

God I hate Allaire.

That blocking style doesn't lend itself to rebound control or rebound suppression, that's why it shouldn't ever be a goalies go to style. It works for Lundquist because that's who he's always been and he knows how to cushion a shot with equipment changes and movements.

With a faster shot in the NHL and stiffer pad that Luongo uses, the puck just flys into the slot or to a waiting player. I've never seen another goalie who's rebounds go farther than luongo, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.I appreciate the goalie insight. I can never get too technical with goaltending because I don't know a lot of the lingo but I get the gist.

It's my understanding that Luongo is as orthodox as they get?

Not really, he's too technical on the first save selection. He always butterflied, but not as often and only when it called for it. Now he does it as a "start here" and react to the puck out of it.

This is a butterfly.

Luongo has aged and his has gotten narrower through the years but he is quite effective from it in a first save. He just can't control rebounds well from it and he's so coiled up he can't react quick enough to cover them up if they landed in front. He can't suppress the shot well, which is when he uncoils and goes back to his prospect days and excels at those second chances.

This is the best I can find that describes what I mean by T pushing and sliding in the buttefly for the second shot.

It works, but only when used properly and correctly at the time it's needed- mostly shots up close.

Allaire likes to teach the butterfly as the first save, the slide and butterfly as the second save and the butterfly and slide as the third save.

19-50 seconds of this clip kind of shows where it can work, and where it can't (further out from the crease).

This clip shows Kiprusoffs style where he uses active hands on pucks instead of putting his gloves down by his pads to block space. It helps smother rebounds and control the puck. You can see active hands as the glove is always up, but facing the ice in the direction of the puck. Contrast that with the above pic of Luongo where his glove hand is up against his chest and not ready to catch the puck but to trap it against his body instead if he can.

I know it's early but damn what a statement game. Chasing a starting goalie with all the injuries we have and our top rookies playing spectacular = statement.

New signings like Kovalev played well too.

This lockout is going to be murder on those goalies who didn't get on the ice everyday and chose to do dry land training. I think Ward was one of them. Luongo,Anderson, Vokoun, Theodore and Clemenson were all on ice each day down here.

Crap crap crap game tonight.

What was the problem? The stats didn't look that far off (similar PIM; 37/31 shots, etc.)....

The box score is very deceiving.

As Dr. B said, Theodore was the only good player for us. Jack Skille had some nice shifts, too. All in all, it was garbage.

Steve Goldstein does a good interview on NHL network:

http://video.panthers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=93&id=194685&cmpid=embed-share-video

He says what I think is the reality with the Luongo situation. What Vancouver wants and what Florida might be willing to give is not even close. The only reason there is any speculation of Vancouver trading Luongo to Florida is because Luongo says he wants to play for Florida. And of course all the Vancouver fans spread the speculation because they want one or more of the Panther prospects. None of this has anything to do with the actual possibility of a trade.

Well yeah Skille always doing what he does. He's never 'bad' so much as he's not talented and wont make a difference if the guys getting the majority of the minutes are sucking.

The thing about Skille is that he drives really hard to the net with a defender on him and makes a predictable shot/move every time. He brings some energy and can draw penalties well at least.

Don't blink -- slow starts cost you your division in a 48 game season.

Of course. It's worth noting though that the Devils went 2-4-2 when they won the cup last time there was a shortened season. It's still early enough push the back-to-back aside, but they need to play better fast.

I was expecting a much better effort after the horrible game last night in ottawa. i lost 50 dollars on this game to my friends in montreal.

we need to get a lot fucking better and do it fast. of course we have ottawa coming in on tuesday.

we better be in it by the time the panthers come to new york city so i can see them.