Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do we still have a shot at the wildcard?

Featured Replies

It is and I doubt Moran will be ready before 2015, maybe he will get a late 2014 call-up. Do we just plug in Lucas and Solano in the meantime? Do we give Zack Cox a shot? If Cox plays well, it gives more time for Moran to develop and Cox can build up some trade value. The guy has a 13.4% BB rate in AA which is awesome, he has no power at all, but he has a 386 OBP and hes another lefty hitter.

So, like Yelich and LoMo, he's an OBP guy and another lefty. Moran will be another one of these when he replaces Cox. Obviously there's other differences between them, but where does Cox fit into a lineup? Yelich, LoMo, Cox and Dietrich. Lefties all over the place! Add Brantly into the mix as well, ha!

 

I guess he would be a 7 or 8 hitter, he can take his walks, get bunted over and see if Yelich can drive him in. I would assume he has a chance at the spot in spring training, the Marlins will likely also invite other older players for the chance of winning the spot.

 

 

 

Cox would be an ideal #2 hitter in a major league lineup. Left-handed bat that can be used in hit and run situations, walks consistently, can move guys over. I think there's a good chance he will get a call in September so they can see a little bit of what he can do at the big league level. Our #2 hitters have been stopgap after stopgap this year, it would be nice if he could fill that hole temporarily next year. I could imagine a lineup something like this with that we currently have, should be able to get us by...

 

Yelich LF

Cox 3B

Stanton RF

Morrison 1B

Marisnick CF

Dietrich 2B

Hechavarria SS

Brantly C

Cox would be an ideal #2 hitter in a major league lineup. Left-handed bat that can be used in hit and run situations, walks consistently, can move guys over. I think there's a good chance he will get a call in September so they can see a little bit of what he can do at the big league level. Our #2 hitters have been stopgap after stopgap this year, it would be nice if he could fill that hole temporarily next year. I could imagine a lineup something like this with that we currently have, should be able to get us by...

 

Yelich LF

Cox 3B

Stanton RF

Morrison 1B

Marisnick CF

Dietrich 2B

Hechavarria SS

Brantly C

 

 

While I would agree that he'd make a decent #2, I don't like having two lefties back to back at the top of the order. Don't like it anywhere in the order really, but there appears to be nowhere better for him in that lineup. 5 of the 8 position players are lefties, heh.

Cox would be an ideal #2 hitter in a major league lineup. Left-handed bat that can be used in hit and run situations, walks consistently, can move guys over. I think there's a good chance he will get a call in September so they can see a little bit of what he can do at the big league level. Our #2 hitters have been stopgap after stopgap this year, it would be nice if he could fill that hole temporarily next year. I could imagine a lineup something like this with that we currently have, should be able to get us by...

 

Yelich LF

Cox 3B

Stanton RF

Morrison 1B

Marisnick CF

Dietrich 2B

Hechavarria SS

Brantly C

 

While I would agree that he'd make a decent #2, I don't like having two lefties back to back at the top of the order. Don't like it anywhere in the order really, but there appears to be nowhere better for him in that lineup. 5 of the 8 position players are lefties, heh. I'm not really in the habit of predicting lineups, but you could move marisnick to #2 (where he hit in jax) and maybe have hech at 6 ...but you still have 2 lefties in a row, twice.

 

 

I'm also of the mindset that Brantly is a career backup, and if they want him to start he should be refining his game in AAA right now.

 

Also not sold on dietrich. He's like an Uggla that doesn't walk. An uggla that doesn't walk isn't very good.

I think Marisnick was a #2 hitter in Jax for the purpose of getting him more AB's and because of his talent level relative to the rest of the league. In the majors, he should figure to be hitting around 5-7. If he lives up to his full potential, I could see him hitting cleanup - but most likely he should slot in that 5 or 6 spot.

It is and I doubt Moran will be ready before 2015, maybe he will get a late 2014 call-up. Do we just plug in Lucas and Solano in the meantime? Do we give Zack Cox a shot? If Cox plays well, it gives more time for Moran to develop and Cox can build up some trade value. The guy has a 13.4% BB rate in AA which is awesome, he has no power at all, but he has a 386 OBP and hes another lefty hitter.

