Pujols to Angels

mystikol87

The problem is that you are probably overstating the degree to which the ballpark matters for the player. It might factor in on some level, but you are trying to put an astronomically high number on it ($100 million).

You might think that athletes might not need to make anymore money after $100 million or so, but I really don't see any evidence for that. Obviously that second hundred million means something to athletes or else you wouldn't be seeing guys like Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods wasting their time with product endorsements. Woods didn't have to accumulate a net worth of over a billion, but he obviously wanted to get it.

People have also neglected to mention federal income tax. For a $100 million contract, the player keeps maybe a little over $60 million of that. That alone makes the second hundred million much more desirable.

I would play on a dirt field in Tijuana if it meant I could earn a second $100 million.

As I think you were alluding to, the prestige can also be important. And, with Pujols, who is maybe one of the all-time greats, it wouldn't surprise me if, as a matter of pride, he wanted to be paid like one (in addition to the tangible benefits of more money, of course).

It's also worth noting that if Pujols "didn't care about the money" he probably would have negotiated something with the Cardinals already to avoid free agency. I suppose that if he really hated the organization that might change things, but his desire to "test the market" seems to be almost entirely financially motivated. If the Cardinals offer is still on the table and indeed in the range of $200 million, don't expect to see Pujols sign elsewhere for considerably less.

I also suspect that the players union would bully the hell out of him if he even tried to take less money.

So lets say..he really is "leaving it up to god." That implies more personal motivations. While he may be looking at the dollar signs, it may be because he needs to figure out how those dollar signs; and what town they're coming from - will affect his faith and family. Sure maybe he'll get more money from _________ ballclub...but I think it's important to keep in mind the conversation he'll have with his family about moving somewhere else. They have a lot of ties in St. Lou.

Danny Knobler of CBSsports.com hears that the Cubs will try to sign Albert Pujols to a shorter contract with higher annual salaries.

It's not a bad strategy. Pujols reportedly has a nine-year offer worth around $200 million from the Cardinals, which would be the third-largest contract in baseball history, but the $22 million average annual value would tie with Adrian Gonzalez for 12th in baseball. In addition to the Cubs, St. Louis will have competition from the Marlins. According to ESPN.com, Miami is expected "to make an aggressive run at Pujols over the next two days."