2023/24 Off-Season

49 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

So real talk here then.  Should we just check out of the offseason then if they're apparently not in on any FAs, and not looking to do extensions?

No because I still think trades are coming that will have a significant effect on our roster. I also don't think they're tanking this year so there might be a watchable product on the field.

I can stomach a Luzardo trade depending on the return. I can't take an Arraez trade because he's essentially the best player on the team and the message it would send to the fanbase would be awful. There's also no other Arraez on this team so it would be indefensible to the fanbase unlike Luzardo where we could at least say we have other SP's who could cover for him.

55 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

No because I still think trades are coming that will have a significant effect on our roster. I also don't think they're tanking this year so there might be a watchable product on the field.

Maybe, we'll see.   And you're right, they're not tanking, but I also don't see us being as good as last year - I see us falling in a range of 77-81 wins.

Losing Soler is somewhat offset by full years of Burger/Bell (hopefully the latter plays like he did with us, vs. Cleveland).

Losing Sandy is a blow......some of the young guys will have higher inning limits.  But then the other crop of guys that haven't played (Rogers, Meyer, etc) will have their own limitations.  Even not performing well, Sandy absorbed a ton of innings for us that have to be made up elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I can stomach a Luzardo trade depending on the return. I can't take an Arraez trade because he's essentially the best player on the team and the message it would send to the fanbase would be awful. There's also no other Arraez on this team so it would be indefensible to the fanbase unlike Luzardo where we could at least say we have other SP's who could cover for him.

Agree about Arraez....

And for Luzardo, it has to be a massive haul where we clearly win the trade and sets you up for a long time in multiple positions for that to be palatable for me.

Subtract Luzardo from the above arms already missing Sandy, we're going to absolutely need to bring a pitcher from outside of the organization - I'm already skeptical of the young guys being able to do cover the innings over the course of the full season - subtracting Luzardo from that and it'll be a disaster without additional help, IMO.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Let's start dreaming up some best-case scenarios this year on the current roster.

Maybe Skip decides stealing bases is a good thing and we lead the league in that again.

if all these happen might win 85 games:

Jazz playing 150 games

eury pitches 130ip

max meyer is good

Trevor rogers is good  

bullpen stays pretty good 

burger is an all star 

sanchez hits 30+ dong

3 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

Jazz playing 150 games

eury pitches 130ip

max meyer is good (will have innings limit)

Trevor rogers is good  (will have innings limit)

Braxton doesn’t regress too much 

burger is an all star 

sanchez hits 30+ dong

get non very negative WAR from C and SS

Oops meant to edit the previous post not make new one hehe

Edited by pollythewog

35 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

Jazz playing 150 games

eury pitches 130ip

max meyer is good

Trevor rogers is good  

burger is an all star 

sanchez hits 30+ dong

Jazz will never play 150 games. Dude is made of glass. If he starts hot and stays healthy the 1st two months of the season, we should trade him before he gets hurt again.

1 hour ago, TaiwanMarlins said:

Didn't the "money ball " never care about the fan ?

Not necessarily. If the money ball plan works and you get a 90+ win team most seasons and multiple playoff appearances even though payroll is low and the roster is often changing... what's there for the fans to complain about?

24 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

Jazz will never play 150 games. Dude is made of glass. If he starts hot and stays healthy the 1st two months of the season, we should trade him before he gets hurt again.

I was dreaming up a best case scenario per my colleagues request m8

21 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Not necessarily. If the money ball plan works and you get a 90+ win team most seasons and multiple playoff appearances even though payroll is low and the roster is often changing... what's there for the fans to complain about?

I'd rather have consistent winning and low payroll than the consistent losing and low payroll we've had for decades now....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/2024-arbitration-tracker.html

Marlins arbitration deals:

Tanner Scott (5.059):

Luis Arraez (4.121):

JT Chargois (4.101): $1.285MM agreement today

Christian Bethancourt (4.038):

Jesus Luzardo (3.165):

A.J. Puk (3.124): $1.8MM agreement today

Steven Okert (3.109):

Trevor Rogers (3.094): $1.53MM agreement today

Jazz Chisholm Jr. (3.075):

Anthony Bender (2.153):

Jesus Sanchez (2.118):

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/2024-arbitration-tracker.html

Marlins arbitration deals:

Tanner Scott (5.059):

Luis Arraez (4.121):

JT Chargois (4.101): $1.285MM agreement today

Christian Bethancourt (4.038):

Jesus Luzardo (3.165):

A.J. Puk (3.124): $1.8MM agreement today

Steven Okert (3.109):

Trevor Rogers (3.094): $1.53MM agreement today

Jazz Chisholm Jr. (3.075):

Anthony Bender (2.153):

Jesus Sanchez (2.118):

Apparently this right here is our problem.