So, like Yelich and LoMo, he's an OBP guy and another lefty. Moran will be another one of these when he replaces Cox. Obviously there's other differences between them, but where does Cox fit into a lineup? Yelich, LoMo, Cox and Dietrich. Lefties all over the place! Add Brantly into the mix as well, ha!

 

I guess he would be a 7 or 8 hitter, he can take his walks, get bunted over and see if Yelich can drive him in. I would assume he has a chance at the spot in spring training, the Marlins will likely also invite other older players for the chance of winning the spot.

 

 

 

Cox would be an ideal #2 hitter in a major league lineup. Left-handed bat that can be used in hit and run situations, walks consistently, can move guys over. I think there's a good chance he will get a call in September so they can see a little bit of what he can do at the big league level. Our #2 hitters have been stopgap after stopgap this year, it would be nice if he could fill that hole temporarily next year. I could imagine a lineup something like this with that we currently have, should be able to get us by...

 

Yelich LF

Cox 3B

Stanton RF

Morrison 1B

Marisnick CF

Dietrich 2B

Hechavarria SS

Brantly C

 

 

That's a bad lineup.

 

And I'm not saying that your order is wrong, I'm just saying that the hitters are bad. If this team hopes to contend next year, they need to sign or trade for a couple of proven bats. They certainly have the money to do it...

It is and I doubt Moran will be ready before 2015, maybe he will get a late 2014 call-up. Do we just plug in Lucas and Solano in the meantime? Do we give Zack Cox a shot? If Cox plays well, it gives more time for Moran to develop and Cox can build up some trade value. The guy has a 13.4% BB rate in AA which is awesome, he has no power at all, but he has a 386 OBP and hes another lefty hitter.

So, like Yelich and LoMo, he's an OBP guy and another lefty. Moran will be another one of these when he replaces Cox. Obviously there's other differences between them, but where does Cox fit into a lineup? Yelich, LoMo, Cox and Dietrich. Lefties all over the place! Add Brantly into the mix as well, ha!

 

I guess he would be a 7 or 8 hitter, he can take his walks, get bunted over and see if Yelich can drive him in. I would assume he has a chance at the spot in spring training, the Marlins will likely also invite other older players for the chance of winning the spot.

 

 

 

Cox would be an ideal #2 hitter in a major league lineup. Left-handed bat that can be used in hit and run situations, walks consistently, can move guys over. I think there's a good chance he will get a call in September so they can see a little bit of what he can do at the big league level. Our #2 hitters have been stopgap after stopgap this year, it would be nice if he could fill that hole temporarily next year. I could imagine a lineup something like this with that we currently have, should be able to get us by...

 

Yelich LF

Cox 3B

Stanton RF

Morrison 1B

Marisnick CF

Dietrich 2B

Hechavarria SS

Brantly C

 

 

Cox would make a terrible major league starter anywhere you put him.

 

I'm with Erik. To compete next year, you need to trade or sign a bat or two. It doesn't even need to be a star-caliber bat. Two solid supplementary hitters should be enough given the pitching depth we figure to have next year.

 

However, the FA pool next year looks like total s***. Unless you're going to take a chance signing a 30-year old Brian McCann, you need to look to trade.

I'm with Erik. To compete next year, you need to trade or sign a bat or two. It doesn't even need to be a star-caliber bat. Two solid supplementary hitters should be enough given the pitching depth we figure to have next year.

 

However, the FA pool next year looks like total s***. Unless you're going to take a chance signing a 30-year old Brian McCann, you need to look to trade.

 

 

I know I wrote quite a bit, but that was the point of my posts at the top of this page... I was questioning the depth of the lineup, but focusing on the positions themselves as well. The reason being that I have serious doubts about C, 2B and 3B. I have mild concerns about SS, I still think LoMo at 1B needs to show some more in the last 2 months. Yelich and Marisnick in the OF are new to the majors so they'll have their issues next year. It just leaves Stanton really.

 

So, yeah, I agree with you guys about 2014.

What about Kouzmanoff? I know he is a little bit older but he has been hitting really well in AAA since coming back from an injury. Waive Polanco and call up Kouz. I would like to see what he has left. Lucas is a really nice story, but he is at most a utility player.

