The Official Jose Fernandez Man (Boy?) Crush Thread

Tampa had the foresight to do a long term deal with Matt Moore after his first yr. As usual they just know how to do it right. Wouldn't it be about time for Loria to learn a lesson or two from them and start negotiating a fair long term deal with Jose now? At least buy out one free agent year .

Jose Fernandez has the highest average rating of any pitcher on thebaseballcube.com (I think)

Control: 76

K-Rating: 94

Efficiency: 98

vsPower: 96

AVERAGE RATING: 91

Just to post a some average ratings of different pitchers:

Walter Johnson: 89.75

Cy Young: 87

Stephen Strasburg: 81.75

Clayton Kershaw: 73.5

Felix Hernandez: 72.75

Roger Clemens: 79.75

Pedro Martinez: 80.75

Randy Johnson: 68.5

Nolan Ryan: 62.5

Tom Seaver: 68.75

Justin Verlander: 73.75

Matt Harvey: 62.25

Not to say that this system is the most accurate, but it's pretty cool to have Fernandez as the only pitcher with average rating over 90

Comparing the Fernandez hype to D-Train

MIAMI — “Jose Mania� continues to build.

Jose Fernandez, the Marlins’ rookie sensation, takes the mound on Friday night in the series opener against the red-hot Cleveland Indians, riding a season-best eight-game winning streak.

Fernandez, who turned 21 on Wednesday, is garnering more and more attention with every outing.

In many ways, the passion Fernandez is creating rivals when Dontrelle Willis broke on the big league scene as a 21-year-old in 2003.

“He’s similiar,� said Juan Pierre, who witnessed both pitchers. “Jose is a high-energy guy. He brings out a few more fans to the game when he was on the mound. Dontrelle, he brought everybody to the game when he pitched. So there are a lot of similarities.

“Being young and energetic — running off the field, staying in the dugout after he comes out of the game, signing autographs. He’s always upbeat with the fans. It’s refreshing to see, that’s for sure.�

Back in 2003, “D-Train Mania� was the rage, as the left-hander energized the Marlins on his way to receiving NL Rookie of the Year honors.

While the 2013 Marlins are a young team with emerging, young talent, Fernandez has been a spark to the club’s turnaround after going 14-41 in April and May. Since then, the Marlins are 28-24.

Fernandez has been a big part of the team’s improvement.

Like Willis, Fernandez was named an All-Star as a rookie.

Fernandez also is putting himself in the conversation for NL Rookie of the Year. Chances are, he is a long shot, largely because the Marlins plan on shutting him down when he gets close to 170 innings.

In his first 20 starts, Fernandez has 119 2/3 innings. His 124 strikeouts match St. Louis’ Shelby Miller for most among NL Rookies.

If Fernandez averages seven innings over his next six starts, chances are he will be shut down at just over 160 innings in late August.

Fernandez’s 2.71 ERA is the lowest among rookie NL starters.

Pierre is impressed with how Fernandez has handled himself at such a young age.

“He was probably a little more reserved before that, because he was new,� Pierre said. “Now, he is more like, everybody knows him and his personality. It’s fun to watch.�

– Joe Frisaro

http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/2013/08/02/jofz-mania-brings-back-memories-of-the-d-train/

I don't think that Fernandez is energizing the fanbase nearly as much as Willis did in 2003. That's mostly because the average fan has tuned out from the Marlins in general.

I think that for the most part Fernandez is energizing the loyal fanbase. He's not really drawing out people to the park. Friday night's masterful performance brought out only 17,700 fans and that's on a Friday night as opposed to a weeknight. That is the least attended game of this homestand.

Tommy Hutton's rant was pretty spot on. Fernandez is awesome but for the most part people don't give a shit.

I don't think that Fernandez is energizing the fanbase nearly as much as Willis did in 2003. That's mostly because the average fan has tuned out from the Marlins in general.

I think that for the most part Fernandez is energizing the loyal fanbase. He's not really drawing out people to the park. Friday night's masterful performance brought out only 17,700 fans and that's on a Friday night as opposed to a weeknight. That is the least attended game of this homestand.

Tommy Hutton's rant was pretty spot on. Fernandez is awesome but for the most part people don't give a s***.

True but also by the time D-Train really took off, the team was playing great and found themselves in the WC race. So combine the electricity of Willis with the bandwagon effect of being in a playoff race, and you get your turnouts. And it also wasn't right after another firesale.

Like you said, how many of the "tuned out" average fans are going to see a last place team play a meaningless August game despite of who's pitching?

Maybe next year if Fernandez continues to impress and the team is at least average enough, he can bring in the fans that Willis did. A hotshot Cuban pitcher in Miami? Hard to fuck that up.

This kid......I like this kid.

"I like to compete, like everybody in here," Fernandez said. "Nobody likes losing. This team is going to bring a lot of surprises. This year, we started horrible, like everybody knows. It's not a secret. But next year, there are a lot of people out there that I'm saying, 'Be careful.'"

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_08_02_clemlb_miamlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=mia#disqus_thread

I feel like he is impossible not to like. He loves to have fun, he is absolutely fantastic, and he has seemed to embrace the fan base despite its lack of attendance.

I mean, clearly the last part is just a matter of saying the right things, but a lot of players ignore it or talk badly about it.

Well, the lack of attendance is much less noticeable with half the seats of Sun Life Stadium... I could understand the players' frustration when all you can see is orange seats.

I feel like he is impossible not to like. He loves to have fun, he is absolutely fantastic, and he has seemed to embrace the fan base despite its lack of attendance.

I mean, clearly the last part is just a matter of saying the right things, but a lot of players ignore it or talk badly about it.

Well, the lack of attendance is much less noticeable with half the seats of Sun Life Stadium... I could understand the players' frustration when all you can see is orange seats.

Not just that but 15K cheering at the new ballpark sound much louder than even 30K did at Joe Robbie. This place gets fantastically loud.

I feel like he is impossible not to like. He loves to have fun, he is absolutely fantastic, and he has seemed to embrace the fan base despite its lack of attendance.I mean, clearly the last part is just a matter of saying the right things, but a lot of players ignore it or talk badly about it.

Well, the lack of attendance is much less noticeable with half the seats of Sun Life Stadium... I could understand the players' frustration when all you can see is orange seats.Not just that but 15K cheering at the new ballpark sound much louder than even 30K did at Joe Robbie. This place gets fantastically loud. Absolutely. I took my first visit last night and was blown away by everything. It really did sound like a lot more than 17K.