Everything posted by mystikol87
-
2009 Marlins' options
I don't mean to be a sycophant, but reading a back-and-forth between nny and lou is rather enjoyable. Can a wealthy poster buy out some airtime for these guys? Seriously, they put Zaslo, Sid Rosenberg, etc. to shame, and even Ed Kaplan.
-
Who should the Marlins go after?
The career numbers that appeal to me for Baker's platoon partner are those of, Ausmus, Bard, Barrett, Lo Duca, Pudge, David Ross, Varitek, and maybe Zaun and Toby Hall (although he raked vs. LHP in 2008). Don't really want any of them. Hopefully Olsen nets us a young catcher. Let me rephrase - my feelings are more aptly stated as, "The only career numbers vs. LHP which I would find palatable for Baker's platoon partner are those of.... Not in love with any of them, by any stretch though. Although I forgot to mention Olivo initially in my first post (I edited it in now). His splits are amazing, even if he does K a lot. What would be his salary demands?
-
Who should the Marlins go after?
The career numbers that appeal to me for Baker's platoon partner are those of, Ausmus, Bard, Barrett, Lo Duca, Pudge, David Ross, Varitek, and maybe Zaun and Toby Hall (although he raked vs. LHP in 2008). Don't really want any of them. Hopefully Olsen nets us a young catcher. Let me rephrase - my feelings are more aptly stated as, "The only career numbers vs. LHP which I would find palatable for Baker's platoon partner are those of.... Not in love with any of them, by any stretch though.
-
Who should the Marlins go after?
I only see us looking at Catchers or RP’s. No other position players that might, possibly, kind of, maybe, sorta be affordable would likely give production that is significantly superior to what we already have. As a point of reference…… Free Agent Catchers Career Stats vs. LHP + ‘08 stats: (I included only those who bat RH vs. LHP) Brad Ausmus (40) - .263/.354/.729, 2008 - 65 AB: .277/.365/.780 Rod Barajas (33) - .227/.284/.629, 2008 - 108 AB: .204/.239/.591 Josh Bard (31) - . .288/.341/.785, 2008 - 52 AB: .135/.196/.427 Michael Barrett (32) - .255/.322/.767, 2008 - 27 AB: .296/.394/.987 Henry Blanco (37) - .239/.311/.708, 2008 - 57 AB: .316/.350/.771 Johnny Estrada (33) - .265/.292/.673, 2008 - 10 AB: .100/.100/.200 Toby Hall (33) - .283/.326/.733, 2008 - 53 AB: .377/.411/.920 Jason LaRue (35) - .230/.312/.712, 2008 - 46 AB: .196/.288/.549 Paul Lo Duca (37) - .319/.366/.824, 2008 - 53 AB: .254/.302/.607 Miguel Olivo (30) - .286/.315/.840, 2008 - 103 AB: .262/.296/.830 Ivan Rodriguez (37) - .312/.362/.849, 2008 - 97 AB: .289/.343/.724 David Ross (32) - .233/.319/.782, 2008 - 63 AB: .206/.363/.632 Javier Valentin (33) - .219/.294/.592, 2008 - 22 AB: .182/.250/.568 Jason Varitek (37) - .284/.362/.830, 2008 - 95 AB: .284/.378/.863 Gregg Zaun (38) - .263/.362/.741, 2008 - 49 AB: .163/.317/.562 As an aside, Lo Duca vs. LHP in 2007 - 126 AB: .341/.376/.867, and in 2006 - 152 AB: .336/.373/.833 Pudge vs. LHP in 2007 - 126 AB: .302/.302/.746, and in 2006 - 156 AB: .340/.385/.891 Zaun vs. LHP in 2007 - 69 AB: .290/.391/.797, and in 2006 - 51 AB: .373/.492/1.120 I showed you these stats because they are old and there was a significant drop-off between their career numbers and their 2008 numbers. These could be aberrations or just aging, I’m not sure. The career numbers that appeal to me for Baker’s platoon partner are those of Olivo, Ausmus, Bard, Barrett, Lo Duca, Pudge, David Ross, Varitek, and maybe Zaun and Toby Hall (although he raked vs. LHP in 2008). Varitek and Pudge all probably right out because of salary demands. Age 37+ catchers make me nervous - my preference (not knowing salary demands) would be Josh Bard, Michael Barrett, or David Ross. Where would the others’ salary demands fall - Olivo, Bard, Barrett, Ross? Also Lo Duca and Ausmus?
-
Opinion poll: Who's next to be traded?
Olsen, then Gregg, then Willingham or Hermida, one, not both. Olsen will fetch another reliever, Gregg a dump trade, Willingham or Hermida probably another reliever. :banghead There should be some mandatory MarlinsLou reading before posting, if nothing else.