I would love to see KK up with the Marlins but it will mot happen unless Polanco is traded The Marlins will continue to platoon

Polanco/Lucas until September callups (its not about 2013). KK will get his chance to make the club in the spring

For what it's worth, I would love to have Brian McCann.

 

 

We're not paying for any good players in free agency. McCann obviously isn't happening.

 

I think Cox could be mildly productive at 3B if given the chance next season as a stopgap to Moran. He's 24 years old already so he should get a shot at a back up job in the majors soon. More importantly, he's been able to put up a .380+ OBP this season and a good OBP nearly every stop in the minors. If he can get on base at a .350+ clip at the major league level, even with absolutely no power, he'd be a productive member of a major league starting lineup. Given how well Jeff Mathis has handled the pitching staff this season, I strangely don't mind him hitting 8th next season and starting.

 

I'd be fine with a team in 2014 of

 

LF: Yelich

CF: Marisnick

RF: Stanton

1B: Morrison

2B: Dietrich

SS: Hechavarria

3B: Cox

C: Mathis

 

I've mentioned Eric Chavez as a guy for 3B the last few seasons, but given how good he's played this year he's probably out of the question. I also haven't looked up the free agent market so I can't say the players I'd like to grab, but if we could find reasonably cheap solutions at C, 3B, SS, or 2B you take the players and start them. I honestly expect to start next season with Yelich, Marisnick, Stanton, Morrison, Dietrich, Hechavarria, and somebody we find in free agency for 3B and catcher.

 

It's still obviously way too early to make any assumptions about next year's lineup. If you look at previous predictions we've made about future lineups you'll understand how quickly things can change based on a variety of factors. I do think it's safe to say that the lineup as a whole needs a few tweaks over the next few years in order for the team to be competitive.

I can guarantee the Marlins have absolutely no intentions of looking at SS in any capacity. Hech is the starter for the foreseeable future.

I can guarantee the Marlins have absolutely no intentions of looking at SS in any capacity. Hech is the starter for the foreseeable future.

 

 

if that is the case Hech needs to get on above .320. that is all it would take for him to be productive.

For what it's worth, I would love to have Brian McCann.

 

 

We're not paying for any good players in free agency. McCann obviously isn't happening.

 

I think Cox could be mildly productive at 3B if given the chance next season as a stopgap to Moran. He's 24 years old already so he should get a shot at a back up job in the majors soon. More importantly, he's been able to put up a .380+ OBP this season and a good OBP nearly every stop in the minors. If he can get on base at a .350+ clip at the major league level, even with absolutely no power, he'd be a productive member of a major league starting lineup. Given how well Jeff Mathis has handled the pitching staff this season, I strangely don't mind him hitting 8th next season and starting.

 

I'd be fine with a team in 2014 of

 

LF: Yelich

CF: Marisnick

RF: Stanton

1B: Morrison

2B: Dietrich

SS: Hechavarria

3B: Cox

C: Mathis

 

I've mentioned Eric Chavez as a guy for 3B the last few seasons, but given how good he's played this year he's probably out of the question. I also haven't looked up the free agent market so I can't say the players I'd like to grab, but if we could find reasonably cheap solutions at C, 3B, SS, or 2B you take the players and start them. I honestly expect to start next season with Yelich, Marisnick, Stanton, Morrison, Dietrich, Hechavarria, and somebody we find in free agency for 3B and catcher.

 

It's still obviously way too early to make any assumptions about next year's lineup. If you look at previous predictions we've made about future lineups you'll understand how quickly things can change based on a variety of factors. I do think it's safe to say that the lineup as a whole needs a few tweaks over the next few years in order for the team to be competitive.

 

 

They're out of price range because Loria is cheap. He definitely has the money to pay those guys.

Wasn't there some rumor out there (put out by Ken Rosenthal, I believe) that Loria was willing to spend again in the very near future to speed up the rebuilding process?

 

I mean, it's Loria but the last time those rumors surfaced we scoffed at them and he actually did spend.

thats not to say they cant close out relatively strong, and manage somewhere around a 72-90 record, but theyre dead as far as the WC goes.

 

It's worth noting that September is no walk in the park either. 5 vs ATL, 7 vs WSH, 3 vs DET.

Wasn't there some rumor out there (put out by Ken Rosenthal, I believe) that Loria was willing to spend again in the very near future to speed up the rebuilding process?

