Why Sixto instead of Pablo

fish53

Seems to me that the thinking is to save the more experienced Pablo instead of putting Sixto in a must win situation.  But if you feel better about Pablo in such a situation, then the McKeon rule should apply as it did in 03 deciding on not saving Beckett for a game 7 and going with him to end it in six and not even get there.

I think Pablo was originally penciled in for game 2, but they did not call to tell me why the change.

3 minutes ago, fish53 said:

I think Pablo was originally penciled in for game 2, but they did not call to tell me why the change.

Sixto was announced as the game 2 starter prior to the series beginning. Though it could've changed of course if they lost yesterday, it is a mystery if it would have.

26 minutes ago, fish53 said:

Seems to me that the thinking is to save the more experienced Pablo instead of putting Sixto in a must win situation.  But if you feel better about Pablo in such a situation, then the McKeon rule should apply as it did in 03 deciding on not saving Beckett for a game 7 and going with him to end it in six and not even get there.

I'm with you. And I love the McKeon line. Jack said that he went with Beckett in game 6 because he didn't want to get to game 7. I was thinking the same thing with "saving" Pablo for tomorrow, it's weird. With that said, winning game 1 is what makes this tolerable but if we had lost game 1 I'd be freaking out about today.

Sixto’s last two starts have us forgetting how dominant he is. Make no mistake about it, Sixto is our #1, he just has to trust his stuff, establish the inside part of the plate (not try to nibble low and away where hitters can poke something the other way), and make these dudes earn it. As long as he pitches aggressively with the fastball and hits his spots with the offspeed pitches, Sixto is as unbeatable as any pitcher in the game. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Sixto’s last two starts have us forgetting how dominant he is. Make no mistake about it, Sixto is our #1, he just has to trust his stuff, establish the inside part of the plate (not try to nibble low and away where hitters can poke something the other way), and make these dudes earn it. As long as he pitches aggressively with the fastball and hits his spots with the offspeed pitches, Sixto is as unbeatable as any pitcher in the game. 

This brings to mind the matter of the home plate ump.  Yesterday was one of the more consistent performances from a HP ump I have seen recently.  They have been, overall, horrible around the league.  Nibbling and not getting the calls on the edges forces more pitches to the middle.  So, hopefully, we jump out ahead and just fire away when the shadows start creeping in.  Can't hit a 100 mph fastball when you can't see it.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fish53 said:

This brings to mind the matter of the home plate ump.  Yesterday was one of the more consistent performances from a HP ump I have seen recently.  They have been, overall, horrible around the league.  Nibbling and not getting the calls on the edges forces more pitches to the middle.  So, hopefully, we jump out ahead and just fire away when the shadows start creeping in.  Can't hit a 100 mph fastball when you can't see it.  

I’m gonna light a candle for the shadow gods lol And definitely, I wish they’d leave that umpire behind the plate today, he was great IMO.

You also can’t hit a 100 MPH fastball up and in when you’re protecting against a changeup low and out of the zone. His fastball has arm side run that, when pitched inside freezes lefties and breaks righties bats. But if they keep pitching on the outside corner then you’re letting  hitters lean out over the plate, ignore 2/3 of the strike zone, and roll something the other way through the shift (we saw that a lot in one of his last starts) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Pablo has been great this year specially in big moments. But he's not an ace. He reminds me of a prime Aníbal Sanchez right now.

This is actually not a bad comparison. Anibal was definitely stronger at the start of his career than Pablo but was fairly average for the most part after. Yet when Anibal was on, no hit stuff. Can't tell you how many times he took a no hitter into the 8th or 9th, and not talking about the one he DID complete in 06.

Pablo outside of two starts this year was very very good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

Yesterday’s HP ump should be the HP ump for the entire series. Heck once teams are in the bubble, have him be HP ump for every game.   He was that good. 

agreed, the wife and I, (who had to DVR and watch most of the game AFTER work....(11am start out here) kept being shocked that he was NAILING the ball and strikes with such precision it's almost like someone was in his ear telling him which was which. He was literally THAT on point for the game.  I watched some pieces of other games last night too and umps were also really nailing down the correct strike zone for the most part.  Where were these guys ALL SEASON LONG?!

• Like 2