Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What would it take for you not to be a fan of this team anymore?

Featured Replies

Let me begin with saying that this is a rant with a question attached so if you want to ignore this, I don't care, I need to get this out after going to the game tonight to watch this garbage. 

 

I want to start by saying I am and always have been just about as big of a Marlins fan that is out there.  I'm only 21 years old so my Marlins memory actually begins in the early 2000's but I was there technically for every playoff game in '97.  I went to so many games in that old stadium and cared so much for this team.  I was there for so many key game in 2003.  I went to every playoff game that year too. I distinctly remember not only being there but which seat I was in for Jose Cruz dropping that fly ball in the division series.  I remember watching Conine throw out the runner at the plate to walk off the series and I remember Cabrera's homer in the World Series and I remember the distinctive clang that came with Alex Gonzalez's walk off homer even though I couldn't actually see it because I was high up in left field and Pro Player is not built for fans to watch baseball enjoyably. I remember where I was when I saw on ESPNEWS that we signed Delgado and when we traded the entire team in 2006 and then Cabrera and now this core.  

 

And since the last time the Marlins threw a pitch in the playoffs in Game 6 in 2003, I think they have overwhelmingly been a negative experience from a fan perspective.  Jeffrey Loria and his various front offices have completely succeeded in making me wish that I wasn't a fan of this fucking team.  It got to the point tonight where I was at the game when I was thinking why do I support this team as a fan of the game of baseball.  The owner is a complete lunatic who still somehow doesnt understand that he needs to just stop interfering in the day to day operations of the baseball team.  The front office does not use saber metrics much at all and as a modern baseball fan that drives me bat shit crazy. And not to mention the owner on top of interfering all the time doesn't spend any money to make his team better.  I supported them when they were in Sun Life because they really just needed a new stadium so they could actually receive some of that revenue, the stadium deal was horrendous.  So the fact that we are yet again back to Jeffrey Loria still not spending money even in a new stadium also drives me insane.

 

And with all of that said I will still tune in tomorrow at 7:10 and watch the game and care about the outcome.  I absolutely hate that I love this team.  And because of that I ask what would have to happen for you not to be a fan of this Marlins team anymore.  Obviously if something like a huge organization crime happens then maybe but i'm talking continued losing.  At this point we are in our 12th year not making the playoffs in a row.  Even with how poorly and seemingly inept this team is run we don't even luck into one wild card game or something.  So how many more losing seasons and embarrassing franchise moments would it take for you to say, "fuck the Marlins," because i'm genuinely curious to see especially fanatics who post on a message board and how much more they would be willing to take.

 

 

 So the fact that we are yet again back to Jeffrey Loria still not spending money even in a new stadium also drives me insane.

 

​Huh?  He spent more than any other owner in sports this off-season.

 

Also, money doesn't buy championships.

 

 

3rd longest playoff drought in MLB

 

You're dead right about it being very frustrating to be a fan

 

The fact that Deitrich is rotting in the minors sometimes makes me want to buy a Dodgers hat

 

I'm really not sure why I still watch the Marlins and plead their case to anyone who will listen

 

but I do

 

 

Hey man it's what us South Florida sports fans have to deal with. Thankfully we've got the Heat to give us some sort of joy, but sometimes that doesn't even work out. And now with the fins and extending that garbage QB for almost $100 mil, that'll be another disappointment. But ya Just gotta stick with it and hope for the fluke seasons. I will never stop cheering and rooting for our SoFla teams.

 

 

3rd longest playoff drought in MLB

 

You're dead right about it being very frustrating to be a fan

 

The fact that Deitrich is rotting in the minors sometimes makes me want to buy a Dodgers hat

 

I'm really not sure why I still watch the Marlins and plead their case to anyone who will listen

 

but I do

 

Huh? You do know Dietrich has been one of the Zephyrs worst offensive players this year right? He could be on the verge of going to AA.

