Future Marlins Offseason speculation thread

97marlin

Just randomly looking at defensive numbers with Baseball-Reference ... if all goes well, our 2020 starting outfield might not let a single ball drop out there.

Monte Harrison, Lewis Brinson, and Victor Victor Mesa, all three have Range Factor per 9 over 2.50. Lorenzo Cain, the highest rated defensive center fielder by Fangraphs in 2018, had 2.40. Just to give an idea.

If they can all hit decently, my goodness.

Yes, this would be great.

The best deal for Straily is around June or July, in my opinion. And blocking a pitcher doesn't seem so bad in another lost season. It would just be optioning someone down for two or three months. 

Yeah, this. They will learn plenty in AAA, too, while keeping another year of club control. I’m not saying to keep them down for no reason; rather, we don’t need to rush them to the bigs and also maybe take a worse trade for Straily at the same time.

As for Chen, I honestly would consider just cutting him.  The money is wasted at this point.  He has no trade value at all and even if he pitches half decent his trade value will be minimal regardless. We are eating this contract one way or the other.  Just bite the bullet and clear another path for the young arms.

We are paying him big money and it would be idiotic to just throw that away.  He showed last year that he has some value (at least in home starts).  You continue developing the young pitchers and use Chen to eat innings and (hopefully) get you some wins.  Now, if he is terrible then, yes, you consider cutting him.

Frisaro says the IFA money rolls over? 

I don't think that's true at all.

I would love for Conley to get his shit together and earn his starting job again

It'd be nice, but he did well in a relief role.  I'd keep him there so he knows his role, and hopefully becomes a Brad Hand/Andrew Miller type.

We are paying him big money and it would be idiotic to just throw that away.  He showed last year that he has some value (at least in home starts).  You continue developing the young pitchers and use Chen to eat innings and (hopefully) get you some wins.  Now, if he is terrible then, yes, you consider cutting him.

News Flash!  He's terrible.  We don't need an innings eater.  We need the young guys to use those innings to finish their development.  That's how I see it anyway.  The money is wasted already.  

Granderson I am not sure. He can still draw a walk and get OBP due to that but I still think the guy is done for. I predict more of DFA if anything lol.

Yeah I would really like  CarGo signing. Makes too much sense.

Thought the Opening Day line up prediction of Granderson in LF and Walker in RF was off. Is that really what it's looking like??