Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

mystikol87

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mystikol87

  1. Well, I believe it's public domain that Peter has a massive man-crush on Hanley. He's admitted it on Dan Lebatard's show (at least once), if I'm not mistaken. Then again, it's not too hard to understand why :thumbup
  2. If Rabelo clears waivers, does that impact this at all? No. He will be assigned to AAA, just like De Aza or Owens. If he is called back, then he has to go back onto the 40 man. I'm counting 40 players total on the Marlins 40-man, including Rabelo, according to the official site. Are they missing someone? I counted 4 times lol
  3. If Rabelo clears waivers, does that impact this at all?
  4. I'd also like to show how screwed we are next year, all of these players will have to be added to the 40 man, in addition to what we already have: 2005 High School Draftees - Thompson, West, Winters, Morrison 2006 19+/College Draftees- Sinkbiel, Coghlan, Cousins, Raynor, G. Taylor, Ceda That's 10 legitimate guys. 40 man hell next year! It still looks like a problem, but I have to feel like Cantu/Uggla/Amezaga are gone by next year. At least that opens up 3 spots. Of course, signing Pavano would eliminate another I guess. And hopefully the bullpen will sort itself out so we'll have a better idea which arms to hang on to there.....
  5. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/83902-r...ace-carl-pavano Former Florida Marlins starting pitcher Carl Pavano is interested in a return with the Marlins. Marlins' GM Michael Hill met with Pavano's agent Tim O'Connell and it seems the Marlins may be close to signing the free agent. Pavano had a 33-23 record in two-plus seasons with the Marlins. Cool. I imagine if Pavano were to sign this early in the process, it would be a MLB deal. This would set the staff for the most part. Johnson, Nolasco, Volstad, Anibal, Miller Lindstrom, Nunez, Nelson, Pinto, Cruz, Pavano , and Meyer/Tank (DFA Kensing, J. Delgado, and Meyer if he loses to Tank) RP options on 40 Man - Tucker, Vanden Hurk, T. Wood Is there any chance that Pavano bumps Anibal/Miller to AAA for a test run/more seasoning, and if Pavano has some difficulties and the other guy is doing well, then they could sub him in?
  6. I already posted this in the other Hermida thread - we don't need to open a new thread EVERY time an article mentions a Marlins player. This should be moved there. Why do people get some God Damn anal about thread postings. If the moderators feel its redundant then they can purge them. Isn't that what they're here for. Wow, why does it bother you so much? Get off it, pal. P.S. Upon further reflection, I suppose it is a big deal when anyone in the media actually wants to write something about the Marlins, so maybe it does deserve a separate thread. :thumbup
  7. So this is who we were making room for when we put Rabelo on waivers? Lame, very lame - I was expecting an interesting signing or trade.
  8. The Indians are interested in Orlando Hudson, who reportedly seeks a five-year, $50MM deal. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ Um, I'm not really interested in the guy being over 25% of our payroll (twice as much as Hanley), and he's injury-prone. If that's what he wants, thanks but no thanks.
  9. "A bigger healthier eric davis" :lol yeah that made my eyes light up too. Man that's an impressive list. I could just read that over and over. What's he mean by pitchers of Volstad's "type"? I'm thinking he means a guy who pitches to contact without as many K's? Either way, this makes me smile. I agree, a worst-case Lyle Overbay is just WOW. Also, how good does that Kevin Gregg trade look at this moment? Especially considering the glut of closers available on the market (especially for a team like the Cubs who can afford to throw around some $$$) This, from Jayson Stark: Available as free agents: Francisco Rodriguez, Brian Fuentes, Trevor Hoffman, Kerry Wood and, depending on how you look at them in your bullpen neighborhood, Jason Isringhausen, Brandon Lyon, Eric Gagne and Juan Cruz. There's also Chad Cordero, who is coming off shoulder surgery and is iffy for Opening Day. Also, potentially available on the trade market: J.J. Putz, Bobby Jenks, George Sherrill, Huston Street, Jose Valverde and Matt Capps. That's 15 names, and 12 of those players (all but Street, Gagne and Cruz) have saved more than 20 games in at least one of the past two seasons. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...;page=rumblings Also awesome is how Ceda was #3 in the Cubs organization, likely improved his stock this past year, and yet he's still #6 in ours. (IMO Tucker and West aren't very far behind, although the author of this article seems to think there is some distance there).
  10. I already posted this in the other Hermida thread - we don't need to open a new thread EVERY time an article mentions a Marlins player. This should be moved there.
  11. http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/...rtnerId=rss_fla Uggggggh.............if they trade Jeremy to the Phillies, I may quite literally throw up.
