Do we still have a shot at the wildcard?

E CaT PanTHer

LOL, ok hear me out before you decide to flame me and shove this post to the ground.

Since those two disastrous months to start the season, the Marlins have actually been playing some pretty good ball. Someone said we were 28-24 since the end of May.

Currently we're 17 games behind the WC leader, but only 7 games back from being in the top 5. If we can somehow put together a nice little run in August and get ourselves within the top 5, there is a chance we can make a run for it (I've seen weirder things happen in baseball).

The pitching staff has been absolutely dominant in the past month, month and a half, and if our bats can catch a spark, I can see us closing out the season strong.

No. as well as the marlins have played, the first 2 months were still disastrous, and theyre hitting a tough part of the schedule, with the indians, braves, royals, pirates, and dodgers.

thats not to say they cant close out relatively strong, and manage somewhere around a 72-90 record, but theyre dead as far as the WC goes.

i would say that if progress is made offensively, and the pitching maintains its level of excellence next year, they could have a shot at the 2014 WC, but that, too, is a longshot.

perhaps he is referring to the september collapses by both the braves and red sox a couple years ago?

id say leading your division (boston) headed into the last month, and then missing the playoffs altogether constitutes as very weird.

Historically weird actually.

and the cardinals went on a ridiculous run to secure the wc spot from the braves, despite the braves holding a 10.5 game lead over them headed into september iirc.

The optimism is great but there is no chance of us making the playoffs. Maybe 2014, but even then entering the season we'll be projected not to.

For now I would just enjoy watching the younger players develop. And enjoy watching Stanton because he might not be here next season.

perhaps he is referring to the september collapses by both the braves and red sox a couple years ago?

id say leading your division (boston) headed into the last month, and then missing the playoffs altogether constitutes as very weird.

Historically weird actually.

and the cardinals went on a ridiculous run to secure the wc spot from the braves, despite the braves holding a 10.5 game lead over them headed into september iirc.

Yes, those, and of course the mets collapse in 2007. 7 game lead with 17 to go. Oh how amazing that was.

Guest Vince0926

I don't care what anybody in the middle of the wild card does. I care about what the reds do. I care about what the marlins do. They lose, we win, we gain. Magic number is 38. Based on those 2 team schedules we are in "contention" until at least August 22 that is we lose out and they win all out. If we can "contend" until sept 20 and get eliminated then, then it's a damn good improvement. But the goal should be surviving passed September 29.

LOL, ok hear me out before you decide to flame me and shove this post to the ground.

Since those two disastrous months to start the season, the Marlins have actually been playing some pretty good ball. Someone said we were 28-24 since the end of May.

Currently we're 17 games behind the WC leader, but only 7 games back from being in the top 5. If we can somehow put together a nice little run in August and get ourselves within the top 5, there is a chance we can make a run for it (I've seen weirder things happen in baseball).

The pitching staff has been absolutely dominant in the past month, month and a half, and if our bats can catch a spark, I can see us closing out the season strong.

Guest Guest

This is incredibly stupid. The Marlins need to go 39-16 just to finish with a .500 record. That means they'd have to go something like 46-9.

Geffner with an interesting stat on 790.

We are 2/3 through the season. The first third, Marlins went 13-41. The second third Marlins are 30-24. Not only are we first in the NL East during that stretch, but it equals the performance of a 90 win team over 162.

Pretty impressive...

Geffner with an interesting stat on 790.

We are 2/3 through the season. The first third, Marlins went 13-41. The second third Marlins are 30-24. Not only are we first in the NL East during that stretch, but it equals the performance of a 90 win team over 162.

Pretty impressive...

Awesome, but it's funny how Gef just magically figured out that a 30 win team multiplied by 3 equals a 90 win team. Lol

we can definitely make the playoffs next year. we need to have a mediocre to bad offense to make the playoffs with this pitching. this year we have been one of the worst offense's in history.

I don't want to get too carried away just yet, I'd like to see a bigger sample size from Alvarez, Eovaldi and Turner as well. I'm sold on Jose Fernandez, but I feel Koehler is more suited to long relief in the bullpen. I'm interested in seeing how someone like Flynn will do in September (if he replaces Jose in the rotation) and then there's Conley and others that will get a shot in spring training. As I've said several times now, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Marlins go with Heaney from the start of 2014 if he has a good spring and a good month of August right now. The Marlins have proved they're not afraid to be recklessly aggressive.

A lot of this 2014 potential also depends on remaining injury free.

The lineup has a lot more question marks and we'll have to see how they develop.

Really makes 2014 sound like a promising year.

2014 should be a promising year, there's a lot to look forward to and be happy about even if we don't make the playoffs. I'd be happy if they won 84 games and developed to be ready for 2015.

Maybe they'll spend some money to help these guys out...

/but probably not :(

Thing is, they'd only need to invest in one or two positions.

2B or C. Maybe both.

Not particularly long term either since I'm sure we'll have asolid young player ready in a couple years at each position.

I see C-2B-SS as my primary order of concerns.