-
Jacobs Traded to Royals
Funny. I remember me and many other people saying the same thing about the Rays about five years ago. Look at them now. KC is making solid moves to improve that team. They will be good again. This is one move that should help get them on track. I think this pushes them back a little. Just my opinion. The reason I think it helps the Royals is b/c their lineup lacks power. I agree that they have given up pitching, however, they were pretty good there. Like us, they are giving up a strength of theirs to fill a weakness. Although many agree that they have given up a lot, they did achieve the goal of putting more pop in the lineup. Why do people insist lineups need "power"? Sure, 3-run homers are great, but not necessarily at the expense of base-hits, walks, and generally productive at-bats where at a baserunner can move up 90 feet at least. (Occasionally) Fun to watch (ABs) does not equal Wins, but Wins = Fun.
-
Informative and Fun Activity
I have to agree with the Gregg route, and it's sick to think of that roster PLUS whatever he brings in a trade, and there should be significant quality there. Another note: Pushing Anibal/Miller to the pen would also limit their potential arbitration raises (although I'm not sure if Miller is subject to the same rules because his contract is not for the league minimum?) Additionally, won't we eventually get draft picks for Olsen/Willingham if we hang on to them now and let them go later? How would those likely compare to the "keep Gregg, then let him go as an FA and get 2 first-rounders" situation? He is subject to the same rules as his K let's him opt out when he gets to arb. It would certainly lower Anibal or Miller for at least the first season of their arb if the Marlins had full years of starting from the other 5 guys. That's actually a smart find I hadn't thought of with keeping Olsen. That could easily deflect $1-2 off overall 2010 team salary. And hopefully that is the last god damn year we have to pinch pennies (i.e. millions) off of payroll and the new stadium is ready to go in 2011. We'd have to hold onto Olsen and Willingham for at least 3 more seasons so that's not something to think about. I doubt either would be type A free agents either. Olsen could be an A if he stays healthy, but it's unlikely Hammer would be anything more than a B. RP elias rankings are insane compared to other positions. That's why Gregg is rather valuable for closing purposes in 2009. I'm sure this won't happen, but the idea of this team with a $45-55 million payroll is just sick. Take Lou's roster, but make KG that proven RP sub for Tucker/Nunez/Nelson (whoever is struggling the most), add Rhodes to take Tank's place, and that's a really sick 'pen with a roster of approximately $47 million. Lord, that would be amazing; we'll still be good, but that would be amazing. Come on, Jeff, just $7 million more......oh yeah, AND we get Type-A compensation when we let KG walk after this year.
-
Informative and Fun Activity
So, essentially moving Kevin Gregg would get us right in that $38-40 million range. After that, anyone else we trade would probably just free up the amount of their salary in pursuit of other free agents. Yes. It's GREGG or OLSEN/WILLINGHAM, based on what we have. That is a tough call because Gregg is a solid RP, delays Lindstrom from getting a big saves bump in arbitration, and would be a Type A Free agent for two first round picks. In the negative, it would force Olsen off the team leaving us with "only" 5 SP, and we'd have a weak ass 25th man on the bench whether its Andino, or one of the baby outfielders (Raynor, Carroll, De Aza).\ Olsen would push Sanchez/Miller to the pen to become a nasty Ryan Madson/Adam Wainwright when relieving type for 1 year. Willingham would make the Marlins outfield 4 deep and the bench would be F'ing serious with Hammer/McPherson/Helms/Amezaga. But then you don't have Gregg's stability (say what you will with the blown saves, but he's solid), and you are potentially losing big to the farm with the draft picks. And you are making probably Lindstrom, a lot more expensive in 2010 when he racks up the saves. I would go the trade Gregg route though (this is also trading/DFAing Kensing). Use the Type-A compensation as incentive to a team to trade. I would target young arms. Even at the single A level. John Baker $405,000 Gaby Sanchez $400,000 Dan Uggla $4,400,000 Jorge Cantu $4,500,000 Hanley Ramirez $5,500,000 Jeremy Hermida $2,500,000 Cameron Maybin $400,000 Cody Ross $3,000,000 Alfredo Amezaga $1,750,000 Josh Willingham $2,000,000 Wes Helms $950,000 Dallas McPherson $550,000 Veteran RH Catcher $1,500,000 Josh Johnson $1,750,000 Ricky Nolasco $3,000,000 Scott Olsen $2,250,000 Chris Volstad $405,000 Andrew Miller $1,350,000 Matt Lindstrom $420,000 Joe Nelson $800,000 Leo Nunez $420,000 Anibal Sanchez $420,000 Reynel Pinto $420,000 Ryan Tucker $400,000 Taylor Tankeresly $415,000 $39,905,000 Top Callups C - Rabelo IF - Andino, Coghlan OF - Raynor, Carroll P - Cruz, Vanden Hurk, Owens, Mobley That's a very deep team. The position players and starters are clearly awesome, and that bullpen can be really nasty if Tucker develops, Pinto pitches like the first half, and Tank gets his sh*t straight to be a true LOOGY. We'd also have so much depth on the bench, we could just call up our AAA middle infielders in case of an infield injury and we have four starting OF, so if one were to get hurt we wouldn't lose much with Raynor as the 5th OF (Amezaga as the 4th in that scenario) for the time being. Same with the pitching, as if a starter goes down Anibal can instantly sub in and we have four huge fireballers just sitting in AAA. Lastly, the veteran catchers. Might as well do LoDuca (or Toby Hall) to play some lefties and spot. I would prefer to acquire another young catcher to groom with Baker (and maybe Gregg could bring this in a trade), but it seems logistically it will be more realistic to go the cheap free agent route. I like this depth a lot. I'm really hoping we have a $40 millionish team. I have to agree with the Gregg route, and it's sick to think of that roster PLUS whatever he brings in a trade, and there should be significant quality there. Another note: Pushing Anibal/Miller to the pen would also limit their potential arbitration raises (although I'm not sure if Miller is subject to the same rules because his contract is not for the league minimum?) Additionally, won't we eventually get draft picks for Olsen/Willingham if we hang on to them now and let them go later? How would those likely compare to the "keep Gregg, then let him go as an FA and get 2 first-rounders" situation?
