Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

John Baker or Treanor

Featured Replies

John Baker # 53

Avg: 217

Hr: 2

RBI: 6

 

or

 

Matt Treanor

AVG: 240

HR: 2

RBI: 18

 

Obviously Treanor has had more playing time but just out of the little we have seen baker what do you guys think? We still need a catcher and make a trade for pudge or molina? or do we platoon with matt and baker?

I'd go with Baker.

He's shown some pop, and seems to handle pitchers pretty well.

 

My only problem is, I don't like it when Baker catches JJ. JJ has a high leg kick, and Baker's arm isn't too great out there, so it could cause problems (it did in LA). I'm surprised Philadelphia didn't test it out more today with Rollins on base, a couple times.

  • Author

I'd go with Baker.

He's shown some pop, and seems to handle pitchers pretty well.

 

My only problem is, I don't like it when Baker catches JJ. JJ has a high leg kick, and Baker's arm isn't too great out there, so it could cause problems (it did in LA). I'm surprised Philadelphia didn't test it out more today with Rollins on base, a couple times.

 

 

Me too surprised they didn't send the runers as well. So far I'd go with baker to he has shown more potential to hit. if we get a trade and get pudge...etc will our backup be baker or treanor? and i heard something about russel martin wanting out of la is this true?

I choose baker, but i still dont want him to be our starter. We should trade for a catcher to either platoon with baker or for molina/pudge.

Id platoon baker with treanor. I love to have a vet catcher though. Pudge please. Martin out of LA i dont know hes like their franchise player. Catchers like him our rare they can hit and play steller d it cost alot to get him.

Matt Treanor has never been a good hitter.

...and he actually hits the ball worse against lefties, than he does against righties.

 

So...I'm not sure why we would platoon.

Matt Treanor has never been a good hitter.

...and he actually hits the ball worse against lefties, than he does against righties.

 

So...I'm not sure why we would platoon.

Actually it's an ideal platoon imo

Pudge? What exactly are we gonna offer the Tigers that we are willing to give up that they actually want?

 

I'll give it up for Baker right now. It's still way too early to tell honestly, but if you look at it a different way, it means he's the only one that we don't know for sure is mediocre. And for a guy who just came up, he seems to also work well with the pitchers. So even if he doesn't become an amazing .300+ hitter with 25 HRs a year, as long as he puts up competent offense with solid defense, I don't think that we'll find something better within our price range.

too soon to tell, but I think Baker is looking good. More than hitting I think a good catcher is one who can run the pitching staff and have the pitchers confidence. The lineup already has enough pop in it.

I'd take baker over treanor. Baker is unproven but has more of a upside. We've seen te best of Treanor already. We know he's a great defender with a below average bat.

 

Baker is still young and can prove to either be a great catcher, or a so so catcher. We'll see what he can provide the next month or so.

 

I'd like to see something saying Martin wants out.

 

Remember, LA has a history of trading their prize backstop in their prime. Piazza, LoDuca, Navarro. They are to catchers what UM used to be for RB's.

 

He'll follow in the footsteps of Piazza and Loduca- New York Via FLA.

 

Chris

I'd go with Baker.

He's shown some pop, and seems to handle pitchers pretty well.

 

My only problem is, I don't like it when Baker catches JJ. JJ has a high leg kick, and Baker's arm isn't too great out there, so it could cause problems (it did in LA). I'm surprised Philadelphia didn't test it out more today with Rollins on base, a couple times.

 

 

Me too surprised they didn't send the runers as well. So far I'd go with baker to he has shown more potential to hit. if we get a trade and get pudge...etc will our backup be baker or treanor? and i heard something about russel martin wanting out of la is this true?

 

Ooooohhh I would love for us to get Martin.

Treanor has been with this team for quite a while... Baker is good,

 

The 1-2 punch :punching :putemup looks good to me

We haven't seen enough of Baker to really determine this. Give him some more playing time, see how it goes. I like him a lot, and hope he does well.

I'm going to agree with the "give it more time" crowd. From what I've seen, Baker is a huge relief to our problems with offense in the catcher spot, but I have not seen the arm yet, though it does look like he can catch the pitchers, so that's good on him. So far, I like the way Bakers looked, but just give him a liiiittle bit more playing time, see if these early games are the exception and not the rule.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.