 

That said I am 27 and have a same history with this team as OP. I guess the passionate fan in me has just become eroded and used to mediocrity. When something shitty happens I get pissed off but it goes away fairly quickly. Sad how we as marlins fans have just adapted to sucking.

 

 

I have been a Marlins fan since the '92 Expansion Draft... I grew up 5 minutes near Reading Phillies AA stadium so as a child I was a Phillies fan by default but I never felt like I wanted to be a diehard fan.  So I latched on to the Oakland A's during the McGwire/Canseco late 80's mini-dynasty.  I decided that if baseball expanded I would pick an expansion team and follow them from Day 1 and be there for everything that happens.  I must say that after all this time, the 13 years of Loria fucking this franchise up has really tried my patience, but I am still here. It really baffles me how he has been allowed to hold on to this property for as long as he has given what Montreal went through. Hopefully, Loria sells before I kick the bucket and I get to actually see this team run right.  Until Loria goes, my expectations will remain low.

 

 

I may have periods of time where I'll stop watching the team, but I'll never stop being a fan, truly.

 

It really, really sucks how much we've had to endure since 2003, though. Two firesales, no playoffs, inconsistency year in and year out, the same garbage over and over again, trying the same thing over and over to see it not work and yet, nothing is being done to change the approach. I feel like the Marlins as a franchise is like the little kid that never learns to not touch the stove while it's hot. He keeps getting hurt when his finger makes contact with the surface, and crying about it because it's painful, but still, he does the same thing for some odd reason, expecting a different result [you know, insanity].

 

We fix one thing, neglect another. That other portion dwindles and collapses, and as a result, we end up missing the playoffs just for that particular part of the game. The next year, we fix that neglected piece, only to ruin another portion of the team, and the same thing happens. Throughout it all, we still find ways to strand runners in scoring position and at incredibly high rates. That is the biggest constant every year, hitting with runners in scoring position. A new hitting coach has never worked. A new manager has never worked. We are now on our sixth manager since Giancarlo debuted. That's not even a full five years. Nothing has worked.

 

We try to bring in guys from other farm systems via trades and get them to the big leagues so they can help us out. That hasn't worked much. We try signing or trading for veteran players with experience rather than wait for minor league talent. That hasn't worked. Don't even get me started on our developmental system, it seems nonexistent. Only a small portion of our Major League roster is home grown. You can say the draft is a crap shoot, but for how many years in a row now has it been a "crap shoot" and we've just had absolutely no luck? At what point do we look at our development guys and say, "the fuck is wrong with you? When will one of these guys become Major League players?" [Please don't nitpick this one and say "but but but Stanton or Yelich", those guys were destined for the Major Leagues the moment they signed a contract after being drafted]

 

As I said ... I'll never stop being a fan, but it really is difficult. So, for now ... I'm going to go touch that hot stove over there and see what happens this time.

 

 

At least you guys have seen us be successful. I started watching baseball and the Marlins in 2006 so have never seen us in a playoff game...

 

 

At least you guys have seen us be successful. I started watching baseball and the Marlins in 2006 so have never seen us in a playoff game...

 

​Me too, although my first game was in 2007.

 

I love baseball, but only really to follow the Marlins. I follow the game, but have (I think) only ever watched one game not involving the Marlins (last game of the WS last year).

 

This team still has the potential to be a very good team. I have no idea why it is not hitting at least .500.

 

 

Come on guys.  It's baseball.  The best part about baseball is that tomorrow is another day.  This is nothing that an 8 game winning streak won't cure!  LOL  

 

BTW I heard the Marlins are having a new promotion this weekend.  They are going to be passing out suicide kits to the first 5 K thousand (all of them) fans.  It will include a razor blade, some arsenic, and a pocket knife.  :p

 

 

Not happening. Just waiting on Loria to go. It might now happen but even if not, I'm still a fan of this team.

 

 

I'll stick with them through the bad as well as the good.

