2023 Marlins Appreciation Thread

Michael

Best full season we've had since 2009.

First full season making the postseason since 2003.

First time in years, in a full season, that I hadn't almost entirely checked out at the trade deadline. Probably since 2017 [thanks, Giancarlo].

I am proud of this team. Proud of what they accomplished. Proud of the massive turnaround in one year, with a very similar cast to 2022. Thank you, Skip. We weren't supposed to be this good of a team. Not a single outlet had us above .500 [I think ESPN actually had us at .500 before the year, shockingly]. And yet. We made it where 18 other teams didn't.

Not much further, no. But we made it.

Thank you, Kim. Thank you, Bruce. Thank you, Oz. Thank you whoever else.

Let's get back here in 2024 and take it further.

💙 Make It Miami, boys.

• Like 6

Yep..

This definitely was a fun ride for sure.

I wrote several times during the season that this 2023 season will go down as one of the most memorable ones so far.. up there with '97, '03, '06, '09, '16. '17 and '20.

Maybe even in the top 5 most memorable Marlins seasons so far in their history.

4 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Yep..

This definitely was a fun ride for sure.

I wrote several times during the season that this 2023 season will go down as one of the most memorable ones so far.. up there with '97, '03, '06, '09, '16. '17 and '20.

Maybe even in the top 5 most memorable Marlins seasons so far in their history.

I would put it third behind '03 and '97, to be honest. Yeah 2020 was cool but it was a shortened season, 2017 was only really memorable because of Stanton and 2016 was only memorable for the wrong reason (Jose). The 2006, 2008 and 2009 teams were fun but none of them actually made the playoffs (even though you could argue all three teams were more talented than this one).

Eury Perez lived up to the hype, Luzardo rounded into a strong #2/#3 type, and Garrett certainly looks like he belongs in the rotation.

Kudos to Josh Bell for coming over mid season, being a clubhouse leader, and smacking the cover off the ball both in the regular season and out postseason games.

Props to Arraez for flirting with .400 throughout the first half, winning another batting title, and just being all-around awesome.

Respect to Jazz for learning CF on the fly and doing a heck of a job out there.

Gratitude to Garrett Hampson for over performing relative to expectations and providing a needed spark many times.

Well done to Nardi, and holy moly to Tanner Scott, who may have been the best relief pitcher in all of baseball this year.

Great year! Arraez and Eury were so fun to watch. Soler had shades of 2017 Giancarlo at times, and the most amazing games in years happened this year including the incredible Soler walkoff against the Nats when multiple times to multiple players were down to the last strike. Even tho the offense struggled at times, they did have some impressive feats including the Arraez .400 chase, Soler, Sanchez and DLC improving, Jazz improvements and majestic homeruns. Other amazing improvements including Tanner Scott throwing strikes becoming an elite pitcher to match those elite statcast stats, Nardi's improvements, Braxton improvements and proving everyone he's a legit MLB starter no matter if he doesn't impress with the radar gun, amazing trades by Kim Ng, the Jonathan Davis magic when Jazz was hurt early on, Dane Myers going on some incredible hitting runs for a rookie after David got hurt, Jacob Amaya getting his first MLB hit on Father's Day with his dad in attendance and the great interview during the game as well. Soriano and Hoeing impressive pitching games with no notice in emergency fill in roles, especially Soriano's no hits vs the Braves in the game Eury got lit up and Hoeing throwing no hits in a emergency start vs the Pirates. Sandy really fighting all year thru what turns out to be a serious injury and even trying to pitch thru it with the start in the minors throwing a 1 hitter before forcing the season to end. Really thought he might come back and pitch in the playoffs left-handed if his right arm fell off. Edward Cabrera is the future, once he improves his control and comand, and throws strikes like the improvements Tanner Scott has made, he will be elite pitcher. Luzardo proved he has a winning attitude and will continue to improve next year, I expect big things from him and Cabrera and Braxton next year. Overall great year. I don't think wholesale changes should be made. This team is great, just work on the baserunning, situational hitting, and fielding and this team will go even farther. I think Skip, Brant Brown and Mel are great coaches.