Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pujols to Angels

Featured Replies

I hope the Marlins make up for my incompetent Jaguars.

 

 

God, Gabbert looked like sh*t for the most part tonight...two good drives in the first half and that was it

I hope the Marlins make up for my incompetent Jaguars.

 

 

God, Gabbert looked like sh*t for the most part tonight...two good drives in the first half and that was it

 

Not everyone can have a QB like Matt Moore.

I hope the Marlins make up for my incompetent Jaguars.

 

 

God, Gabbert looked like sh*t for the most part tonight...two good drives in the first half and that was it

 

Not everyone can have a QB like Matt Moore.

 

Matt Moore is awesome. I'm a Panthers fan, but I watch Miami on DVR/Live..along with Denver on DVR/Live. Just so fun seeing Moore/Tebow/Cam play.

  • Author

I'm fully expecting a tweet from Clark Spencer stating that Pujols was never considering the Marlins.

 

 

And Mike Stanton has been traded for Cameron Maybin.

Mike Stanton: 4.5 fWAR

Cameron Maybin: 4.7 fWAR

I'm fully expecting a tweet from Clark Spencer stating that Pujols was never considering the Marlins.

 

 

And Mike Stanton has been traded for Cameron Maybin.

Mike Stanton: 4.5 fWAR

Cameron Maybin: 4.7 fWAR

 

I DONT CARE

  • Author

UZR really liked Maybin last season for some reason; I'm not sure he's that good.

 

His brWAR was a lot lower, yeah. I was mostly trolling. There's no way he's better than GCMS.

I hope the Marlins make up for my incompetent Jaguars.

 

 

God, Gabbert looked like sh*t for the most part tonight...two good drives in the first half and that was it

 

Two good drives are better than usual. Heck, he rarely reaches 100 yards passing in each game. Tonight was his best game....which is sad.

From Rotoworld:

 

According to Scott Miller of CBSSports.com, the Marlins have "boosted" their nine-year offer to free agent first baseman Albert Pujols.

 

The Marlins' initial offer was reportedly significantly less than the offer the Cardinals made earlier this year, which was somewhere in the range of $198-210 million over nine years. No word on the specifics of Miami's improved offer, but one source with knowledge of the talks told Miller that they will likely play out more before a decision is reached. Pujols' agent had two meetings with the Marlins on Monday while also visiting with the Cardinals and Cubs.

Damn, so nothing is going down tonight.

 

 

Lmao, disappointed because we're meeting again on tuesday with the agent of the best player in baseball after signing the NL batting champ

 

love it.

  • Author

New Marlin Bell: We can beat the Phillies

 

Posted on: December 5, 2011 5:30 pm

Edited on: December 6, 2011 12:39 am

DALLAS -- Heath Bell, done. Jose Reyes, done.

 

Now owner Jeffrey Loria says the Marlins can add more, and you'd better believe it. The Marlins met twice with the agent for Albert Pujols on Monday, sources said late Monday night, boosting its nine-year offer in the process and giving the slugger even more to think about.

 

No decision was imminent as midnight approached, and one person with knowledge of the talks said they likely will play out more before a decision is reached. The Cardinals also met with Pujols' agent, Dan Lozano, on Monday, and so did the Cubs.

 

But it is the Marlins who have stolen the show early in these winter meetings, and it is their efforts for Pujols that have electrified the lobby here at the Hilton Anatole.

 

Pujols in the same lineup with Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, Mike Stanton and others?

 

"That would be great," Bell told CBSSports.com Monday. "I'm telling you right now, we definitely can win the NL East, even with just Reyes."

 

Imagine that. Even with just Reyes.

 

As in, gee, even if we don't sign Pujols, we've got an embarrassment of riches.

 

"I think we can win the division right now," Bell continued. "The Phillies, I think we can beat 'em.

 

"Ryan Howard is hurt. They might not be getting Jimmy Rollins back."

 

It is a tilting landscape and a bizarro world. As Rollins continued to frost out on the free agent market Thursday, sources said the Phillies were discussing free agent third baseman Aramis Ramirez. Then they'd trade Placido Polanco, and maybe get a shortstop elsewhere

 

Whatever on the Phillies front. The Marlins are charging hard toward their new stadium and toward the top of the NL East.

