9/18 post game

pollythewog

I get the feeling that a Solano, Hech, Lucas infield is a very realistic possibility next year.

These guys aren't blind or retarded.

While Hech will be starting, for plays like last night, that should be it. Solano will not be starting, Lucas will not be starting. Both will be on the team in utility capacities.But there can't be any possible way that the FO, with or without Beinfest & Co, looks at this offense and allows it to continue down the same road. There aren't even little positive or small victories to take away from the offense, it's just horrible.

I could see them exploring Coghlan as the new 3B, having Cox compete with him in ST, and using Lucas as a platoon option. I see Dietrich undoubtedly playing 2B, even after going through a mighty struggle his OPS is still way above and beyond Solano and there probably aren't any FA much better. My biggest fear is that they don't address catcher through FA and we end up with the same shit there...

I get the feeling that a Solano, Hech, Lucas infield is a very realistic possibility next year.

While Hech will be starting, for plays like last night, that should be it. Solano will not be starting, Lucas will not be starting. Both will be on the team in utility capacities.But there can't be any possible way that the FO, with or without Beinfest & Co, looks at this offense and allows it to continue down the same road. There aren't even little positive or small victories to take away from the offense, it's just horrible.

I could see them exploring Coghlan as the new 3B, having Cox compete with him in ST, and using Lucas as a platoon option. I see Dietrich undoubtedly playing 2B, even after going through a mighty struggle his OPS is still way above and beyond Solano and there probably aren't any FA much better. My biggest fear is that they don't address catcher through FA and we end up with the same s*** there...

Coghlan Cox and Lucas are the exact same player

I fully expect this team to trade minor league talent for solid major league players next season, in hopes of making a push in 2015.

That is a pretty optimistic outlook. I can't see how the cash flow will be there unless you are talking CHEAP solid ML players.

But it leads me to a question. We have at least a couple of players without much ML time but were signed to contracts through 2013 by their previous clubs. According to Cots, Hech and Turner fit this scenario. I would imagine this means arb years, etc are now irrelevant and we have to either offer them contracts or they become FAs? Or are they somehow still under club control?

I fully expect this team to trade minor league talent for solid major league players next season, in hopes of making a push in 2015.

That is a pretty optimistic outlook. I can't see how the cash flow will be there unless you are talking CHEAP solid ML players.

But it leads me to a question. We have at least a couple of players without much ML time but were signed to contracts through 2013 by their previous clubs. According to Cots, Hech and Turner fit this scenario. I would imagine this means arb years, etc are now irrelevant and we have to either offer them contracts or they become FAs? Or are they somehow still under club control?

Good question. According to Cots Adieny isn't a FA but he isn't arb eligible either. Apparantly Turner has an option for 2014. We have a lot of Arb 1 guys next year... https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tQJ2iJ0-ErOo_z9G3xKSQ9g&output=html

How much money do they have to spend next season? like 23 million or something? That's plenty of money to waste on washed up veterans. Get er done.

What do you mean by how much money they have to spend? Is there some new league minimum payroll rule I didn't hear about? Or was that a sarcastic question? I doubt they would spend 23 million anyway unless they are absolutely forced to by Selig.

Payroll this year was very low, and that was before Nolasco was traded. Let's say they go ahead and sign Stanton as to replace Nolasco's contract and then some, I would assume they'll still have a very low payroll even after arbitration raises. For the record, I did mean cheap ML talent. I expect them to do something similar to what the Nats did last year with Denard Span, or what they did the year before with Gio Gonzalez (prior to the extension.) I don't expect them to trade for a player with a long, expensive contract. I can't imagine Jeffrey Loria (especially with how meddlesome and erratic he is) going into next season with a team that lost 100 games the year before. While I don't necessarily believe he wants to win above everything, I do believe he wants to win enough that he'll shake things up a bit. He might make some stupid moves (like what he did with John Buck,) but he'll make moves that he perceives to be steps in the right direction.

And these guys with contracts need to have 8 (or 7, I don't remember) of ML experience before being FA's. They'll just go to arbitration after their contracts are up, I believe.

I could see them exploring Coghlan as the new 3B, having Cox compete with him in ST, and using Lucas as a platoon option. I see Dietrich undoubtedly playing 2B, even after going through a mighty struggle his OPS is still way above and beyond Solano and there probably aren't any FA much better. My biggest fear is that they don't address catcher through FA and we end up with the same s*** there...

Coghlan Cox and Lucas are the exact same player

I don't disagree, that's why they're the only three players internally that are likely to compete for the position next year. But Coghs with an obvious advantage, more ML experience and higher upside.

I could see them exploring Coghlan as the new 3B, having Cox compete with him in ST, and using Lucas as a platoon option. I see Dietrich undoubtedly playing 2B, even after going through a mighty struggle his OPS is still way above and beyond Solano and there probably aren't any FA much better. My biggest fear is that they don't address catcher through FA and we end up with the same s*** there...Coghlan Cox and Lucas are the exact same player

I don't disagree, that's why they're the only three players internally that are likely to compete for the position next year. But Coghs with an obvious advantage, more ML experience and higher upside.

What upside? He has .662 OPS on the year, has like .450 OPS since coming back, 0 speed and will be the worst defensive 3b in the league

Cox gets on base at a decent clip, but his ability in terms of hitting is slightly above average at best and he is a zero in the power department. His defense has been described as average to below average.

He's not a long term solution at the position, but I still hold that he's better than most anybody else we currently have to play third base (Coghlan/Polanco. I think Lucas is a better player strangely enough), and we're not going to learn anything about him in the minors. He's consistently been around a .350 OBP low .700 OPS guy and he's 24. He hasn't earned a call up, but there is still a chance he can contribute offensively to the team by getting on base 35% of the time.

Cox isn't really worth talking about though, because I don't feel like he'd contribute much of anything at the major league level. The best option is to sign somebody in free agency to play third base, but we're likely going into next season with Lucas or Coghlan playing third base opening day.

Cox has the most upside, I'd say, since he his defense is supposed to be good IIRC, and he was formerly a top prospect.

nah his defense is not a plus. arm is fine but range & glove are iffy. like dim mentioned, he's probably average over there at best. it was all about his bat, & that's become mostly singles lately. I don't see them making any significant acquisitions though so would like to see him get a shot at some point until Moran's ready. But yeah corner IF with little power and no plus glove... that's hard to stick.