Is Logan Morrison the new Jeremy Hermida?

I know, you all might think I'm nuts with this comparision. But they are both lefty swinging outfiedlers that came to Miami with a ton of hype. Jeremy Hermida has played in 632 games in his first 8 years in the majors and he is 517 of 2,012 (,257 avg, .749 OPS) with 248 runs scored, 65 homers, 250 RBIs and 22 stolen bases. Logan Morrison has played in 278 games in first three years with the Marlins and he is 251 of 1,002 (.250 avg, .781 OPS) with 127 runs scored, 36 homers, 126 RBIs and 3 stolen bases. Morrison is still young, so he might improve, but he reminds me a lot of Hermida so far in his career.

The difference is ...

Morrison has had injuries and played out of position.

Hermida didn't really have that issue.

hermida had lots of injury issues. in fact, the number of games played the first two full seasons of each player's career is eerily similar: 216 for morrison, 222 for hermida.

The difference is ...

Morrison has had injuries and played out of position.

Hermida didn't really have that issue.

hermida had lots of injury issues. in fact, the number of games played the first two full seasons of each player's career is eerily similar: 216 for morrison, 222 for hermida.

OK, 2006, yeah he had injuries. But he played full time basically in 07 and put up his best numbers, then just dropped off while being mostly healthy. Morrison has gone through nagging knee injuries and a couple knee surgeries, while also playing out of position as I said. A position that put a lot of strain on his knees.

Morrison, I will say, is definitely not the new Hermida.

eh lomo at least plays hard unlike hermida. Also, Lomo was a 22nd round pick and had to work his way to get noticed. Hermida was a first rounder and thought he was god's gift to baseball

I'm not sure if that's a fair assessment at all. That's like calling Dan Uggla a hard worker.

I don't recall Hermida having a bad work ethic, just him sucking ass.

eh lomo at least plays hard unlike hermida. Also, Lomo was a 22nd round pick and had to work his way to get noticed. Hermida was a first rounder and thought he was god's gift to baseball

I'm not sure if that's a fair assessment at all. That's like calling Dan Uggla a hard worker.

I don't recall Hermida having a bad work ethic, just him sucking ass.

Hermida was pretty lazy and did have an arrogance. He never really had to work for anything here and that caught up to him in the major leagues.

What evidence do you have for that? I hate when players get called 'lazy', because half the time that's not true.

I have a feeling that the FO will trade LoMo at the deadline if they get an offer. He hasn't exactly rubbed Samson and Co. the right way with things like Twitter. I figure especially with this team basically a shell of a major league franchise, they wouldn't bat an eye if they get a halfway decent offer from another team.

Hermida did have an injury problem. His brain. Looking beyond the stats Hermida was a head case. As a lefty, he maybe should have been a pitcher instead of a fielder. He of great potential was his own worst enemy. Morrison doesn't have to fight with mental demons like Hermida did. Morrison just needs to work on his skills like a normal player. Personality wise he's just the type that could flourish under the situation and manager in Miami as opposed to a new team where he'd come in as the unproven young player with a history of being refreshingly open, which might get squashed on the normal team that has some established veterans and proven young players. I expect Morrison to have his best year yet in 2013.

Put him at first and stop wearing his legs down in the OF and we will see.

I don't get this. Sure, put him at 1B because he is better there, but shouldn't a pro athlete in his mid 20s be able to play the outfield every night without his legs being worn down?

By this logic Giancarlo should play 1B.

By your thinking, everyone should play first base.

Put him at first and stop wearing his legs down in the OF and we will see.

I don't get this. Sure, put him at 1B because he is better there, but shouldn't a pro athlete in his mid 20s be able to play the outfield every night without his legs being worn down?

By this logic Giancarlo should play 1B.

By your thinking, everyone should play first base.

no, it's kind of the opposite of that.