Marlins close out first half with 8th series win in last 12 tries

Admin

Sure.

But there is nothing about a 41-57 record that is worth feeling good about. Don't really care how they got there.

Started terribly, but showed improvement. 21-18 in last 39 is rather impressive for the first year of a rebuilding club. As is winning 2 out of every 3 series in the last 12 including those over good playoff bound clubs.

When expectations going into the year were 100-plus losses, it is easy to say they are exceeding expectations at least since the start of June.

Anyone who actually looked at the team on paper from a neutral perspective and not with clouded judgment due to the offseason trades saw what this team has been.  Not a good team by any stretch of the imagination but not a historically bad team either. 

More importantly and this might sound stupid if you dont think deeply about it, but i think we are closer to meaningful world series contention now than we were previously.   Not because we are any closer than 2 years away from contention, but because the team as previously constructed was mediocre as fuck, too expensive for the market, risky to keep stanton because this market cant handle a potential albatross pujols deal at the end, and because of Loria's decade of mismanagement we had no ability to make a quick meaningful overhaul to the farm system.

Now if JT decides he wants to re-sign i think we are a year away from being a .500 team and 2 years from being a playoff contender.

I think 100 lose depends on remaining Braves and Nats series. They were pulverizing Fish in this season. (2-5 against Braves; 1-6 against Nats)

Also depends on what we do at the deadline.  JT seems highly unlikely but im very interested to see how much we deal at the deadline.

Now if JT decides he wants to re-sign i think we are a year away from being a .500 team and 2 years from being a playoff contender.

I agree, but this post is too positive, so I have to suspend you for 24 hours. Sorry, man.

[not really]

I ... I'm not sure if this is positive or not.

It's called "positivity police." 

The Marlins can lose three rough games against the Nationals and we're supposed to consider it a big deal. 

But the Marlins can play relatively well for a 39 game stretch and we're supposed to act like it never happened. 

How fun. 

I like the way they are playing. Really battle the whole way and the early terrible start hurt them. Of course, they could easily be 4-5 games better when you think of some of those colossal meltdowns like the 9 run lead in Washington and the 5 run 9th inning lead in Atlanta. 

Unfortunate that Brinson is going to be out a while in light of his much better June. 

You guys are just deluding yourselves. What's the point of this thread? To say 'wow! They have really come together! This team is going to be good in a few years' when all of this really means nothing. All of our failed rebuilds have had stories like this.

You guys are just deluding yourselves. What's the point of this thread? To say 'wow! They have really come together! This team is going to be good in a few years' when all of this really means nothing. All of our failed rebuilds have had stories like this.

No it's just to mention that they've had a nice 39 game stretch. 

Nobody knows what this really means but its nice to point it out.

In my opinion, this, about a span of 39 games and 12 series does "mean more" than losing a span of 3 games though. Don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

Also depends on what we do at the deadline.  JT seems highly unlikely but im very interested to see how much we deal at the deadline.

Yeah, This post pretty clearly describes my sentiment. I honestly think we need to deal pieces at the deadline. If we just deal our relievers (one to the indians) I'm not sure we get that much worse. If we deal the relievers and Dietrich, I think there is a slight regression, but not too bad depending on how Cooper performs in the second half. If we deal any combination of the relievers, Dietrich, and Realmuto, I could see a significant slide in the second half.

Yeah, This post pretty clearly describes my sentiment. I honestly think we need to deal pieces at the deadline. If we just deal our relievers (one to the indians) I'm not sure we get that much worse. If we deal the relievers and Dietrich, I think there is a slight regression, but not too bad depending on how Cooper performs in the second half. If we deal any combination of the relievers, Dietrich, and Realmuto, I could see a significant slide in the second half.

I am not done after last off-season fire sale,but I would be done if they deal JT.....

I am not done after last off-season fire sale,but I would be done if they deal JT.....

Watch the game man. I just want to have a competitive team. I don't care who is on said competitive team. If the Yankees re-branded as the Miami Marlins, I'd cheer for the them. If we get a good offer, one that justifies the trade I say we do it. a top 5 prospect plus 1 top 50 and a top 100 guy, on top of a guy with a great pitch. yeah take it that is a lot of value. Even if Realmuto is mvp the next 2 seasons we should get more value from those players. Realmuto is a catcher that may or may not be here long term.