 

I mean, it's Loria but the last time those rumors surfaced we scoffed at them and he actually did spend.

 

I think he will. Hopefully this time around the signings are better.

 

 

Exactly. They had no plan in mind and spent like idiots. They almost gave Pujols over $200 million too. Imagine if that happened.

It is and I doubt Moran will be ready before 2015, maybe he will get a late 2014 call-up. Do we just plug in Lucas and Solano in the meantime? Do we give Zack Cox a shot? If Cox plays well, it gives more time for Moran to develop and Cox can build up some trade value. The guy has a 13.4% BB rate in AA which is awesome, he has no power at all, but he has a 386 OBP and hes another lefty hitter.

So, like Yelich and LoMo, he's an OBP guy and another lefty. Moran will be another one of these when he replaces Cox. Obviously there's other differences between them, but where does Cox fit into a lineup? Yelich, LoMo, Cox and Dietrich. Lefties all over the place! Add Brantly into the mix as well, ha!

 

I guess he would be a 7 or 8 hitter, he can take his walks, get bunted over and see if Yelich can drive him in. I would assume he has a chance at the spot in spring training, the Marlins will likely also invite other older players for the chance of winning the spot.

 

 

 

Cox would be an ideal #2 hitter in a major league lineup. Left-handed bat that can be used in hit and run situations, walks consistently, can move guys over. I think there's a good chance he will get a call in September so they can see a little bit of what he can do at the big league level. Our #2 hitters have been stopgap after stopgap this year, it would be nice if he could fill that hole temporarily next year. I could imagine a lineup something like this with that we currently have, should be able to get us by...

 

Yelich LF

Cox 3B

Stanton RF

Morrison 1B

Marisnick CF

Dietrich 2B

Hechavarria SS

Brantly C

 

 

ohhhhh sounds delightful.

It is and I doubt Moran will be ready before 2015, maybe he will get a late 2014 call-up. Do we just plug in Lucas and Solano in the meantime? Do we give Zack Cox a shot? If Cox plays well, it gives more time for Moran to develop and Cox can build up some trade value. The guy has a 13.4% BB rate in AA which is awesome, he has no power at all, but he has a 386 OBP and hes another lefty hitter.

So, like Yelich and LoMo, he's an OBP guy and another lefty. Moran will be another one of these when he replaces Cox. Obviously there's other differences between them, but where does Cox fit into a lineup? Yelich, LoMo, Cox and Dietrich. Lefties all over the place! Add Brantly into the mix as well, ha!

 

I guess he would be a 7 or 8 hitter, he can take his walks, get bunted over and see if Yelich can drive him in. I would assume he has a chance at the spot in spring training, the Marlins will likely also invite other older players for the chance of winning the spot.

 

 

 

Cox would be an ideal #2 hitter in a major league lineup. Left-handed bat that can be used in hit and run situations, walks consistently, can move guys over. I think there's a good chance he will get a call in September so they can see a little bit of what he can do at the big league level. Our #2 hitters have been stopgap after stopgap this year, it would be nice if he could fill that hole temporarily next year. I could imagine a lineup something like this with that we currently have, should be able to get us by...

 

Yelich LF

Cox 3B

Stanton RF

Morrison 1B

Marisnick CF

Dietrich 2B

Hechavarria SS

Brantly C

 

That's a bad lineup.

 

And I'm not saying that your order is wrong, I'm just saying that the hitters are bad. If this team hopes to contend next year, they need to sign or trade for a couple of proven bats. They certainly have the money to do it...

 

I'm not disagreeing that the lineup is bad, but internally, I have a feeling that's what we are looking at. While I would like to see what all of those guys are capable of next year, I also think we COULD be close to competing with a couple of good FA pickups as stop gaps to guys like Moran and Barnes. If I'm this divided, I wonder how ownership and the FO is going to feel this offseason...

i think we need a better 1b as well. Im just not a fan of Morrison there and with the outfield full we cant move him back out there. WE need a more powerful bat at 1b especially if we are going with yelich in LF and eventually Moran(who should be good but not a power hitter) at 3b. I would try to combine Morrison and a few prospects for a power bat at 1b.

 

I wish we would have landed Prince Fielder last offseason but of course the guy who played 162 games pretty much every year of his career was too fat.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.