 

We still get to watch a lot of good players, even in losses. It's frustrating, yes, but that's baseball.

 

I almost think it wouldn't be as enjoyable if they won every night. Ok, maybe it would, lol.

 

This OP really shows the fair weather attitude that results in empty seats. Fans here only want to watch and support a winner. A week or so of shitty results is enough to make you jump ship? Really? Oh, I know you'll say "no, it's year after year of this shit" but just a couple weeks ago the team was hot and everybody was on board.

 

Suck it up and hope for a win the next game. Enjoy the game, the process, the hope. Enjoy getting to see some of the best talent in the game. The wins will come. If they don't, so be it. I'll still be watching and rooting and hoping. Every night is a new beginning.

 

Let's go Fish!!

 

 

I have been a Marlins fan since the '92 Expansion Draft... I grew up 5 minutes near Reading Phillies AA stadium so as a child I was a Phillies fan by default but I never felt like I wanted to be a diehard fan.  So I latched on to the Oakland A's during the McGwire/Canseco late 80's mini-dynasty.  I decided that if baseball expanded I would pick an expansion team and follow them from Day 1 and be there for everything that happens.  I must say that after all this time, the 13 years of Loria fucking this franchise up has really tried my patience, but I am still here. It really baffles me how he has been allowed to hold on to this property for as long as he has given what Montreal went through. Hopefully, Loria sells before I kick the bucket and I get to actually see this team run right.  Until Loria goes, my expectations will remain low.

 

Unlike Montreal this team has stability in the city and is going nowhere even if it had twenty losing seasons in a row. Huge difference between us and Montreal. Loria can't be forced out for poor on field decisions. He got us a ballpark, this is way past being anything like Montreal.

 

 

​Me too, although my first game was in 2007.

 

I love baseball, but only really to follow the Marlins. I follow the game, but have (I think) only ever watched one game not involving the Marlins (last game of the WS last year).

 

This team still has the potential to be a very good team. I have no idea why it is not hitting at least .500.

 

​I agree - find it difficult to watch games involving other teams however in the other team sports I watch (being football and the NFL) I very much enjoy watching any game regardless of the teams involved.

 

 

Die Hard fan from the get go. Been at the crucial games and seen all the fire sales happen. Did they suck? Yes! But I always looked ahead. This season has been frustrating but I thought the 2012 was more frustrating to watch honestly.

 

The only that would really suck is if they moved the Marlins out of Florida that is it. I am sticking with them until death like mentioned before.

 

 

  • Author
I'll stick with them through the bad as well as the good.

 

We still get to watch a lot of good players, even in losses. It's frustrating, yes, but that's baseball.

 

I almost think it wouldn't be as enjoyable if they won every night. Ok, maybe it would, lol.

 

This OP really shows the fair weather attitude that results in empty seats. Fans here only want to watch and support a winner. A week or so of shitty results is enough to make you jump ship? Really? Oh, I know you'll say "no, it's year after year of this shit" but just a couple weeks ago the team was hot and everybody was on board.

 

Suck it up and hope for a win the next game. Enjoy the game, the process, the hope. Enjoy getting to see some of the best talent in the game. The wins will come. If they don't, so be it. I'll still be watching and rooting and hoping. Every night is a new beginning.

 

Let's go Fish!!

 

​I show the fair weather attitude?  It isn't a week or 2 of losing.  Trust me as a Marlins fan I've seen a bunch of week or 2's of losing.  Its the losing combined with the complete ineptitude in running the organization and the lack of forward thinking and commitment in building a winner. i've been a die hard fan my entire life.  Sorry that its incredibly frustrating watching a moron ruin your team by interfering every single year whether it is firing managers or telling the front office to sign Buck, Salty, Bell.  We are so poorly run purely from a baseball point of view on top of the fact that everything we do publicly always manages to make us look like a joke.  

