Dan Haren

The thing you guys don't get is he has made his decision. He said he is retiring or playing in southern cal. he isn't deliberating whether he is playing here or not.

Actually he's not saying that anymore He said his preference is to play in the West but he did not rule out pitching for the Marlins according to the Sun-Sentinel.

b797d342361df112fee0805ae041aedfa47b927b590a924aee877f92bc543721.jpg

Well I mean both can be true.

Haren is of course selfish, and whatever it's his right if he wants to play that game. Marlins also knew what they were getting into here, it wasn't a secret. I'd love for Haren to make up his mind too but if he wants to drag it out and try & pressure the Marlins to make a deal, it's not as if the Marlins were blindsided by this.

Heck if he's serious about possibly retiring then he's sure gonna be willing to hold out a long time to get what he wants.

then of course there's also the possibility that the Marlins just aren't too keen on the idea of trading him. I mean if I'm another team I might like Miami to include some of that $10 mil to pay for Haren that L.A. sent over with him.

If Haren values staying next to his family, he should have sought a NTC and taken less money for it. I don't like how he can just decide to not honor his part of the deal (playing). Could the Marlins just decide they don't want Haren to play for them and refuse to hold up their part of the deal (paying him)? This is bullshit.

I'm sure that it's written into any contract that the player has the right to retire and forfeit the money. The team would still own his rights of course (so he can't just go sign with another team).

Not that it makes it any less frustrating... just saying.

I highly doubt the Marlins could swing that (refusing to pay him).

If Haren values staying next to his family, he should have sought a NTC and taken less money for it. I don't like how he can just decide to not honor his part of the deal (playing).

Yea this. I don't get how a guy without a NTC and without that 10-5 rights can suddenly pressure his team into this corner. It just reeks of selfishness.

If Haren values staying next to his family, he should have sought a NTC and taken less money for it. I don't like how he can just decide to not honor his part of the deal (playing).

Yea this. I don't get how a guy without a NTC and without that 10-5 rights can suddenly pressure his team into this corner. It just reeks of selfishness.

It's exactly as Hotcorner said. His only leverage is that he can retire, and the Marlins likely don't care if he does. In fact they might even be betting on it. If he doesn't retire, he has no choice in the matter. Not that you want a cancer in your clubhouse, but Giancarlo was unhappy once upon a time...

I'm sure that it's written into any contract that the player has the right to retire and forfeit the money. The team would still own his rights of course (so he can't just go sign with another team).

No, I know the Marlins can't do that. I asked that rhetorically. I guess there could be a clause in a contract that specifically allows a player to retire as Haren is doing. If that's the case, Haren would just be exercising a right expressed on his agreement. It'd be factored into the money terms we have now and I'd have no problem with this.

What are you guys talking about he is holding us up? He has reiterated his position numerous times. He wants to play close to his family or he doesnt want to play. I don't see anything wrong with that considering he won't get payed if he doesnt play. The guy has been in baseball for so long at this point you can't really call a guy selfish for him wanting to stay close to his family. He isn't deliberating what to do, I don't get why you guys are saying that. He has already made up his mind and the marlins thought they could convince him for some reason which was stupid if they thought they could do this.

I don't have any problem with what haren is doing. Its not like he just straight up doesnt want to play here because he hates this franchise and is demanding a trade because of baseball reasons. The guy wants to spend time closer to his family and he made that position clear before he was even traded. Cant fault him or call him selfish because of that.

Not that I've ever heard anything about Haren being a bad clubhouse guy but I think his head would be chopped off in public if a trade wasn't worked out and then he agreed to play but then became an ass in the clubhouse. I'd like to think that if push comes to shove and he agrees to pitch for us that he is professional enough to not be a problem after that.

No, I know the Marlins can't do that. I asked that rhetorically. I guess there could be a clause in a contract that specifically allows a player to retire as Haren is doing. If that's the case, Haren would just be exercising a right expressed on his agreement. It'd be factored into the money terms we have now and I'd have no problem with this.

Contracts specify the terms and money that the contractee plays for if he doesnt play. It doesnt guarantee that they will play. Every player has the right to retire and forfeit the money in their contract that they are due. You would like the players to fulfill their contract but a contract does not force the player to play.

Contracts specify the terms and money that the contractee plays for if he doesnt play. It doesnt guarantee that they will play. Every player has the right to retire and forfeit the money in their contract that they are due. You would like the players to fulfill their contract but a contract does not force the player to play.

Is this a fact or just something you're assuming?

What are you guys talking about he is holding us up? He has reiterated his position numerous times. He wants to play close to his family or he doesnt want to play. I don't see anything wrong with that considering he won't get payed if he doesnt play. The guy has been in baseball for so long at this point you can't really call a guy selfish for him wanting to stay close to his family. He isn't deliberating what to do, I don't get why you guys are saying that. He has already made up his mind and the marlins thought they could convince him for some reason which was stupid if they thought they could do this.

I don't have any problem with what haren is doing. Its not like he just straight up doesnt want to play here because he hates this franchise and is demanding a trade because of baseball reasons. The guy wants to spend time closer to his family and he made that position clear before he was even traded. Cant fault him or call him selfish because of that.

Before the trade their were rumors that he would only play for a west coast team. After the trade their were articles stating that Haren would consider his options. That's where we were getting the deliberating his options thing from.

Point is, if he is going to retire then he needs to go ahead and retire. There has been no public indication that this has happened.

I mean its a fact that a player can retire at any time. They just wouldn't be owed their money. That is a fact, yes.

Before the trade their were rumors that he would only play for a west coast team. After the trade their were articles stating that Haren would consider his options. That's where we were getting the deliberating his options thing from.

Point is, if he is going to retire then he needs to go ahead and retire. There has been no public indication that this has happened.

I think he has told the marlins he isn't going to play here. Everyone reported after the trade that was the case and that he was only gonna play in southern cal. I think the wait is on the marlins trying to find a trade partner.

Apparently, he forgets the ricky Williams or mike Vick or aaron hernandez situations where they go after money paid out for years not played.

According to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro, the Marlins are working to trade Dan Haren to a West Coast team.

The 34-year-old right-hander said earlier this winter that he wouldn't pitch for a team based outside of Southern California, yet the Marlins still moved to acquire him from the Dodgers. Frisaro writes Monday that "there is a market for Haren, and the Marlins will do their best to work out a deal that accommodates both parties." Haren has threatened to retire if he's not traded out of Miami. He is due $10 million in 2015, which the Dodgers are covering.

Rotoworld blurb

---

Good