 

Owner Jeffrey Loria would not speak directly about Pujols on Monday, but not because that's some crazy rumor.

 

"I don't want to talk about Albert," Loria said. "That's not the purpose of today. This is Heath's day."

 

Tuesday or, more likely, Wednesday will be Reyes' day, the day the Marlins introduce him formally here at the winter meetings.

 

Meantime, they're working hard toward another addition. The Pujols talks are serious. So are those for a starting pitcher. One person close to the Marlins suggested Monday night that free agent left-hander Mark Buehrle actually is above Pujols on the club's wish list. Loria has told people that the club's payroll, roughly $45 million last year, could zoom to the $100 million range in 2012.

 

When this winter started, that seemed like a bad joke.

 

Nobody, and I mean nobody, thinks the Marlins aren't serious now.

 

"I'm a serious guy," Loria said. "I don't know how many times I have to tell you guys that."

 

You cannot even begin to describe how different life is for the Marlins, whose executives arrived here about midday Monday. These are the guys -- Loria, president of baseball operations Admin Beinfest, general manager Michael Hill -- who sold their wares on the streets of the winter meetings in years past because they were so poor.

 

These are the guys who traded Miguel Cabrera to Detroit, Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to Boston. ...

 

"We had a plan a few years ago," Loria said. "That's the reason why Mike Stanton is here, the reason why Logan Morrison is here, the reason why Hanley Ramirez is here."

 

As Beinfest says, the Marlins plan always was to compete, they just had to find extra creative ways to do so.

 

Now?

 

"It's fun," Beinfest kept saying Monday. "It's fun to come in here and sign an All-Star closer. There's nothing wrong with that."

 

In a perfect Marlins world, they'd leave Dallas on Thursday with Bell, Reyes and Pujols or Buehrle all done. But as quickly as they're moving, there's still some uncertainty.

 

"We'd love to get things done as fast as possible and achieve our goals," Beinfest said. "But we don't control everything. It takes two to tango."

 

Sure does. But the Marlins have entered the free agent market with swagger and are causing some folks to dance as fast as they can. Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt said earlier Monday that he remains "hopeful" of signing Pujols.

 

"We're making every effort" to sign him, DeWitt said.

 

Well if they're serious, the Cardinals had better get moving. Because the Marlins are as serious as a spring breaker hell-bent on ravaging the Fort Lauderdale nightlife.

 

"We want to do more," Beinfest said. "We'd like to do more. There are some things we'd like to achieve.

 

"We're still in conversation with free agents and with clubs."

 

Every door is open, including trades -- with players both going and coming. Loria mostly remained tight-lipped regarding diva superstar Hanley Ramirez, who now must shove over to third base to make room for Reyes.

 

"Hanley is a super-professional," Loria said. "That's all I will say. We will work with him, make everything comfortable for him."

 

You bet they will. They're making everything comfortable for Bell, Reyes and others as they go. Loria anticipates attendance bumping up to somewhere between 2.8 and 3 million in 2012. They drew an NL-low 1.5 million last year.

 

They win like Bell says they can, maybe there really, finally, will be a buzz around the Marlins.

 

Said Beinfest: "It's time for this organization to play October baseball."

 

http://scott-miller.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/33714540

UZR really liked Maybin last season for some reason; I'm not sure he's that good.

 

His brWAR was a lot lower, yeah. I was mostly trolling. There's no way he's better than GCMS.

I know. I only brought it up because it's interesting.

 

I usually tend to give fWAR more weight than rWAR because I've always considered UZR to be better than TZ, but something is screwy with that number for Maybin.

The more I think about all this FA madness, I'd rather see the Marlins get Engleberg (Catcher), Tanner (SS), and Kelly Leak (OF)

Jon_Heyman Jon Heyman

 

hearing #Marlins boosted offer to pujols to 10 years, matching arod's in length. they are obvs pushing hard.

 

 

 

yesssss

 

-MLBTR

Okay, now I'm getting a little worried. That's some pretty serious cash. Pujols would be under contract through age 42 (assuming he's his stated age, which I doubt).

 

One has to think the Marlins know what they are doing, though. Maybe Loria is planning on using some of his personal fortune in order to finance this.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.