  12. Why is this irrelevant? He plays half of all his games at home and has never had a consistent season in the majors. We can argue back and forth about potential all day but it really doesn't matter. We've wasted these 3 years in which he should've been in the minors and now its time to make a decision: is he worth arbitration money and the team's confidence in a year in which we are supposed to contend? Yes, he could certainly turn into some great hitter, I odn't think teams generally call up talents they think are hopeless for long spans of time. But he could also just do what he did last year and OPS below 750. The real question is do you have confidence and faith in him, adn want him at the plate when the game is on the line? I don't. I would rather try someone untested than pay more for someone with a history of dissapointing who tops it off with lazy defense. And I really could care less if he turns into Manny Ramirez while playing for someone else 3 years from now. We are trying to contend in 2009, and Hermida isn't ready for it. Because players at this age struggle, and past bumps in the road don't completely negate future potential. We haven't wasted 3 years. He hasn't been hopeless. You are clueless to player development if you truly believe that. No one is making excuses for him, but at the same time he's shown plenty of potential to be a plus hitter in this league and it's foolish to cut these players loose. Especially when they are cheap, and a 1st year arbitration Hermida is very cheap in baseball terms. Any FA that could get close to his hitting potential for 2009 would cost just as much, or more. This isn't a near 30 year old like Willingham and Jacobs who "are who they are." Hermida can absolutely be a corner OF on a contending team and he's not making or breaking our contending situation regardless. Our SP will take us as far as they want too. Your last sentence is frightening. Yes, Hermida's potential will hit a game winning homerun in game 7 of the world series. The opposite is also true, if he doesn't pan out keeping him one more year dimishes his trade value. Right now if we can get a nice package of young players for him, theres no reason to be stubborn and hold on to him. By trading him now, you are risking a huge loss (if he gets good) for a small gain. If he sucks again, his value drops a bit, but not nearly as much as his "value" would rise if he were to start playing up toward his potential.
  13. Why is this irrelevant? He plays half of all his games at home and has never had a consistent season in the majors. We can argue back and forth about potential all day but it really doesn't matter. We've wasted these 3 years in which he should've been in the minors and now its time to make a decision: is he worth arbitration money and the team's confidence in a year in which we are supposed to contend? Yes, he could certainly turn into some great hitter, I odn't think teams generally call up talents they think are hopeless for long spans of time. But he could also just do what he did last year and OPS below 750. The real question is do you have confidence and faith in him, adn want him at the plate when the game is on the line? I don't. I would rather try someone untested than pay more for someone with a history of dissapointing who tops it off with lazy defense. And I really could care less if he turns into Manny Ramirez while playing for someone else 3 years from now. We are trying to contend in 2009, and Hermida isn't ready for it. I agree with Lou's comments below. And, Tee Ball, of course we want to contend in 2009, and I understand why that worries you; however, it's not like we're only going to contend in 2009. We're not an old team with a bunch of guys who are going to be 40-yr-old free agents next year or something. Our starting rotation is all 25 or younger, I believe, and our excellent core of players are all under 30 (even younger if you don't count Uggla/Cantu in the "core"). So we're going to be around for a while. 2009 can't be viewed in a vacuum - this team figures to be competitive for a while.
  14. good idea... but for completeness' sake: OUT Sergio Mitre Paul Lo Duca Luis Gonzalez Arthur Rhodes Mark Hendrickson RETAINED/SIGNED FOR 2009: Hanley Ramirez Andrew Miller Wes Helms Rhodes can't be counted out YET, he is in negotiations with the team as we speak. In my view, they are free agents with no actual connection to the Marlins; so, they are out until they are back in. This is really just semantics, though. Do you have a link about the negotiations? Everything I've heard had said that the Marlins hadn't even contacted Arthur Rhodes.
  15. Jesus, do the math. It's less than $8,000 each. And these are all major leaguers making even at minimum $300,000 a year+ depending when the purported issue arose. Which is the point, we're talking about less than $ 100,000. For a major league team to be this penurious is ridiculous. It invites snide "Cheap Jews" bashes at Loria and Samson, and brings ridicule, and behind the scenes talk amongst players. I'm sure other players have heard this, and some of them could be potential free agents. These kinds of things lead a player, who might have several options besides the Marlins, to choose the other team. Noone brought bigotry into it until you did. Not surprising. First you say the Marlins are only acquiring latino players to appease the latin fanbase (regardless of talent...etc), and now the Marlins owners are cheap jews... I think I'm sensing a trend. This is so sad, and you are right ctina. Can Admin or whoever look into this? Seriously, there is no place for that crap on this board.
