Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stanton agrees to 13-year deal

Featured Replies

Yessssss!! This is amazing! I never thought this would actually happen.

 

Such a great day to be a Marlins fan. Can we start the season next week??

Yessssss!! This is amazing! I never thought this would actually happen.

 

Such a great day to be a Marlins fan. Can we start the season next week??

 

 

well we need a few more pieces before 2015 and all that :)

 

 

kind of interesting fish TV deal is up in 2020 as is stanton's opt out

 

 

Well the deal will be backloaded no doubt. And with the new TV deal means more $$$$ in the pocket of Loria. Basically it could be a small sign that if the team intends to re-sign him under the circumstances he opts out, they'd have the needed funds to sign him to an even bigger deal because of the new money from the TV deal.

 

Also not to be insensitive but by the time the opt out comes into question Jeffery Loria will be 80 years old. We all know that the two major things Jeffery Loria is known for is being #1 being generally cheap and #2 being incredibly competitive. With Loria getting up there in years, I'm sure it's a big motivating factor for him to want to see a real winner at some point before the Stanton opt out date, and I wouldn't be shocked if Loria starts spending relatively big to do it. It won't be the poorly planned 2012 splurge that we saw, but rather a gradual increase in payroll that the team should've worked with years ago.

 

I'm not going to defend Loria or his previous track record, but I do believe that at this point in time he isn't afraid to spend. I think the team should do the smart thing and lock down there current talent (which they are apparently trying to do, so good work), but knowing the manner in which Loria works when he really wants to win I wouldn't be shocked in the least if he throws out an outlandish contract to one of the top free agent hitters.

 

 

Well the deal will be backloaded no doubt. And with the new TV deal means more $$$$ in the pocket of Loria. Basically it could be a small sign that if the team intends to re-sign him under the circumstances he opts out, they'd have the needed funds to sign him to an even bigger deal because of the new money from the TV deal.

 

Also not to be insensitive but by the time the opt out comes into question Jeffery Loria will be 80 years old. We all know that the two major things Jeffery Loria is known for is being #1 being generally cheap and #2 being incredibly competitive. With Loria getting up there in years, I'm sure it's a big motivating factor for him to want to see a real winner at some point before the Stanton opt out date, and I wouldn't be shocked if Loria starts spending relatively big to do it. It won't be the poorly planned 2012 splurge that we saw, but rather a gradual increase in payroll that the team should've worked with years ago.

 

I'm not going to defend Loria or his previous track record, but I do believe that at this point in time he isn't afraid to spend. I think the team should do the smart thing and lock down there current talent (which they are apparently trying to do, so good work), but knowing the manner in which Loria works when he really wants to win I wouldn't be shocked in the least if he throws out an outlandish contract to one of the top free agent hitters.

 

 

I WAS WONDERING WHERE YOU WENT ...

 

Just kidding. Nice post and I hope you're right.

 

 

Before it will be officially announced by Loria and FO, I will stay calm.

 

But I'm very proud of Stanton.

 

 

We need some fucking infielders and ASAP

 

 

I would see if the Cubs would take Heaney, Cishek, and 2-3 other 2nd tier guys and RP prospects (Urena, DeScalfani, Williams, Suggs, etc)., and get Starlin Castro, Luis Valbuena, and Dan Vogelbach. Castro is signed for years reasonably, Valbuena is a rock solid 2 WAR player, can start against all right handers at 2B or 3B (look at the 2014 splits), and can probably sign him easy on a 2 year deal (he has final arb this year and won't be killer). Vogelbach could be a 1B bat in a year or two. All expendable in Chicago and they get a super pitching prospect and closer. Heaney is worth it to get Castro. The rest is whatever.

 

Would be a $65 million 2015 payroll (assuming Stanton is at least in $12-15 range and they keep Eovaldi, Dunn, and Jones). Want to go crazy, sign a SP upgrade and put Hand or Koehler in the bullpen.

 

 

So many people have to eat crow. And I'm not talking about some of the people on this site, although some people on this site has to eat crow too. But I'm talking about the local media, the national media, and fans from other teams. It was just a done deal, Stanton wasn't going to sign. It wasn't an opinion, it was a done deal.

 

They have to eat crow, and they have to do it in a massively humble way.

 

 

Where did Loria say all of these wonderful things?

 

 

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article3984093.html

 

 

"I expect him to be a Marlin for 13 years. We are going to be surrounding him, we have already started to surround him, with all-star caliber players, and there will be more."

 

“We can afford it,’’ Loria said. "We are going to surround him with an improved lineup as well. We need another bat in this lineup that can help him out.’’

 

 

 

 

I just worry what this means for extending Fernandez in 1 or 2 years.

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.