-
Opinion poll: Who's next to be traded?
Scott Olsen. Someone like Texas will over pay for him. That's what I like about dealing Olsen or Hermida. Someone is going to give us a couple of really nice peices for them. Gregg, on the other hand, will command peanuts. Uggh, we've been over this. :banghead
-
Informative and Fun Activity
So, essentially moving Kevin Gregg would get us right in that $38-40 million range. After that, anyone else we trade would probably just free up the amount of their salary in pursuit of other free agents.
-
Berardino: Marlins payroll could go up 82%
For the marlins, to get Salty would be like winning the lottery It would be like a $3 lottery ticket where it's even MORE money. It's like winning the powerball, IN EUROS. Careful now, the Euro has been pretty weak lately...
-
More Serious Trade Talk
Maybe they signed Helms because McPherson is a FA this year and they don't wanna resign him. That way they have a good 3 man platoon btw Sanchez, Cantu, and Helms. I honestly don't see how McPherson is so great anyways. I think that Sanchez and Cantu are way better than him. The problem with your proposed platoon is that it consists of 3 right-handed hitters. The reason to platoon with McPherson in place of Helms there is because he mashes lefties. He may or may not ever be good enough to start everyday, but his numbers show he can crush the southpaws.
-
More Serious Trade Talk
2) Hypothetically speaking, if this chatter were indeed true, I find it remarkable how the Marlins would pencil in Gaby Sanchez at 1B next year to replace Jacobs. That would mean that Dallas McPherson could once again find himself in the minors or Jorge Cantu could be traded if the Marlins were to place Sanchez at 1B. Of course, this is just pure speculation, like I would think that article is. McPherson has a 100% shot of being on the MLB team next year because if they don't promote him they lose him. He is out of options. The Marlins can easily have Cantu, G. Sanchez, and McPherson all on the same team and getting PA. There is plenty of starts to go around. Hopefully, some day soon, everyone will understand what a great idea the Cantu/Gaby/Dallas platoon is, whether they hear it from you or otherwise. Then we can stop getting the same question about it.
-
More Serious Trade Talk
We probably don't need more outfielders, unless they're veterans who could make an immediate impact. We need a couplecorner outfielders. Not with the prospects the Marlins have coming up soon. besides raynor we dont have anyone who is a corner outfielder that is coming up anytime soon. Stanton might be coming up in 2010. Raynor, Maybin, Stanton is a good outfield. I'm still hoping that in 2010 or 2011 we'll have Stanton, Maybin, Hermida. Jeremy will be 27 then I believe, in his prime, and hopefully producing something like what we had once hoped.
-
Can you believe...
I remember being at the A-Gonz game. When he got up, I turned to my dad and grandpa and said "Who's up next inning?" Next thing I knew, the ball was flying - okay, just clearing - that wall in left and we went insane. So great. I sat in the exact same spot the whole playoffs. Baseball superstitions are the best.
-
If the Marlins had kept Cabrera
Terrible question, because you don't know what Cabrera's stats would've been against NL pitching What are you talking about? DH affect pitchers, not hitters. If Cabrera stayed with the team, we would had 4 infielders with 30+ HR. He was talking about trade value, and if Cabrera had to face NL pitching, he most likely would've had completely different stats. That is why it is stupid to ask if we kept him could we have made just a good of a trade If there is some sort of difference in his stats which was to be expected if he was in the NL, then GMs are aware of that, too. I don't think it would have affected his trade value - GMs are generally clever enough to analyze relative stats.
