Dreckman's missed call...

Ok seriously...for those who saw 1st base ump Bruce Dreckman's PATHETIC call on the Matt Treanor "double play" ball...I was watching with my dad and we're curious...with a call that bad, is there some type of penalty or consequence for Dreckman? I mean, I understand "human error", its an integral part of the game of baseball...but blatantly missing an obvious call can't just go untouched, or can it? I mean the man has a job to do, and he completely failed at it...in most jobs, something has to give...

Please tell me something comes out of this...

I know we won, but thats beside the point...if we have umps making calls that bad, somethings wrong and it needs to be corrected...

Whats the procedure here? And is there any precedent for something like this?

I'm so curious on this...any help would be appreciated...

why would the other umps protest? he clearly screwed up...theres no question about it...it wouldnt be picking on Dreckman, it would be acknowledging an error...

If the umpires don't have the benefit of the doubt, then teams will be arguing calls all day and night. Whether the calls are legit or not. There is simply no precedence in the sport for fining an umpire for missing a call?

Every umpire does it.

Ok seriously...for those who saw 1st base ump Bruce Dreckman's PATHETIC call on the Matt Treanor "double play" ball...I was watching with my dad and we're curious...with a call that bad, is there some type of penalty or consequence for Dreckman? I mean, I understand "human error", its an integral part of the game of baseball...but blatantly missing an obvious call can't just go untouched, or can it? I mean the man has a job to do, and he completely failed at it...in most jobs, something has to give...

Please tell me something comes out of this...

I know we won, but thats beside the point...if we have umps making calls that bad, somethings wrong and it needs to be corrected...

Whats the procedure here? And is there any precedent for something like this?

I'm so curious on this...any help would be appreciated...

As anyone that works in the real world, all umpires are reviewed yearly for retention purpose

Plays like this are regularly reviewed by both the Commissioner's Office and umpire's (collective bargaining) organization for a number of reasons including chastisement, punishment, promotion and selecting umpiring crews for the All-Star game and playoffs, all of which include extra pay for services.

This was the second game in a row where this umpiring crew got it wrong against the Marlins. One took instant replay and an admission by the rightfielder to bring the truth out, and the other was obvious to everyone in the park. But on the whole it points to a problem within the crew and if this were to continue it could be broken up, umpires could be given days off without pay, etc.

So in short, yes, there are consequences for the umpires. I'm sure both Poncino and Dreckman will be reviewed and measures taken.

The one consequence I can think of is that you can bet Dreckman WILL NOT be working the playoffs this year after that little upchuck call at first.

A blown call like that will make his umpire rating fall faster than Reggie Abercrombie's batting average.

The one consequence I can think of is that you can bet Dreckman WILL NOT be working the playoffs this year after that little upchuck call at first.

A blown call like that will make his umpire rating fall faster than Reggie Abercrombie's batting average.

That is a blow below the belt. :lol

When Girardi went out to argue I thought for sure he would end up getting thrown out. Dreckman had a perfect view and it just looked like he made up his mind before the play unraveled. I understand bad calls happen on bang-bang plays but this was not even close.

I'd like to see Girardi thrown out of a game one of these days. It's about damn time he truly sticks up for his boys. That will light a fire under their asses for sure. I just wish he realized how seriously soft he seems sometimes.

joe didn't even get his money's worth...

as tommy hutton said that was the worst call of the year. i mean the ball wasn't even in the picture when treanor's foot was on the bag. it's an obvious call...

Guest ShaqandWade323

I'd like to see Girardi thrown out of a game one of these days. It's about damn time he truly sticks up for his boys. That will light a fire under their asses for sure. I just wish he realized how seriously soft he seems sometimes.

Don't be a dumbass, it doesn't light a fire under their asses. I don't want another Admin Bowa idiot yelling all the time, a Joe Torre replica is fine with me.