This team is going to be laughingly bad next year

Erick

The way most people felt about 2018 is the way I feel about 2019.

I really think the team next year is perfectly capable of losing 110+ games. It’s clearly worse than 2018 once Realmuto gets traded and we replace him with a guy who probably has no business catching in the big leagues (as was the case last year when Realmuto was injured). 

I also don’t see the front office making any notable free agent signings. It seems like they’re marketing Peter O’Brien as if he’s going to be the starting 1B (Lol).

At least the new uni’s and stadium design are better than before. And we’re going to get the #1 pick. #positives

I really think the team next year is perfectly capable of losing 110+ games. It’s clearly worse than 2018 once Realmuto gets traded and we replace him with a guy who probably has no business catching in the big leagues (as was the case last year when Realmuto was injured). 

I also don’t see the front office making any notable free agent signings. It seems like they’re marketing Peter O’Brien as if he’s going to be the starting 1B (Lol).

At least the new uni’s and stadium design are better than before. And we’re going to get the #1 pick. #positives

The Baltimore Orioles might have something to say about that #1 pick.

What’s the case for next year’s team being better than 2018 once Realmuto gets dealt? Not trying to be a Debbie downer, just wondering what the optimistic portion of the fanbase is thinking.

Gonna put a disclaimer saying I don't necessarily think this is gonna happen but I think the case is "if everyone is better than they were last year." 

The uni's are an improvement but still not what they should have been which was to bring back the originial uniforms, at least as an alternative jersey. Regardless, the team is still garbage and will remain so for the next few years. The hope is they fix the off the issues as those are just as bad, if not worse, than their on field issues. Remains to be seen. Looks like this team would a mess for the next few years until they figure things out.

Yep. Not going to pay for the MLB Extra Innings package this upcoming year either. They aren't worth watching, and as you said, could very well be worse this year than last years abysmal effort.

But the trade of JT…

Again. If they stayed with the team when Stanton, Yelich and others were traded, they aren't going anywhere. If/when JT is traded, you'll see a flood of people saying "that's it for me" but in reality, those people didn't go last year either. They just love to say this is it for me every time there's a trade. 

The rotation is going to be interesting.  If Pablo Lopez, Caleb Smith, and Trevor Richards can build on what they did last year, the rotation might be decent.  Also, hopefully Urena can build on his second half and Dan Straily can rebound to his 2017 form.  I'd like to see more of Alcantara also.  Then there's Chen.  Lol

The offense will be terrible.  Maybe Brinson will figure some things out and hopefully Anderson can deliver more pop but other than that it's not good.  J T probably will and should be moved.  Hopefully at some point Harrison, Diaz and Mesa will he ready to contribute.  

I think we should be in line for about the same type of season as last year.  Just shy of 100 loses.

What’s the case for next year’s team being better than 2018 once Realmuto gets dealt? Not trying to be a Debbie downer, just wondering what the optimistic portion of the fanbase is thinking.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you.  But I’ll take a shot at your question: what’s the argument that it won’t be a worse season?

first it’s hard to say right now because we’re so far away on roster construction.  But here’s the things that would have to go right

1. Lots of luck in the rotation

a. Urena pitches all year the way he did after the Acuna incident

b. Caleb Smith returns healthy and shows his best stuff all year 

c Chen figures out how to pitch on the road 

d. Straily Stays healthy 

e. Richards develops another pitch 

f. Lopez or Alcantara have a massive year 

2. Marlins find a coupl reliable arms to not screw up leads 

3. Brinson plays the way we all hoped 

4. Anderson builds on his rookie year 

5. Garrett Cooper plays the way Anderson did last year. 

6. Marlins sign a veteran catcher that plays all year (Wilson Ramos or the like)

7. Get another bat at first.  CJ Cron was DFAd.  Maybe he can play first 

thats a ton to ask.  If all those things happen then maybe we win 65-70 games 

edit: forgot about Mesa.  He plays and makes contributions.  

The team was going to be bad regardless. 90 loss bad or 110 loss bad, bad is bad.

I think anybody that understands the rebuild (or build) process can get past the loss # for a couple of years.  If you're a 90 loss team, you might as well be 110 - who cares.

If we're like the Mets, thinking we're competing for a WS, and end up a bottom dweller most of the season, that's a problem!  That's worth getting upset over.

I'm wondering how many fans the Astros lost during their five years rebuilding…

Astros also had local tv issues during that time period also.  I think they had formed some Houston centric network that went belly up.  

so fans were struggling to watch that shit team as well. Luckily they figured it out before they got good.  

I think the possibility is very realistic that the Marlins will be fielding the worst hitting lineup of all time. They most definitely will not be watchable.

With the assets they traded away last year one would have expected the Marlins to have been much further along in their rebuild then they are. But the poor souls got ravaged. I just think the continuing damage caused by their malfeasance will be long felt. This team is many years away from remotely fielding a competitive team. If you're going to trade away the pieces the Marlins traded away you better hit on (at least some of) these deals big time. And our next trade could very well be of a 2019 MVP in waiting.

For the forseeable future, I expect the theme and picture of this team to be of a franchise in smoldering ruins, a Pompeii on the MLB landscape. But at least we should be comfortable in the knowledge that Manfred and his ilk won't be bothered by that at all.