Hendo non-tendo'd

Looks like Hendo is signing with the A's for $4 million with incentives that can take it to $5.8.  This really infuriates me.  Oakland can afford him but we can't?  I hate this FO!

It's pretty pathetic. Alvarez must be thrilled because he may make MORE money than arbitration. What a world Loria lives in

this still begs the question, who is starting for us & why haven't we signed anyone in FA ? 

There are still 5-10 SP left they can get. They really need to grab one of the better ones (Chen, Kennedy, Kazmir, I guess Gallardo, etc.), and then sign a reclamation project like Gavin Floyd and see how that works out as competition for Nicolino.

I wouldn't criticize them just yet, but if they don't do anything, this is a 90+ loss team with how bad the rotation is right now.

Actually,

Marlins should go all in on Maeda.  Use Ichiro to help sell him.

Pay the 20 mil posting fee, then pay him some cash to sign up, whatever it takes to sign the player.  Lord knows they have plenty of payroll space.

And then sign one more free agent pitcher.

I like the unknown of Maeda miles more than any of the other crap remaining.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes but they aren't meeting the demands for either so far.

Well in fairness, nobody is meeting whatever it is they are demanding at this point or they'd be signed.  

The problem is that it seems like everyone has taken the strategy of waiting out the market.  Which isn't a bad strategy, but I can't imagine a good spot for the Marlins to be in.  They're going to need to out-bid teams for free agents to get them to come here...being aggressive on whoever it is they are targeting may be their best bet.   Given their track record with free agents, they will likely have to give out the most money or years just to get in the conversation anyway.  

I wonder what Kennedy is asking for, I haven't heard a thing about his market. 

Kennedy was a negative WAR player in a pitcher friendly park last year. Only gave 168 IP in 30 starts last year. Koehler was a more valuable player for us than Kennedy was for the Padres. Three of the last four seasons Kennedy has been a bad, #5 or worse caliber starter, and that one good season in 2014 was similar in numbers to what Dan Haren gave us last year. There is absolutely no way I want to spend any money on Kennedy at all.

The last slightly intriguing player left on the market in my eyes is Wei-Yin Chen, and even he's coming off a career year where he'll get more money than he likely deserves.

The truth of the matter is the Marlins got cheap (like they usually do), waited to find a player who would take an offer at or below their value, and are now left with their dick in their hands with nothing left in the market. They screwed themselves over and are now left with nothing but the team we had last season minus even more pitchers.

Fans better start praying now that guys like Conley and Urena shatter expectations next season or blah blah 70 win team.

Kennedy was a negative WAR player in a pitcher friendly park last year. Only gave 168 IP in 30 starts last year. Koehler was a more valuable player for us than Kennedy was for the Padres. Three of the last four seasons Kennedy has been a bad, #5 or worse caliber starter, and that one good season in 2014 was similar in numbers to what Dan Haren gave us last year. There is absolutely no way I want to spend any money on Kennedy at all.

The last slightly intriguing player left on the market in my eyes is Wei-Yin Chen, and even he's coming off a career year where he'll get more money than he likely deserves.

The truth of the matter is the Marlins got cheap (like they usually do), waited to find a player who would take an offer at or below their value, and are now left with their dick in their hands with nothing left in the market. They screwed themselves over and are now left with nothing but the team we had last season minus even more pitchers.

Fans better start praying now that guys like Conley and Urena shatter expectations next season or blah blah 70 win team.

i disagree with you on Kennedy (agree on everything else). He had an absolutely terrible April/May (like 7 era off 12 hr!) coming off an injury and came back to 2014 form in April (important here are his velocity charts by game). He also dealt with some pretty shitty padres defense all around (esp in OF and he's a FB pitcher). He definitely gives up too many HR and that's really his big flaw. I think he'll be a great fit in marlins park with this defense and i see no reason why he wouldn't be able to replicate 2014 here.  I'd absolutely pull the trigger on 4/52 (mlb trade rumors prediction) on him. But he is also a boras client so I don't see this happening either way

The fact we haven't gone all in on Gallardo is beyond me.

The fact that we haven't gone all in on anyone is kinda the most frustrating thing. Between no offer to Lackey and the word that we offered basically nothing for Chapman, it just feels like the front office doesn't really wanna get anyone.

We've made more serious pushes for coaches and returning players than we have for any players that will actually help this team improve.