Trade One, DFA One, Extend One, Acquire One

Just for fun heading towards the offseason, I'm sure most have heard of the "F*** one, kill one, marry one" game. From the Marlins entire roster, plus one player from any other organization, let's see who you all choose for this list...

Trade One: Who would you try to flip to another team to acquire something in return for?

DFA One: Who would you outright release?

Extend One: Who would you give a contract extension to?

Acquire One: Doesn't matter if it's through free agency, trade, or any other means, what outside player would you attempt to acquire?

One choice for each... Go!

(FYI this is probably how DJ got his job here)

Guest Vince0926
Trade:   Bour  (probably get something decent for him now)

DFA: Jeff Mathis

Extend: Dee Gordon

Acquire: Zimmer

zimmer died last june bro.

Trade-Ozuna for pitching.

DFA- Casey McGehee

Extend- Jose Fernandez

Acquire-Cespedes to replace Ozuna.

I'd also realistically try to sign John Lackey who just came off a super strong season with over 200 Innings pitched. I'd also check the market on Zimmerman, BUT my main pitching target would be Lackey.

Trade: A.J Ramos

DFA: Jeff Mathis

Extend: Marcell Ozuna

Acquire: Jordan Zimmermann

I'll explain each one quickly. Ramos is easy in that he's coming off a career year, relievers are highly volatile (as we've seen many times), and while I am a fan of Ramos and have been since he was pitching in the minors, he is replaceable. I think that most of us agree that if he can stay healthy, Capps would be able to take over and succeed in a closer role if called upon. Plus Ramos is 29 and begins the arbitration process next season, meaning a decent pay upgrade. He's proven highly consistent during his Marlins tenure, but we've learned from Cishek that you hold onto a player like that too long and suddenly you're forced (or at least the Marlins felt like they were) to sell low on a top tier closer.

Jeff Mathis is obvious. He had 14 hits last season. For reference, Bryce Harper had 14 hits in a seven game stretch this season. Mathis does have plus defense, but the only reason I can imagine him needing to be held onto is that old "veteran presence" stuff and the fact that Jose pitches well with him behind the plate, although I think Jose would pitch well with his grandmother back there.

Marcell Ozuna is an interesting pick in that the consensus seems to be that he is going to be traded this offseason. He started off horribly, missed a team practice and got sent down to the minors. That seems to be what many people, including Jeffrey Loria, seem to think about his season. His agent is Scott Boras, making it damn near impossible to negotiate a reasonable contract with Ozuna, and to top it all off Ozuna has started to build a reputation for some laziness and poor attitude.

However, Ozuna has been performing very well since being sent down to the minors. He was hitting down in AAA, and he's posted an OPS of .852 in the month of September with the major league squad. Given the now tense relationship between Ozuna and the Marlins, there is very very very little chance that an extension would even be considered at this point. If the Marlins even went up to him offering an extension, he and Boras would likely slam the door in Loria's face. However, if there was ever a time to cash in on Ozuna, it is now. His performance this year is likely not indicative of future performance. He's still just 24 years old, coming off a poor year in the majors. If you could somehow convince him to take a long term deal and secure him and his family financially, you'd be able to get him for a really nice discount compared to what we would've needed to offer last offseason.

Jordan Zimmermann is the obvious guy to go after in my opinion. This is his worst year since his rookie year with the Nats in 2010. However, he's still put up a 3.66 ERA with 200+ IP. His numbers have been hindered by a high number of HR's this year. However, his peripherals his entire career have been incredibly consistent, meaning that we're very likely to get the pitcher we signed up to get. Outside of maybe possible injury, I don't see a Zimmermann signing turning out completely sour. He reminds me a lot of what we had when we signed Mark Buehrle. You're going to get 200 innings, an ERA no higher than the mid 3's, and somebody who will be there for you the entire season. In my eyes, Zimmermann is the safest best to succeed for the most reasonable price in this offseason's pitching class. I don't think the question should be about if we should go after him. I think we have to and we will. The question is whether Loria will be willing to fight in a bidding war for a guy who isn't all that marketable and likely doesn't have potential to be an ace like his 2014 season might suggest. He is a solid #2 (very good #3 on a playoff team), which is perfect for hat this team needs right now. If takes 6/7 years and $80-100 million+ to get him, you have to do it. He's proven himself consistent and should be able to perform the way he has as he moves up in age.

Trade: Tom Koehler (is he even worth anything still)?DFA: SolanoExtend: Torn b/t Dee Gordon, and I can't believe I'm saying this, Adeiny (Jose still an unknown with the arm as much as I adore him with all my heart).Acquire: Cueto unless we're talking through a trade then one of those youngish cleveland hard throwing SPs

Trade: Tom Koehler (is he even worth anything still)?DFA: SolanoExtend: Torn b/t Dee Gordon, and I can't believe I'm saying this, Adeiny (Jose still an unknown with the arm as much as I adore him with all my heart).Acquire: Cueto unless we're talking through a trade then one of those youngish cleveland hard throwing SPs

Koehler is worth a minimal upside A ball prospect like a Barraclough.

Don't bother DFA'ing Solano, he'll clear waivers (even if exposed to Little League teams) and be right back in the organization's plans.

Extend both middle infielders, I can't believe I'm saying it either. And yeah, wait on Jose just in case.

No Cueto. I'd wager a decent bit that he's on an operating table sometime in the next two years.

Guest Vince0926
Man, I really hope our position players can stay relatively healthy for 2016 because we actually look to be in good shape at every position. Just need a platoon at 1B. 

we say this every october fifth-ish.

paging @Wild Card

Actually Canha was much better against RHP. But yes, it would have been pretty great if we didn't just hand a talented hitter over to another franchise for literally nothing for literally no reason.

A nice platoon option with Bour would have been another guy we let go for absolutely nothing... Kyle Jensen. Another big year against LHP, an .879 OPS against lefties in triple-A this year. It would be so great if we didn't just let players go for nothing, especially when we have absolutely no depth within the organization.

Trade: Hechavarria

DFA: Players worth DFA'ing are so bad they'll probably end up back in our minor league system anyway

Extend: Nobody, really. If I had to pick one guy, it's Jose. But I'd probably wait to see if he can stay healthy for a full season.

Acquire: Chapman