2020/21 off-season

2 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

What to do in a boring off-season, I'm not a football fan …

Learn to play the guitar! Lol

no but even in a normal year the “offseason” doesn’t really get going till the winter meetings and this year is proving to be even more tepid given the financial restraints. I’d say you’ll see a lot of fringe players taking lower than usual offers early in the offseason but the top players may hold out longer into late January/February to try to get money that teams will more than likely not pay. So it may be pretty boring for quite a while man! Lol

I also feel there will be a lot of good Players who were holding out for multi year deals but will ultimately take a one year deal to let the market reset. And that’s where hopefully the marlins make some quality additions even if they have to overpay on that one year a little bit. It’s more important than ever in their history that we keep the momentum going and field a good team. Take as many of those one year deals on the upper echelon talents who happen to fall in that bucket. Let’s see!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

the Marlins may have told Kintzler: Thanks for your service, and if you want to come back for $4M, just wait until January and we'll float that offer your way.

Risky move. It just takes one other team to offer him even 100k more than $4M and Kintzler is gone, especially feeling slighted that the team he wanted to stay with thought he wasn't worth keeping immediately. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Risky move. It just takes one other team to offer him even 100k more than $4M and Kintzler is gone, especially feeling slighted that the team he wanted to stay with thought he wasn't worth keeping immediately. 

That's true, but with the flood of relief talent on the market, I highly doubt Kintzler and his dangerous peripherals sign for anything more than $2.5M.

• Like 3

On 11/22/2020 at 2:54 AM, jeffreysfishfry said:

The Bryant trade makes sense but the asking price is still going to be one of Bleday, Max or Lopez plus another couple of mid range prospects.  

The problem is if he has a great FA year, we will be stuck into a situation like Phillies.  Not only did they lose Sixto, but they may lose out on Realmuto. 

I agree we need let these youngsters develop. But trading for a one year rental with the risk of him walking isn't worth it.  

Wouldnt it be better just sign Ozuna and downgrade to Molina?  

I dunno.. I think you may be overselling the asking price. Realmuto had 2 full years and was coming off an All-Star season.

Bryant only has one year left and is coming off a poor shortened season. I don't think it would take any of the three names you mentioned. Maybe something with Harrison, DIaz, lower level pitching prospects, etc.? 

I don't pretend to be a trade expert but like noted before, if we suck, he can fetch us a decent haul at the deadline. If he has a great year, that means we probably had a great year so I'd be okay with it, and who knows, maybe he'd sign here

Edited by Iowa
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Iowa said:

I dunno.. I think you may be overselling the asking price. Realmuto had 2 full years and was coming off an All-Star season.

Bryant only has one year left and is coming off a poor shortened season. I don't think it would take any of the three names you mentioned. Maybe something with Harrison, DIaz, lower level pitching prospects, etc.? 

I don't pretend to be a trade expert but like noted before, if we suck, he can fetch us a decent haul at the deadline. If he has a great year, that means we probably had a great year so I'd be okay with it, and who knows, maybe he'd sign here

He's probably gonna sign with Philly in FA, I think he and Harper want to play together. I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, Iowa said:

Maybe I'm still shell shocked from Loria, but that trade seems a little Loria-esque for the Cubs.  You make good points with Realmuto so I could be off. I'm no expert either.  Maybe the answer is more relative to perception than an actual market?   IMO the Realmuto trade was decent but I think we could have gotten more. We took all the risks, Sixto had an injury that put him out a years time? Alfaro seemed like a filler for the position we needed. I think we could have gotten more.  

Bryant is a 3X all star, MVP and rookie of the year.  He's not going to fly under the Cubs radar.  

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

No way do I want to trade with Tampa. They have magic and don't lose trades often.

I agree. And this seems like they’re trying to get him off their backs. He didn’t leave his last start on pretty terms and maybe they think he’s a toxic dude to have around. I mean, he does like like the kind of dude that finishes the cookies and puts the empty box back in the pantry. Fuck’m!

• Like 1