The Official Giancarlo Stanton Man Crush Thread

They say he lacks plate discipline? Well, guess who leads the league in walks since the break....

well, in fairness, he is 4th in walks.

Hes approaching Adam Dunn like levels of Three True Outcomes-dom since the All Star Break. Almost half of his PAs end in either a walk, a K, or a Hr.

It's been said before, but if he becomes Adam Dunn with the bat, worth ~3 WAR offensively, combined with ~1 WAR defensively and ~2 WAR replacement level (less ~1/2 WAR for positional adjustment), you have a 5-7 WAR player AKA All-Star/Superstar range.

They say he lacks plate discipline? Well, guess who leads the league in walks since the break....

Hes approaching Adam Dunn like levels of Three True Outcomes-dom since the All Star Break. Almost half of his PAs end in either a walk, a K, or a Hr.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/split/182/league/nl/sort/walks/order/true

Stanton's numero uno

It's been said before, but if he becomes Adam Dunn with the bat, worth ~3 WAR offensively, combined with ~1 WAR defensively and ~2 WAR replacement level (less ~1/2 WAR for positional adjustment), you have a 5-7 WAR player AKA All-Star/Superstar range.

Why compare him with Dunn? The Dunn comparison is an insult to Mike. Dunn's career OPS+ (128) is good for his position but nothing special. Mike's is already higher (129).

Why compare him with Dunn? The Dunn comparison is an insult to Mike. Dunn's career OPS+ (128) is good for his position but nothing special. Mike's is already higher (129).

I honestly fail to see how comparing Mike's bat to Dunn's bat is an insult to Mike considering Dunn was one of the most consistent power bats of the last decade. Just because Mike has had a nice follow-up to his rookie season doesn't mean it'll last. If Dunn could have played defense as well as he could mash the ball he would have been considered a superstar for a long time now. Right now Mike is Dunn+ because he can actually play defense. Strictly speaking in terms of batting abilities I see no insult in being compared to Dunn though.

I think Stanton as a prime Thome. Stanton will have a better K% than Dunn (if he doesn't already) and is already developing a good BB% rate. Dunn's K% is 30%-35%+ perennially. I don't think Stanton will be striking out that much as he has enough window to improve. Right now his K% is sub 30%. I also think Stanton has slightly more power potential than Dunn.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/split/182/league/nl/sort/walks/order/true

Stanton's numero uno

Yeah, I meant to say Ks. He's 4th in Ks.

I think Stanton as a prime Thome. Stanton will have a better K% than Dunn (if he doesn't already) and is already developing a good BB% rate. Dunn's K% is 30%-35%+ perennially. I don't think Stanton will be striking out that much as he has enough window to improve. Right now his K% is sub 30%. I also think Stanton has slightly more power potential than Dunn.

Thome is a good measuring stick for what Mike can become.

Jim Thome was walking 15% of the time out of the box and did that consistently, and never struck out more than 27% of the time during his entire career. That's not a good comparison at all.

Adam Dunn probably isn't either, as I really don't think Mike's going to walk as much.

I would say Ryan Howard's a really good bet, given a BB rate around 10-12% and a K rate between 25-30% with .275+ ISO, but with much better defense and baserunning.

Thome is a good measuring stick for what Mike can become.

Jim Thome was walking 15% of the time out of the box and did that consistently, and never struck out more than 27% of the time during his entire career. That's not a good comparison at all.

Adam Dunn probably isn't either, as I really don't think Mike's going to walk as much.

I would say Ryan Howard's a really good bet, given a BB rate around 10-12% and a K rate between 25-30% with .275+ ISO, but with much better defense and baserunning.

At this point, Stanton's window is so big that none of us can really throw numbers out there, but he has shown the ability to take walks before. I think his short and compact swing will allow him to become more selective with his pitches. Dude is only 21 years of age. Who really knows his potential?

Ryan Howard, Adam Dunn, and Jim Thome are all fair comparisons for Stanton. However, as far as plate discipline goes, Stanton can be Ryan Howard afterall. Remember peak Howard was walking 15- 17% of the time with 40- 60 bombs. That could be Stanton. Thome has drawn walks consistently throughout his career. But, I see virtually, peak Howard = peak Thome. So, the only difference being Ryan Howard OBP game wasn't as consistent as Thomes. So, as far I know, all of those comparisons are legit because we don't really know whether Stanton will develop to OBP consistency of Thome or not.

The whole idea that we need to link Stanton up to somebody is tiresome. Stanton at 21 walks more than Thome at 21. Stanton is on his way to 70-80 walks and he's been improving the entire season. Lets wait 3 years to see where Mike ends up, that way he can be the same age that Thome enjoyed his first season.

Also, some idea that Thome is not a guy with MASSIVE f***ING PILES of strikeouts is also pretty stupid. The man lead the league multiple seasons. He lived in the 170+ SO world for a long time.

Mike Stanton is going to be the first Mike Stanton. 15 years from now, people will be asking who the "next Mike Stanton" is going to be. If I were the fish I would buy out his service years, and at least 4-5 years of free agency - I would double down on Mike into his 30s.

It would be insane for Stanton to lead the NL in home runs his first full season in the majors. I expected a lot out of him, but I didn't expect it this good this early.

Also, he's proven to be extremely streaky. But when he's hot, man is he good.

He also kinda leads the league in defensive wins above replacement.............HOLY CRAP.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2011-batting-leaders.shtml

Better than Tulo, better than Bourn, better than everyone in the NL. And he's an absurdly good hitter with ridiculous talent and potential. And he's TWENTY ONE YEARS OLD. And he seems to have a great work ethic. I'm absolutely salivating right now.

He also kinda leads the league in defensive wins above replacement.............HOLY CRAP.

http://www.baseball-...g-leaders.shtml

Better than Tulo, better than Bourn, better than everyone in the NL. And he's an absurdly good hitter with ridiculous talent and potential. And he's TWENTY ONE YEARS OLD. And he seems to have a great work ethic. I'm absolutely salivating right now.

Oh, and on that defense thing, didn't he play with a bad knee or something for the first month or two? His hitting and defense both may have been even better if he had been healthy since day one.