-
If the Marlins had kept Cabrera
Am I the only one who thinks De La Cruz can become quite a solid big league reliever? Well, De La Cruz haven't proven him self. But from what he has shown us, he will only be a below average RP. Haha, usually when you say one negative sentence about someone, and the second sentence starts with "But," you expect the second sentence to be at least somewhat positive. Not here - "He hasn't been that good. But, he's not that good."
-
One scout's view on Marlins trade bait.
If we want this team to get better somebody has to be traded. The only players not available under any cicumstance are JJ, Nolasco, Volstad and maybe Miller. Everyone else is game. BTW I didn't mention Hanley Ramirez because he is the soul of the lineup...No chance in hell he will be traded. Amezaga is not in that category I'm assuming you're referring to the ML roster only. In that case, Maybin is also not available. Probably not Lindstrom, either.
-
Mike Stanton
I know I may sound crazy in this comparison, but doesn't that stance and physique look a lot like Ryan Braun? Honestly, it reminds me of this guys a little more: Pujols obviously crouches down lower but hey both have the long and HUGE arms with a wide stance, Stanton just needs to fill out a little more in the lower half; which by looking at him you can tell that won't be a problem. This gets me way too excited.....I should stop reading now.
-
Penny back in Teal?
With all the things this team needs, I don't think it would be wise to spend money on an injury prone starting pitcher....and starting pitching is something that SHOULD be a strength next year. Wouldn't our [potential] SP depth a reason WHY we should take a risk on a guy who might make a big comeback from an injury? I mean, certainly the price would have to be right.......but with our arms, we can afford to have him get hurt and have no problem filling his spot. But, if he can be healthy and perform, he could be a great addition. Of course, if we are going to pay him several million, there might be a better place to put it (catcher, bullpen?) On another note, what's Mark Prior's status? Would he be cheaper/more expensive than Penny at this point? Does he have any upside left?
-
Team Colors
Now I don't want to assume everyone else's opinion on this matter, but speaking for myself, I don't want to see the team's color(s) changed. I'm already disgusted with all the orange as it is, Florida has enough teams (Dolphins, Hurricanes, Gators,..) with orange, as does MLB (Giants, Mets, Orioles). I don't want to see our team just look like a bunch of other teams in baseball, like the 20 teams who wear red or blue. While I can certainly respect the wishes of those who don't want the team wearing the all teal Jerseys again, I don't know anyone who actually like all this orange and such that seems to be pushing on us. So while I'd like to maybe do a more formal and serious petition to try to keep the Marlins teal, I'd like to know how everyone else feels about it. Bleh, and I already screwed it up by accidentally voting yes on #2 in my haste... What a jerk! Don't you know Amendment #2 will lead to taking away rights from unmarried and same-sex couples - jerk! :thumbdown (kidding)
-
Cody - #8 CF in the ML?
Btw in the title it says #8 CF but in the first post it says #7.......... Oops.
-
Cody - #8 CF in the ML?
I continue to view Ross as a starter next season, most likely in left field. I think you give him the job outright, he is only going to produce. I think one option a lot of us keep forgetting is the possibility of moving Hammer to first. Like we all know, his value is not too high right now. If we move Jacobs, who is obviously worth much more via trade, and move Hammer to first, we reduce his injury risk and defensive liability. I actually believe he could be a very good first baseman, considering his past at catcher and third base. And if it doesn't work out, he gets injured once more, or he simply increases his value and we move him near mid-season, you always have Sanchez waiting. Not the most realistic situation, but it is certainly another option. Especially considering Hammer's bat is the kind this franchise is trying to keep/get. Why is Hammer the kind of hitter we are trying to keep? He also K's a ton, averaging 120+/full year. I know his career OBP is much better than Cody's career OBP, but he's also slower, not to mention with a bad injury history and he's 2 years older at 29.
-
Cody - #8 CF in the ML?
http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2008/10/1...-fielders-of-20 Here's an article which calculated the top CFs, accounting for both offense and defense. A lot more statistics went into this analysis than just errors, steals, HR, etc. And the end result is that Cody Ross is the #7 CF in the majors, better than McLouth, Mike Cameron, Matt Kemp and others. Barring a surprise, I do see Maybin starting in CF, but Cody's number on defense probably would only rise if he plays a corner spot. Bottom line, despite a low OBP and high K's, a lot of his other numbers must look really good. Should he be the frontrunner to start in LF, even if Hammer and Hermida stay? I have a hard time arguing otherwise, given this information. Also, I'm not running to trade away the farm in order to get a McLouth, who's less than a year younger and also a defensive liability.
-
Peavy (Long, sorry)
It's my magnetic personality and my incredible charisma :BananaLlama Is that the character for the PC game Gadgets & Gizmos? Or just a random banana-looking thing riding some sore of 4-legged manatee?