Martin Prado Signs 3-Year Extension

Conley's numbers this season were on par with a low end #3. Obviously the inning count isn't what it should be, but he's one of the few consistent pitchers we had. In 12 of his 25 starts, Conley went 5 innings+ and allowed 2 or less ER. The biggest reason why he's still likely a #4 rather and than a full fledged #3 is the pitch count issue. Far too often his starts go under 5 IP and create stress on the bullpen. 

I love the consistency with his stuff, but the ability to work fast is an issue. 133 IP when working just about the full season isn't close to good enough. 

But if I'm not going to judge him super critically, Conley is one of the biggest reasons the Marlins are around .500 this year. The rotation was a mess with Jose, and after Chen fell apart there were huge problems that would ruin most teams. Conley being a consistently above average pitcher all year helped provide some stability to the rotation that we needed. 

I'm still on board with trading Koehler. He's the definition of consistently inconsistent.  

He is a solid enough #5

I don't think that's good enough. Starting pitching in the National League East especially is so good that having pitchers like Koehler in the rotation long term has been a liability. Sure he's been an acceptable #5 (incredibly given his HR and walk totals) but I think it's time for the front office to start to strive for more than just that.

I don't think that's good enough. Starting pitching in the National League East especially is so good that having pitchers like Koehler in the rotation long term has been a liability. Sure he's been an acceptable #5 (incredibly given his HR and walk totals) but I think it's time for the front office to start to strive for more than just that.

How many teams have a better #5 pitcher?

How many teams have a better #5 pitcher?

Astros (Brad Peacock)

Blue Jays (Francisco Liriano)

Brewers (Matt Garza)

Cardinals (Jaime Garcia)

Cubs (Jason Hammel)

Dodgers (Julio Urias)

Indians (Carlos Carrasco/Danny Salazar)

Mariners (Ariel Miranda)

Mets (Steve Matz)

Nationals (Joe Ross)

Phillies (Alec Asher/look at miilb stats)

Rays (Alex Cobb/this year notwithstanding)

Red Sox (Eduardo Rodriguez)

Reds (Tim Adelman)

Royals (Jason Vargas/injured recently)

Tigers (Daniel Norris)

White Sox (Miguel Gonzalez)

On this list, I'd say there are 11 guaranteed better #5 starters than Koehler (Peacock, Liriano, Garcia, Hammel, Urias, Carrasco, Matz, Ross, Cobb, Rodriguez, Norris). The others are open for some discussion.

I'll say the fact he's been in the rotation for over three years works in Koehler's favor. He is valuable and an acceptable #5. I do however think we could find better and that he is one of the few pieces we have that should be used as trade bait.

On this list, I'd say there are 11 guaranteed better #5 starters than Koehler (Peacock, Liriano, Garcia, Hammel, Urias, Carrasco, Matz, Ross, Cobb, Rodriguez, Norris). The others are open for some discussion.

Assuming you're right about 11 (don't have time to research), that still would mean 18 other teams have worse #5's. hardly seems to be one of the team's issues. Many other things to worry about instead. Problem is TK isn't being used as a #5, we need more arms so he's a #5.

Koehler has a lifetime 4.11 ERA, 4.32 FIP, allows less than a hit per inning, induces a decent amount of ground balls and eats innings. It would be nice if he could get the walks down, but otherwise, he is just fine for a No. 5 starter. Perfect, actually.

As crazy as it sounds, TK has actually become underappreciated around these parts, and it's due to the fact that--as many have already stated--he is being asked to do more than he is capable of.

If we miss out on the playoffs next year, it won't be because Koehler is our No. 5. It will be because he's our No. 3.