2 Wild Cards per League in 2012

poptart

Commissioner Bud Selig announced that MLB will add two Wild Card teams -- one in each league -- for a total of ten playoff teams. Selig remains hopeful that the change will occur in 2012.

- http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

with the Astros moving to the AL in 2013 I can't believe they're pulling this sh*t.

The two Wild Card clubs are expected to meet in a one-game playoff prior to the League Division Series round, which increases the importance of winning the division.

aaaand that's where I kind of want to just stop giving a sh*t about baseball.

I asked Joe Maddon and B.J. Upton what they thought of the possibility of a second wild card back on Sept. 6, when they were still being counted out of the AL Wild Card.

Maddon, of course, loves the idea:

"I've talked about that. In a way it's a good idea. It's always going to be a good idea if you're a Ray. Playing in the division that we do, in the circumstances that we do, I think a second wild card would definitely help us. But I also believe that it's going to keep more communities and teams involved in the course of a season, which is always good for baseball, I believe. And I believe it could be done without saturating the playoff situation, so I think it's a good idea."

Upton, meanwhile, wasn't as insightful:

"I think it could be [good for baseball]. There's a couple teams out there that are going to finish with some pretty good records that might not get in the playoffs. So I don't know. Whatever happens, we're OK with it."

One wild card worked out for them in the end.

Talked about it in another thread somewhere.. I'm in favor of adding a 3rd wildcard for a total of 6 teams per league. Top two seeds in each league get a bye

Season ends on a Sunday

Tues-Thurs Wildcard Series (3 game series.. better seed gets all 3 home games)

Saturday start of LDS

I dunno.. i understand 5 days rest is too much in some peoples minds and people think baseball was meant to be played every day..

....but I think 4 extra 3 game series in a 3 day span would be wildly entertaining and something baseball needs more of.

I also think the bye team gets a big advantage with the other teams rotation's being out of order heading in to a 5 game LDS series, so I think that negates any type of disadvantage a 5 day rest may entail (even though I don't think there is one)

Meh. Im w/e about this. Just glad its one game and not 3 or 5.

It's idiotic that a much better wild card team could be eliminated in a one game decision by a considerably weaker team.

However, Admin is right in saying that more than one game is too much down time for the other teams. The whole idea is absurd.

When the Astros move to the AL West in 2013 there will be 15 teams in each league, therefore allowing year-long interleague play. Now that's where I draw the line.

That sucks too, but the wild card stuff bothers me so much more.

If they are going to have interleague play at all, it makes more sense to schedule it like they do now where it seems like a yearly event. After all, it's designed for exhibition purposes. Having it year-round completely alters that dynamic and exposes interleague play as being something awkward.

I hate the idea .... absolutely hate it

I don't think it adds anything.

Not sure what the point of doing a 1 game mini-playoff is ........ way to trivialize the entire season of a team that has a better record by forcing them into a 1 game do or die scenario and then putting them at an immediate disadvantage going into the next season as far as pitching being setup, etc

I also don't buy for a minute that adding a 2nd wildcard will make more teams interested later in the season

Look at this year - you had a really good wildcard race in both divisions - the 3rd team fell off near the end and it left a lot of drama about which team would emerge from the top two ...... as it is, you had TB & StL get in with Boston & Atlanta eliminated .... under the proposed you'd have both of them get in ........ Angels & Giants were on the edge of interest, but not close enough to really threaten for the 2nd spot ....... that next tier was far enough back that just one additional spot wasn't going to keep them more interested ... they would have been realistically eliminated about the same time

2010 you had the yankees & braves make it .... not a close race in the AL ... you would have had a little bit of additional drama at Boston & Chicago battled to see who would play the yankees for that 1 game ....... however, you would have diminished some of the importance of those yankees/red sox regular season matchups that baseball loves to promote

In the NL SD would have made the 2nd spot and they were 4 games ahead of St.L and 7 ahead of CO .... seems like more drama having SD & Atlanta come down the stretch as opposed to knowing both of them are in unless they collapse

2009 there would be some drama for the 2nd spot .... but large gaps involved as well ..... in the AL you have boston 8 games clear of TX .... 4 teams within 3 games of each other for the 2nd spot though ..... so you could have an additional draw there - but why should boston have to play a 1 game season against a team they were at least +8 against?

In the NL the rockies took it by 4 games ... you have 3 teams behind them within 2 games of each other .... yes, some drama for that 2nd spot - but again you are opening up the playoffs to a team that is in the mid-high 80s in wins

2008 Boston landed 6 ahead of the Yankees - who would have battled it out with MN for a 2nd spot ...... brewers edged the mets who would have needed to also hold off the cards & astros down the stretch

2007 in the AL you had the yankees with 6 games over detroit & seattle which would battle it out for the 2nd spot - both were 5 games clear of toronto ........ NL as usual was more compact with the rockies edging out the padres & mets ... one of those would have gotten the 2nd spot - however, they both finished 4 games clear of the braves and within 2 games of the WC .... it's not like it would have been more compelling down the stretch

I really don't like this move if it's completed

Initially, when the subject was first brought up many months ago (adding another WC team) the idea was to have a 3 game playoff for the two WC's....I thought that was tolerable but still didn't like the idea of adding another playoff team. I love that baseball is the toughest sport to earn a postseason berth. Now, with the idea of making it a one game "playoff" i hate it and highly disapprove. the system is fine how it is....quit effin' with it Selig.