  16. I think for talent evaluation you have to factor in the names that were passed over. I'm still liking the Hermida pick but it's troubling to see names like Kazmir, Hamels, and Cain being passed over. This is even when you consider that there was likely a stated goal of wanting to draft an outfielder over a pitcher. You can pick apart any draft in any sport and question any front office. Do Billy Beane and the Oakland staff suck because they had 2/3 picks and took a 21-yr-old Blanton over a 17-yr-old Matt Cain, and Cain is better today AND 4 years younger? Is every NFL GM an idiot because they didn't take Tom Brady? In any given draft, so much of this is luck. Granted, a GMs track record is all we have to go on; still, we can't even judge Hermida's real progress yet IMO. This doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong about Beinfest being an average GM - I don't pretend to know enough to say that, although I have to feel like his success with such a limited payroll is impressive - but I think that's an incredibly unfair and inaccurate way to judge him.
  17. If our outfield consisted of Jesus, Moses, and the Dalai Lama, we still wouldn't be able to get the stadium filled. Um, Jesus was Black; Moses was white; and the Dalai Lama is Indian. Since they aren't Hispanic, they clearly would not increase attendance.
  18. I'm pretty stoked about our farm system seeing as how our #9 (I have him 13th) ranked guy is a consensus top 4 (most had him top 3) guy with the Chicago Cubs. That's pretty cool, yeah. Wasn't that ranking before 2008 season? I think so, and he was really impressive in AA one they let him come out of the 'pen, so maybe he could've even moved higher.
  19. This Hermida chatter is getting so trite......we've officially run out of ways to frame the arguments for and against.
  20. where does that leave Dan Uggla, Jorge Cantu and Jeremy Hermida? I like Uggla and Cantu despite the fact that they have iron gloves but Hermida needs to step up or get out of town. Uggla isn't even bad defensively. Cantu is fine at 1st. Hermida can easily improve. With a McPherson/Helms platoon, amd Hermida steps us, dare I say we are a solid defense? Ross and Maybin are very very good out there, and Hermida seems to have the potential to be average+. Cantu is okay at 1st, Uggla's statistics this year were very good, and we'll have very strong defense at 3rd at least when Helms place. And I expect Hanley to keep improving. We're not like the 2003 team (infield, anyway), but this is a nice improvement over last year.
  21. I think we all do and secretly we all have that one player we think they might go get, hidden somewhere in the back of our minds, thinking it's to outlandish to even mention the name. Barry Bonds! 100,000,000% on board here. And he won't cost anything. Could you imagine if we signed Bonds and O-Dog and moved Uggla to 3rd? It's all a big reach, but what a lineup. Maybin CF Hudson 2B Ramirez SS Bonds LF Uggla 3B Cantu 1B Ross/Hermida RF Baker C holy..... (even if you deal Cantu and put Gaby in his spot and bat Gaby 7th/8th......whoa)
  22. I've been thinking about this, and I don't see how this deal makes sense...for the Cubs. Sure, they probably wanted to get rid of Wood's salary, and needed a replacement... But doesn't anyone think Marmol is a much better reliever than Kevin Gregg? So what's the point of trading your 4th best prospect for a 30 year old middle reliever...who you can probably get in free agency, at a cheaper price (point here being that Gregg is replaceable, and there are guys LIKE him in free agency...who will come cheaper). I'd much rather have...Marmol closing, with Samardjia (yeah, I spelled it wrong) / a middle reliever at a cheaper price like Gregg than Gregg closing, with Marmol and Samardjia (yeah, I spelled it wrong again). Marmol probably will end up closing with Greggo setting him up. Also, I believe Samardzija is a starter who was put in the pen this year. 56 of his 59 games in the minors were starts. I agree - of course, Samardzjia could end up back in the pen if the Cubs resign Ryan Dempster. They are also trying to land Peavy, so that would also push Samardzjia further back. As for the Cubs perspective, they seem to want to win now. That team was one of the best in the NL, and they feel they are close enough to win it now. They'd rather have KG for 1 year as a solid vet, and take their chances with the 2 compensation picks, than wait on a 21-year old to see if he's ready this year while not having that bullpen hole filled by a veteran with a good history. That's just my guess.
  23. woohoo! ok, now WORLD SERIES MVP award next season :mischief Okay, maybe not - but a guy can dream, can't he?
  24. New updated rankings? I'm guessing Ceda is a B or maybe a B+? I'm of the opinion that this may just be enough RP arms. I'm not saying we won't need a Joe Nelson-type FA for this year while a couple of the guys continue developing, but we have plenty of talented kids in the minors to turn our bullpen into a major strength by 2010 or 2011, IMO. Still want a SP buddy for Mr. West....And catchers at any levels.
  25. Lindstrom, Ceda, Tucker, Nunez. That's a lotta MPH right there. And real young. And real cheap. That's 2/3 or 4/7 of a bullpen that could be really good (and cheap) for a handful of years.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.