November 18, 201411 yr speaking of the stadium, wonder if a fence adjustment might be in the plans? Possible but I'd imagine this news would have already leaked out by now if it got added into the deal.
November 18, 201411 yr I don't know what about $325 mil made you think Stanton changed his stance. The Marlins had to pay a huge contract to keep Stanton, and they did it. That's basically it. Knowing he was only two years from free agency and a hefty payday, I really think it was more than greed in play here for Stanton. He must believe there's a legit shot at a championship here for him to guarantee six years here instead of wait two more years for free agency. Point is, the money was coming regardless.
November 18, 201411 yr Just so everyone's clear, he will almost certainly opt-out when he can to get a new contract. This is more of a 5 year, $125 mil deal, despite the numbers. Unless his career falls off of a cliff he will opt out. But it gives him security in case something goes wrong. The insanely long commitment, with the favorable opt-out and the full NTC makes it clear that they are having to pay for their past demolitions of the team. He could have chosen to play anywhere, and he's putting his faith in Loria (for some reason) and giving them an opportunity to add to the team. I just hope they fulfill their end of this bargain.
November 18, 201411 yr I don't see him opting out. Come that 6th year, he'll have like 7 years 250 million left on the deal lol...he'll never see that much more money at 30.
November 18, 201411 yr 6 years I keep forgetting about this fantastic part. No opt out until after 6 years? Fucking Marlins... Genius.
November 18, 201411 yr Just so everyone's clear, he will almost certainly opt-out when he can to get a new contract. This is more of a 5 year, $125 mil deal, despite the numbers. Unless his career falls off of a cliff he will opt out. But it gives him security in case something goes wrong. The insanely long commitment, with the favorable opt-out and the full NTC makes it clear that they are having to pay for their past demolitions of the team. He could have chosen to play anywhere, and he's putting his faith in Loria (for some reason) and giving them an opportunity to add to the team. I just hope they fulfill their end of this bargain. 6 years...165 million...plus incentives for WS appearance(s). Signed, sealed, and delivered...like a chinese lunch.
November 18, 201411 yr Great day! So basically 6/140, with a 7/185 insurance policy for Stanton. We now have the rights to all our studs for the next 4-6 years. Now if we just add a 1B and 2B.
November 18, 201411 yr Knowing he was only two years from free agency and a hefty payday, I really think it was more than greed in play here for Stanton. He must believe there's a legit shot at a championship here for him to guarantee six years here instead of wait two more years for free agency. Point is, the money was coming regardless. He wasn't going to get a better deal than this two years from now. This is free agent money. The Marlins basically sucked his dick and enjoyed it. Remember that the last time he was on the field, he was hit by a fastball in the face. Aside from the fact that this is the richest contract in the history of the sport, getting hit like that only makes you want to sign it quicker. You can't pass up this kind of money.
November 18, 201411 yr WTF? This news is currently No. 1 on the BBC's Sports News section here in jolly old little England! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/baseball/30092995
November 18, 201411 yr WTF? This news is currently No. 1 on the BBC's Sports News section here in jolly old little England! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/baseball/30092995 Yep, I read that too.
November 18, 201411 yr Just something that chaps my ass... when putting a graphic on the screen describing a player or team or whatever, MLB Network shows a bar on the screen with two colors that correspond to said team's colors... anyone ever notice the Marlins are shown with a black and blue bar? Our use of blue is so limited, I really think a black and orange bar would look best. I don't get how they decided black with blue was the best representation of us. Anyone else irked by this little detail?
November 18, 201411 yr GUY WHO CARES WHETHER STANTON OPTS OUT OR NOT RIGHT NOW. WE HAVE HIM NO MATTER WHAT THROUGH 2020 YOU DINGBATS
November 18, 201411 yr Just something that chaps my ass... when putting a graphic on the screen describing a player or team or whatever, MLB Network shows a bar on the screen with two colors that correspond to said team's colors... anyone ever notice the Marlins are shown with a black and blue bar? Our use of blue is so limited, I really think a black and orange bar would look best. I don't get how they decided black with blue was the best representation of us. Anyone else irked by this little detail? I'd rather see orange and blue...
November 18, 201411 yr I'd rather see orange and blue... Itd be better than black and blue yes, but blue is such an accent for us, its only used as a trim and we don't have a blue jersey or cap. Our two main colors are black and red-orange. It doesn't matter but now that I've seen all this Stanton coverage that black and blue bar is more noticeable and more ridiculous to see.
November 18, 201411 yr Author Marlins have been slowly incorporating blue more in marketing I've noticed though so we may see a bit of a change down the road and then their coverage will end up accurate.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.