 

We don't develop our own players like a small market team should.  We don't spend money like a normal MLB team does.  For whoever said earlier that we spent a lot this offseason, we are still dead last in the majors in payroll.  Thats absolutely pathetic after we were told the new stadium would give us a consistently larger payroll.  When constructing the team we are still relying on the scouts eye rather than saber metrics and the way we play in games reflects that with the bunting and steals.  We are just a joke of an organization that runs itself as if it were still in the information age of 1980.  Ill always be a fan but don't call me fair weather for being just about done supporting this joke of a franchise while this clown is the owner.

 

This team is just the epitome of a poorly run organization from top to bottom and after 21 years I think I have every right not to want to support them.

 

 

  • Author

Also from an on the field stand point I think its pretty clear that this team is never gonnaa win anything if Stanton is their best player by this big of a margin.  Obviously you can win with him as your best player but he is way to inconsistent as a hitter for a team to make a deep run with him as their best guy by this much.  You can not count on the guy to even make contact in a pressure situation.

 

He's closer to a guy like Richie Sexson than he is Miguel Cabrera IMO.  He can not strike out this much and not make contact so often.  And if he is gonna do that our 2nd best player can't be Yelich.  I understand he is much better than what he has shown but even then he can't be your 2nd best hitter.  We need a number 3 hitter who can be our Ryan Braun to our Prince Fielder if that makes sense.  Someone consistent who might not hit for as many hr's as fielder, but will be more consistent with putting the ball in play.

 

Obviously Fielder doesn't strike out as much as Stanton I was just making the comparison of it taking multiple guys and especially taking multiple guys when your best player is so poor at making contact.  The best teams in the league have lineups that are so much more reliable than ours its ridiculous.  Not only that but when I watch a team like the cardinals for example its amazing how much more professional their ab's are, it seems like our guys rush to get their at bats over while every single one of their players works the count.  I'm just sick of the way this team is put together year in and year out that is like we are still stuck with the same information we had in 1980.  It makes being a fan and rooting for a team not fun.

 

 

We don't develop our own players like a small market team should.

 

Forgive me, but I can't remember the trades that got us Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Fernandez, Heaney, Cishek, Ramos, Koehler, Realmuto and Dyson. And Brad Hand.

 

 

  • Author
Unlike Montreal this team has stability in the city and is going nowhere even if it had twenty losing seasons in a row. Huge difference between us and Montreal. Loria can't be forced out for poor on field decisions. He got us a ballpark, this is way past being anything like Montreal.

 

​Somebody needs to bait him into a racist comment so we can go Donald Sterling on his ass.  Nothing would make me happier.

 

Another thing that pisses me off is the story that Manny Navarro said on 790 yesterday.  After Jennings press conference after his first game all the media and Jennings left the press room all the media heard Jennings talking to Loria and say "sorry couldn't get the job done today."   And Loria responds with something to the effect of "don't worry, i agreed with every move you made and its the first time in a long time that i could say that."   That boggles my mind.  Not only did you give Redmond an extension at the end of last year, but he fired him and pretty much hired the guy who is his right hand guy.  Changing managers was completely Loria yet again.  I would die that happiest guy in the world if Micky Arison were able to buy the Marlins.  Or Mark Cuban.  

 

 

  • Author
​His baseball men made the DJ decision, he stayed out of it like most people wanted.  All he did was sign off on it.

 

​No he didn't.  You can't hear that story and believe that.  He looked for a manager that does everything the way he would want.  And with Loria's track record we should be looking for just about the complete opposite of that.

 

 

​No he didn't.  You can't hear that story and believe that.  He looked for a manager that does everything the way he would want.  And with Loria's track record we should be looking for just about the complete opposite of that.

 

​I believe it. It's just that Loria's 'baseball people' are just as dumb as he is.

 

 

​No he didn't.  You can't hear that story and believe that.  He looked for a manager that does everything the way he would want.  And with Loria's track record we should be looking for just about the complete opposite of that.

 

​I am not basing it on the press conference answers or stories, I know it for a fact.

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.