Rest in Peace, Marlins HR Sculpture

Italian Marlins Fan

Not sure why they are so against it. And they can’t just get rid of it because it was a government commissioned artwork so they will have to put it somewhere. 

I'm with you - it's certainly bizarre, but it's kinda fun watching it go off (not that it's happened much this year).

That's the only issue I see with wanting it out, it's literally massive and not that bad that I feel we need to change it out. If you want to change it as some sort of passing of the old ownership to the new one I'd understand though. There's a bunch of county stuff as well they'd have to clear before they could anyways so that's why I think it stays.

Great question... if it goes then what goes in it's place?

Suggestions anyone?

I was reading this article yesterday where they were talking about it:

https://www.fishstripes.com/2018/9/5/17820294/marlins-rumors-home-run-sculpture-removal-derek-jeter-new-fan-attractions

They had a few proposals:

-a water slide for kids

-a sandy beach area with lounge chairs

-Marlins "hall of fame" sort of like Yankees monument park (this is my least favorite idea, as it'll just leave a giant hole in the ground.)

-they also said take the opportunity to move in the fences in that area.

----

If they remove it, though, they could open that entire ground level area up, though - it wouldn't have to be confined to the "bowl" that the sculpture currently rests in.

----

The beach idea isn't crazy, but to me, that would have to be done in conjunction with redeveloping the Clevelander area into a kids-friendly zone with the pool, beach, and water slide (combining a few ideas from the link) - put some live palm trees back in like they originally were going to do.  Perhaps they could do something more interactive for kids too - like an aquarium type thing with more fish (ties into the backstops), maybe even a touch/feel tank or something.

I would then redevelop another area of the park and move the Clevelander there (perhaps in the 3B line upper deck between the columns, or under the right field seats?) if they want to keep the nightclub aspect it gives.  That would make the idea of having the Clevelander open after the games more difficult, though, as having it on the outer edge/open to the outside lends well to that (they can keep it "separate" from the rest of the park while they clean up/shut things down).

I’ve dedicated very little time to discussing or even thinking about the home run sculpture, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before.  Considering the uproar it seems to create, I find the sculpture’s operating effects to be pretty muted and underwhelming.  This isn’t a critique, just an observation.  I don’t care what happens to it, but if it does go away I would like to think that they made it go away because they already had something specific in mind for that area. 

Water slide for kids? I don't know if they were being funny but putting that there puts kids in danger of getting plunked by home runs lol 

Not a bad idea, and for safety, just put the netting in front.  This past year, they put a kids zone back behind the outfield, but it is a joke compared to other stadiums where kids can run on soft grass, have water shooting fountains, playground equip etc., but at Marlins Park it is a small area with nothing to do but climb on a few "animals".  Billy shows up but is only available for about 1/2 inning and then he runs off to go back to the other stadium areas, leaving kids disappointed if time runs out to take a picture with Billy.  Just a way to get young families back to the park and be able to bring the kids with something else to do if they are too young to really watch 3 hours of baseball.