Pujols to Angels

mystikol87

I'd rather get 2 SP's than Pujols. The upgrade from Volstad and Javy to Buehrle and someone decent figures to be a better use of money than an upgrade from Gaby to Pujols. We could sign Buehrle and Wilson and take less risk than signing Pujols for 9 years, and our team would probably be much better off. It would essentially make us a complete team.

Agreed. Not that I'd be too upset if we did get Pujols instead of ptiching

It sounds like they have enough money to sign Pujols + Buehrle/Wilson. And then they will trade for another starter. I'm down with that.

I read somewhere this morning that the both the Cardinals' and Marlins' offers had large amounts of deferred payments, so as to allow the winning bidder to have the ability to build a competitive team around Pujols.

It sounds like they have enough money to sign Pujols + Buehrle/Wilson. And then they will trade for another starter. I'm down with that.

We'll be hamstrung financially, though. I can't believe they'd have enough money to sign Pujols and one of Buehrle or Wilson and then more to have any sort of flexibility in the future. This team can be dominant with Buehrle and Wilson behind JJ. Gaby's a decent 1B. I think I'd rather look towards CF before 1B, because we still aren't sure if Bonifacio can maintain good production.

As far as deferred payments go, Bobby Bonilla comes to mind. I think it's really irresponsible.

we should sign buehrle or wilson and trade ricky then re-sign javy

getting rid of ricky clears 9 million this year. hes worth 5 at most.

No, he's not worth "5 at most." You're not comparing it to what similar pitchers are getting on the market.

regardless hes not worth 20.5 million over the next two years with ERA's between 4.5 and 5, declining strikouts, and ballooning whips.

javy is a very good stop gap to next year and we wouldnt have to worry about 11.5 million going to ricky then either.

We'll be hamstrung financially, though. I can't believe they'd have enough money to sign Pujols and one of Buehrle or Wilson and then more to have any sort of flexibility in the future. This team can be dominant with Buehrle and Wilson behind JJ. Gaby's a decent 1B. I think I'd rather look towards CF before 1B, because we still aren't sure if Bonifacio can maintain good production.

How do you know they will be hamstrung financially?

One has to assume that the Marlins have analyzed revenue projections and know what they are doing.

I'm starting to wonder if Pujols falls through, will they focus on Prince?

Doubt it, we have Gaby. The move is to draw attention so that people come to the park and fill the seats. They want the newspapers, radio and tv all saying we signed the BEST player in baseball so come see him play, not we sign Prince Fielder, one of the best hitters in the game. They want to draw the same attention the Heat did. Also it helps that he plays much better defense than Fielder too, something to help an infield that has been cursed with horrible fielding for quite some time. It's more that some fantasy glam move, they want to bring the fans back and make new ones.

edit : . . . haha read the post wrong, nevermind what i just said

One has to assume that the Marlins have analyzed revenue projections and know what they are doing.

Seems to me like they're betting on tons of interest from the city - and that's probably tied to tons of on-field success. I get the feeling that many of these projections carry some risk of being very inaccurate, especially if the team struggles in year 2 or 3.

No, he's not worth "5 at most." You're not comparing it to what similar pitchers are getting on the market.

regardless hes not worth 20.5 million over the next two years with ERA's between 4.5 and 5, declining strikouts, and ballooning whips.

javy is a very good stop gap to next year and we wouldnt have to worry about 11.5 million going to ricky then either.

Javy Vazquez does not want to pitch for this team; it's unknown if he even wants to pitch at all next year.

Javy Vazquez does not want to pitch for this team; it's unknown if he even wants to pitch at all next year.

How do you know he doesn't want to pitch for this team?

when he says he doesnt then fine. but i dont see any other team worth playing for if i was him. i think the whole ozzie stuff is blown out of proportion.

Seems to me like they're betting on tons of interest from the city - and that's probably tied to tons of on-field success. I get the feeling that many of these projections carry some risk of being very inaccurate, especially if the team struggles in year 2 or 3.

It's not a shot in the dark. They know how many season ticket sales they have lined up already and can assume that even if they aren't selling out every game, attendance will likely reach a certain minimum (averaging above 25,000/night is a pretty safe bet).

It sounds like you are just talking out of your ass, because you have really no evidence to support it.

If Loria and crew somehow pull it off where they sign both Pujols and Wilson this would be the greatest free agent haul of all time in any sport.

Bell

Reyes

Pujols

Wilson

I don't know if they can get it done but man does it sound like they're trying.

LeBron James, Chris Bosh, and Dwyane Wade all say hello.

Sorry, but those 3 are much bigger. From a sport where only 5 players start and they're as individualistic as ever, 'The Big 3' wont be topped for quite a while.

How do you know he doesn't want to pitch for this team?

I believe Ken Rosenthal insinuated that a couple of weeks ago on account of Vazquez's relationship with Guillen. I think there have been other rumors of the sort that acknowledge an awkward relationship between the two.

Nothing is certain, though.

If Loria and crew somehow pull it off where they sign both Pujols and Wilson this would be the greatest free agent haul of all time in any sport.

Bell

Reyes

Pujols

Wilson

I don't know if they can get it done but man does it sound like they're trying.

I may agree. Obviously Riley bringing in the big 3 was impressive, but imo, reeling in a Pujols is tougher than reeling in LeBron a year ago.

I never really considered Wade a free agent, technically he was but I didn't think he would leave Miami, well I thought there was a chance but a slim one.

I guess I should rephrase it as the greatest free agent haul of players brought in from other teams.

In terms of South Florida, it's been incredible what they've done though in each off-season past in every sport. The only team who hasn't stolen the gold is the Dolphins.

I never really considered Wade a free agent, technically he was but I didn't think he would leave Miami, well I thought there was a chance but a slim one.

I guess I should rephrase it as the greatest free agent haul of players brought in from other teams.

In terms of South Florida, it's been incredible what they've done though in each off-season past in every sport. The only team who hasn't stolen the gold is the Dolphins.

Karlos Dansby and Brandon Marshall as well as Reggie Bush would like to have a word with you