Ken Rosenthal reports Marlins tidbits

[MEDIA=twitter]1129886413862969344[/MEDIA]

In it, they say Mattingly is likely to stay through the season.  And that Hillman and Espada are names to watch.  I still would like to see Girardi back.

Interestingly, he seemed to indicate that Hill is on the hot seat too, and may be fired after the season.

Interestingly, he seemed to indicate that Hill is on the hot seat too, and may be fired after the season.

Until he finds new blackmail material.

If they plan to definitely change managers next season, I still don't understand the reason for waiting.

If they plan to definitely change managers next season, I still don't understand the reason for waiting.

Rosenthal said it, because they don't want to pay two managers at once. I know what you're saying but that may really be the sole reason. Also, has Mattingly really done that poorly considering the team he has? He hasn't really given a definitive reason to be fired and if he's still keeping the clubhouse together than he might be doing as well as he possibly can at this point.

As for Mike Hill, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go but at the same time it would be weirder with each passing day. How do you let a GM go two seasons into a rebuild and then replace him? If they were gonna dump Hill they should have done it on day one so the new GM can help develop the rebuild in his way. Like what if a new guy comes in and doesn't like what he sees and wants to shake things up in a way that clashes with what has already been put together? It's counter productive and could even set us back yet again. Just something to think about.

Rosenthal said it, because they don't want to pay two managers at once.

Cheap fucks. Getting a new guy in sooner makes sense to me if they are sure mattingly won’t be kept. Whether not resigning him is the right decision or not is debatable, but if he’s a goner I do not see an upside in keeping him the whole season.

Rosenthal said it, because they don't want to pay two managers at once. I know what you're saying but that may really be the sole reason. Also, has Mattingly really done that poorly considering the team he has? He hasn't really given a definitive reason to be fired and if he's still keeping the clubhouse together than he might be doing as well as he possibly can at this point.

As for Mike Hill, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go but at the same time it would be weirder with each passing day. How do you let a GM go two seasons into a rebuild and then replace him? If they were gonna dump Hill they should have done it on day one so the new GM can help develop the rebuild in his way. Like what if a new guy comes in and doesn't like what he sees and wants to shake things up in a way that clashes with what has already been put together? It's counter productive and could even set us back yet again. Just something to think about.

I have a hard time believing Mike Hill plays the role of a traditional GM. I don’t think he has as much say/final decision in transactions as he portrays. To me, he has always been the public face/muppet. I could be wrong 

I have a hard time believing Mike Hill plays the role of a traditional GM. I don’t think he has as much say/final decision in transactions as he portrays. To me, he has always been the public face/muppet. I could be wrong 

Even if that's the case, a new guy would come in with new ideas that might be counter productive to what they've done so far.

If a chef is making a soup with his chosen ingredients but then halfway through the cooking a new chef is brought in to finish the soup the way he wants with this ingredients then the final product might taste like shit. 

get your 'Stros soup shit outta here

My Astros didn't change their GM a couple of years into their rebuild is my point. The guy who started the process was able to complete the process.

They changed the GM before the rebuild, an even better idea. Just cause Jeter fucked up and kept Hill, doesn't mean he has to continue to fuck up.

They changed the GM before the rebuild, an even better idea. Just cause Jeter fucked up and kept Hill, doesn't mean he has to continue to fuck up.

Right, I agree, I said I have no problem with Hill leaving, I'm just bringing up the one challenge with changing the GM at this point. It's a different guy finishing a process started by someone else. They absolutely should have done what my Astros did and that's change the GM before the rebuild. 100% fact.

It would be a terrible decision to part with Mattingly in the middle of a season, not only does it make no sense to pay two managers at once, there is no time to form a search committee. 

Moreover, Mattingly has been the stabilizing figure in the locker room, has the pedigree as a player and manager and has done his job like a team player. After everything, he still wants to be in Miami. That’s why the Marlins should extend him another 1+1 contract with a team option; let him see the project through. 

I am not opposed to letting Hill go if things don’t turn around by the off-season, but only if you have a top, proven GM you’re going to bring in. I’m not interested in another unproven GM. In that respect, Marlins should take a page from the Panthers and Dale Tallon.

there is no time to form a search committee. 

For those of us who think it'll be Posada, there won't need to be a search committee. I feel pretty strongly he will get the gig if he wants it. So in that regard, giving him extra time to work with the roster on a lost season makes sense to me. Why wait with a rookie manager? Get him as much experience now as possible.

Of course all of that is moot, if it isn't Posada.

If a chef is making a soup with his chosen ingredients but then halfway through the cooking a new chef is brought in to finish the soup the way he wants with this ingredients then the final product might taste like shit. 

You let Michael Hill finish a rebuild and it WILL taste like shit.

My Astros didn't change their GM a couple of years into their rebuild is my point. The guy who started the process was able to complete the process.

The Astros did what the Marlins SHOULD have done when new ownership came into the picture.

Just another reason actually for how fucking ill prepared and all Jeter/Sherman and all those folks were for this role as owners.

Last thing on possibly firing Hill... if it happens get ready for the backlash as the inept Derek Jeter fires the great Michael Hill, proving once again how Jeter is exactly the same as Loria. 

From who?  I can't think of a single poster on this board that doesn't want Hill to be gone.

Now, if you're referring to just other people outside of this board then yeah - there will probably be some people who will write he didn't get a fair chance. 

Hill and Mattingly both should have been gone prior to the rebuild since they tore everything else down. Regardless of what was "fair" or not if the reason they retained both of them was purely monetary that's a legit cheap ass move.

From who?  I can't think of a single poster on this board that doesn't want Hill to be gone.

Now, if you're referring to just other people outside of this board then yeah - there will probably be some people who will write he didn't get a fair chance. 

Hill and Mattingly both should have been gone prior to the rebuild since they tore everything else down. Regardless of what was "fair" or not if the reason they retained both of them was purely monetary that's a legit cheap ass move.

We need Hill, if for nothing else that he is a close human cure for insomnia.  

General social media/casual fan stupidity and possibly even bad media. But yeah definitely no one on here.

For those of us who think it'll be Posada, there won't need to be a search committee. I feel pretty strongly he will get the gig if he wants it. So in that regard, giving him extra time to work with the roster on a lost season makes sense to me. Why wait with a rookie manager? Get him as much experience now as possible.

Of course all of that is moot, if it isn't Posada.

Posada is a good guy, but has no coaching experience. Mattingly is far better at this point. If Jeter has a thing for Girardi, fine, but this team needs some stability and trying out Posada is not the way to go, IMO.