I really like Hech a lot with the glove and there's potential with the bat, but I want to see more of a sample size. Even during his hot July, he walked at a 3.7% rate which was his lowest month this season. He also struckout at 16.8% which was his highest month of the season and had a 393 BABIP to go with it. That was over 400 before he cooled off in the last week of the month. His average was higher from month to month as his line drives also went up. He also managed to get his flyballs down to his lowest month in July, we saw what he was doing... he was hitting singles the other way and also mixed in 5 doubles - a highest monthly total. We just need to see more from him, we need to see how he's maturing. Sometimes months like Hech had are the start of a youngster figuring it out, but sometimes they're also a flash in the pan or there are signs of luck. We need more data.

Hopefully Dietrich will be back up for a good run at 2B in September. I'm not convinced about him long-term, but I'd still give him a shot in 2014 to develop. If he has a bad first half in 2014 and the Marlins do find themselves as fast tracked contenders, they can always make a move. The pitching depth that they're developing might allow them to be able to do something.

No idea on catcher, Mathis seems to be doing a good job defensively and handling the pitchers. That doesn't mean we still can't upgrade the position, but its always an enigma of a position to fill.

I think it'll be an interesting offseason for this forum as we have more of a sample size to analyze what we can reasonably expect in 2014.

Im very happy for our catching situation Mathis is an excellent mentor to Brenly

Brenly is having a bit of a sophomore slump but he is an outstanding young talent

Our biggest concern is the middle infield, Hechavarria bat is coming around his glove is close to elite his range

is eye poppin

Donovan Solano is solid every way around he can man the job until Dietrich or someone else is ready to take over

then he will have a solid career as a utility infielder

3rd base is waiting for Collin Moran, enough said

Our pitching rotation is so talented and we have about 4 lefties ready to send Koehler to the bullpen in September

Our Outfield with Yelich, Marisnick and Stanton is the best young outfield ever assembled together in Marlins history, add Ozuna as a 4th Outfielder after he is recovered from his injury The future seems very bright but it it will not be in 2013 (kinda reminds me when the Expo's fielded an Outfield of Dawson, Valentine and Cromartie)

Which Marlin's team do you prefer now? Last years underachievers, or this year young guns? The Marlins were 100% right to bust up the team after last season, they are reaping the rewards sooner rather than later. I love watching this team

Im very happy for our catching situation Mathis is an excellent mentor to Brenly

Brenly is having a bit of a sophomore slump but he is an outstanding young talent

I wouldn't say Brantly is an outstanding young talent or suffering a sophomore slump, he didn't have a large enough sample size in 2012 to begin with. He had 113 plate appearances with 13 walks, 16 strikeouts - that 11.5% BB rate was much higher then anything he had done since 2010 A ball. In 215 PAs this season, he's also had 13 walks and 46 strikeouts. That's a 6% BB rate with a 21.4% K rate.

In such a limited sample size, his OBP became inflated and the larger sample size from this season has revealed a possibly more true Brantly.

Even though it is 54 ABs, he has 6 hits in his short career against lefties. I'm not sure he's even likely to get an opportunity again to show that he can hit lefties. He has a 29% K rate against them compared to 16.7% against righties in his short career.

Add this to the fact that even last season, he didn't look that good behind the plate... there's a LOT of work to do.

What are the Marlins even doing with him right now? Is he supposed to learn from the bench? He's not playing, he's not able to get into any kind of playing momentum with consecutive games. They sent Dietrich back down to the minors to work on his game because they feel he's part of the future. Right now... he is and 2014 will be his shot to prove that. If he doesn't then they'll find another replacement for 2015 when we should be more prime to contend. Why leave Brantly to rot on the bench if he's our exceptional talent and future of the catching position? Why not just let him play so he can learn? 2013 is a loss anyway, right?

But, no, they want to protect the young pitchers, build up their winning culture and they feel Mathis handles them better. I can't argue with that at all. Brantly is the one that suffers for it and he gets to sit on the bench and.. take notes? Doesn't make sense to me and I don't think they see him as the catcher of the future. So who is? Are we going to go into 2015 with Mathis still? We can't do better then that?

I'd still like to see Brantly play more so there's more of a sample size, but I know why he's not. I'm not sure what the solution is.

3rd base is waiting for Collin Moran, enough said

It is and I doubt Moran will be ready before 2015, maybe he will get a late 2014 call-up. Do we just plug in Lucas and Solano in the meantime? Do we give Zack Cox a shot? If Cox plays well, it gives more time for Moran to develop and Cox can build up some trade value. The guy has a 13.4% BB rate in AA which is awesome, he has no power at all, but he has a 386 OBP and hes another lefty hitter.

So, like Yelich and LoMo, he's an OBP guy and another lefty. Moran will be another one of these when he replaces Cox. Obviously there's other differences between them, but where does Cox fit into a lineup? Yelich, LoMo, Cox and Dietrich. Lefties all over the place! Add Brantly into the mix as well, ha!

I guess he would be a 7 or 8 hitter, he can take his walks, get bunted over and see if Yelich can drive him in. I would assume he has a chance at the spot in spring training, the Marlins will likely also invite other older players for the chance of winning the spot.

Our Outfield with Yelich, Marisnick and Stanton is the best young outfield ever assembled together in Marlins history, add Ozuna as a 4th Outfielder after he is recovered from his injury The future seems very bright but it it will not be in 2013

A bit early to say that, but it has potential to be very damn good. It'll be interesting to look at the numbers from Yelich and Marisnick at the end of the season and to see what they can do in 2014.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.